Racism Part two

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

What on earth has been happening over the last week with the far left  protesting, and what an earth is wrong being proud of your heritage and proud of your nation

Because our heritage of war mongering and imperialism is rather shameful

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Community service for all involved. To be spent talking down other statues.

(credit Newsthump)

That sounds a very liberal way of doing it:

"Excuse me, sir, you've been up there far too long and people really don't want to see you any more. Do you mind, awfully, coming down. Yes, yes, that's a good chap." :)

Edit: Gender assumptions yada yada.

Edited by snowychap

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hard to keep up on this thread. Are we now comparing Churchill to Hitler?

Nope. We were discussing Churchill whilst being the hero of WWII also being quite an evil racist. We never got around to his views on Arabs and Islam though, they are quite delightful too

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Because our heritage of war mongering and imperialism is rather shameful

you are completely missing the point if you do not mind me saying so. All of the major powers in and around the time of imperialism were fighting for the same thing for themselves, Napoleon wanted it, the Spanish wanted it list goes on and on and on. I find no shame in what happened because it was dog eat dog in those times and you are trying to compare it to a modern society which is totally irrelevant. Every country that could bear arms wanted to control the ever expanding world, this is fact and should be taken into consideration 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

What on earth do you mean by direct action, direct action against what, ludicrous

What's ludicrous, is that you're asking me a question that you already know he answer to, just so you can put ludicrous at the end of the sentence

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nope. We were discussing Churchill whilst being the hero of WWII also being quite an evil racist. We never got around to his views on Arabs and Islam though, they are quite delightful too

Fair enough. You reckon it justifies vandalising his statue?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

you are completely missing the point if you do not mind me saying so. All of the major powers in and around the time of imperialism were fighting for the same thing for themselves, Napoleon wanted it, the Spanish wanted it list goes on and on and on. I find no shame in what happened because it was dog eat dog in those times and you are trying to compare it to a modern society which is totally irrelevant. Every country that could bear arms wanted to control the ever expanding world, this is fact and should be taken into consideration 

Well sure.

But you don't actually have to celebrate that, do you?

8 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Well yes, Spain and all the other colonial powers have shameful and bloody histories. All of this can be true. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hitler  was an evil racist

Just now, bickster said:

I think it's about time we viewed Churchill for what he actually was not the idealised image we're currently being given

I agree with that. Same could be said of icons such as Mandela and Ghandi. 

Vandalising statues is not the way though. 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think it's about time we viewed Churchill for what he actually was not the idealised image we're currently being given

The man who led us to victory against the most evil fascist racist threat to our way of life that has ever existed, try and rewrite the truth as much as much as you wish , Thankfully you can have an opinion which you would’ve not had if not for him

Edited by Follyfoot

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Hitler  was an evil racist

Simple declarative sentences on the one hand . . .

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

. . . moral relativist prevarication on the other.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The man who would like us to victory against the most evil fascist racist threat to our way of life that has ever existed

Quite true, can people who are calling him an evil racist actually picture what life would have been like here under Nazi rule. Its ridiculous. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'd certainly hope Belgium for example doesn't idealize and have statues/streets after King Leopold II (fully expect to be proven wrong on this :lol: ).

They have statues, I believe.

I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of people climbing on one in Belgium today on twitter.

Edited by snowychap
No idea where Beligium is!
  • Like 1

Â