Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

30 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I'm not sure it's been as bad a signing as some are making out here.

We signed him for (depending on where you Google) €5m - €7m, which isn't a whole lot.

Despite being in a new country with precious few French speakers in our squad at the time, he helped us to stay up, helped us to a cup final, and then when things went a bit sour, went out on loan, saving us a bit on his wages if nothing else.

It's not been a great transfer no doubt, but it's hardly a Balaban type situation.

He was bought to either help us stay up, or to get us out of the championship, he filled that remit just about.

Not every transfer we make has to be 0/10 or 10/10, there's plenty of grey area in between.

I hope he plays plenty and gets to enjoy the rest of his career. Good luck Fred.

Totally agree, I'd rate his time with us a solid 6.... He did the job we bought him for, but he's not going to be good enough for where we want to go.

Why we have to hate a player if we don't love him seems ridiculous.

Hope he gets a move that suits him, I wish him all the best with his future endeavours.

• Like 4

He was signed for the championship if you remember but we got promoted so he was thrown into the Premier League. The problem for a lot of our signings was that the Premier League had progressed so fast in the 3 seasons we were in the championship that some struggled and in hindsight we’d have bought a couple premier league cloggers to help bring them through.

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I'm not sure it's been as bad a signing as some are making out here.

We signed him for (depending on where you Google) €5m - €7m, which isn't a whole lot.

Despite being in a new country with precious few French speakers in our squad at the time, he helped us to stay up, helped us to a cup final, and then when things went a bit sour, went out on loan, saving us a bit on his wages if nothing else.

It's not been a great transfer no doubt, but it's hardly a Balaban type situation.

He was bought to either help us stay up, or to get us out of the championship, he filled that remit just about.

Not every transfer we make has to be 0/10 or 10/10, there's plenty of grey area in between.

I hope he plays plenty and gets to enjoy the rest of his career. Good luck Fred.

Well. He was there I suppose...

We signed him as a championship club that looked to be staying in the championship (and despite a promo rise no doubt) he's still earning such a salary that despite really impressive performances in France we couldn't shift him, we couldn't get a fee and we will still be paying part of his contract.

We. Need. To. Do. Better.

It's poor. So so poor and these owners are going to continue to underwrite constant losses on players.

Edited by rodders0223

8 hours ago, turvontour said:

I mean to be fair, that was the summer that we had to buy about half of a premier league squad with £100 million. There were likely to be a few that would never work/feature, but then we've arguably got decent value out of Douglas Luiz, Konsa etc.

We had him lined before in January, so it was always a bit of a half championship/premier league signing. I never felt that the regime had total trust in his ability.

8 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Poor signing all things considered. Glad he has gone.

How? He helped us stay up from a near impossible position and scored to help us get to a cup final

I can think of hundreds of worse Villa players

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

A very likeable personality but one of the very few that Deano didnt get on with.

Not convinced that's true. I just don't think he rated/trusted him. Freddie posted a positive thank you message about Deano across his socials when he left, and he wasn't even at Villa at the time (was out on loan).

Anyway, I think he's a very average RB. Likeable, certainly, but he is very average.

Pleased for him that he played a part the season we stayed up.

Edited by Tom13

8 hours ago, DJBOB said:

We'll always have Everton at home when we came back up!

He was amazing that night, loads of Delaney style slide tackles near the end. Also set up a goal for El Ghazi v Burnley with a lovely cross.

Then lost his way a bit like Engels from a bright start and just reverted to occasional starter. Did he actually play for us again after covid hit, you're talking about nearly three years so well overdue he's moving on and makes sense to go back home where he's played well on loan at two different clubs.

8 hours ago, villa89 said:

We saw enough of him to see he wasn't anywhere near good enough. Yet another signing we have to pay to get rid of. Our recruitment over the years has been diabolical.

He was only 4m wasn't he so I don't see those transfers as that bad. In modern premier league it's basically a 500k punt from the late 90s.

Someone like Sanson is someone we should be getting more value from. A 15m signing with his experience shouldn''t see 2/3 of that wiped off two years later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

He was amazing that night, loads of Delaney style slide tackles near the end. Also set up a goal for El Ghazi v Burnley with a lovely cross.

Then lost his way a bit like Engels from a bright start and just reverted to occasional starter. Did he actually play for us again after covid hit, you're talking about nearly three years so well overdue he's moving on and makes sense to go back home where he's played well on loan at two different clubs.

Played (and scored!) against Barrow in the LC last season but I don't remember any other games. 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's madness to me that that season was three years ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How? He helped us stay up from a near impossible position and scored to help us get to a cup final

I can think of hundreds of worse Villa players

He needs to go if he is not part of the first team group. Both Villa and FG need closure. It isn't healthy.  I get that some fans have fond memories of Fred's first season but he is not helping us by staying and not playing games. 

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

He needs to go if he is not part of the first team group. Both Villa and FG need closure. It isn't healthy.  I get that some fans have fond memories of Fred's first season but he is not helping us by staying and not playing games. 

You said he was a poor signing though. Not that he needs to go now.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

He's gone out on two seperate loans in successive seasons and played very well for both. Not his fault we loan him to clubs who can't afford him permanently.

We probably should've loaned him to someone like Fulham when they were in championship. He plays 40 games for them in a promotion season and we could've got 4-5m back no problem.

Instead he comes back expecting a chance in pre season and is then left out of premier league 25 man squad instead.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

You said he was a poor signing though. Not that he needs to go now.

Correct. I think he has been. He has been here just under four years. What has he done here? Really? He has been a poor signing if we are being honest. But some fans have different views on his achievements and I respect that. I think we are lowing the bar if we are praising him for his first season (and that only). 

Â