Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

It’s good news and I agree that we are better with him in the team, not only for his ability, but his leadership and all round good eggness!  It’s just that if he makes a rick then it seems to end up in our net - maybe he’s just been unlucky, who knows ?

But no matter he has earned the right to be our first choice centre half 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The worst example was that Man City goal, where people jumped on here to slaughter him. 

2 days later the Premier league changed the rules so that a goal like that couldn't happen again.

Yeah but it was his fault for not knowing the future rules of the league. Harry Maguire would know that😉

• Haha 4

its a no brainer extending Mings' contract.

He is probably, almost certainly, currently our best central defender (we havent seen anything of Carlos to compare, so im comparing to Konsa/Chambers etc).

In the short to maybe medium term Mings will be really important for us, and even if in the medium to long term he isnt a guaranteed starter if Emery brings a new defender in, he is still an excellent player to compete for the starting slot and would add depth to the squad.

tbh i think we need one central defender in the summer, then have Mings, Carlos, Konsa and a new guy competing for the 2 central defender spots.

Get rid of Chambers tbh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

There's also a big section that jump at any opportunity to criticise the man 

I was one of them as I always thought that he was one of the reasons why our managers were failing when, especially in Gerrard’s case, it was the other way around.

I hold my hands up and say that I’m completely wrong and I’m delighted that Mings is probably going to finish is PL career with us.

I’m not really sure why I ever doubted it to be honest as Villa and CB’s with serious knee injuries in the past have always been a match made in heaven.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

its a no brainer extending Mings' contract.

He is probably, almost certainly, currently our best central defender (we havent seen anything of Carlos to compare, so im comparing to Konsa/Chambers etc).

In the short to maybe medium term Mings will be really important for us, and even if in the medium to long term he isnt a guaranteed starter if Emery brings a new defender in, he is still an excellent player to compete for the starting slot and would add depth to the squad.

tbh i think we need one central defender in the summer, then have Mings, Carlos, Konsa and a new guy competing for the 2 central defender spots.

Get rid of Chambers tbh.

So I'd definitely sign a new right sided centre back. The higher calibre the better. But i'd still keep Chambers. Chamber versatility means he can always have a place in the squad. He is decent cover for 3 positions. and if we want to build a squad that compete for cups and in Europe then you need a player like Chambers to supplement the squad. Now if Chambers wants to leave, then move him on.

Mings extending his contract is good news. He is our top CB, he is a ball player and the quickest of our defenders, all essential qualitie to how we are trying to play.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

When was this?

Before or after he made him club captain and played him nearly every game.

He dropped Tyrone just before he was sacked and we played even worse. Then I think someone got sent off and he had to come on anyway.

Edited by WallisFrizz

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

When was this?

Yeah scapegoated is a bit OTT, Dean dropped him just before he got sacked and to be fair Mings wasn't playing all that well.  A big call dropping the captain and I think we got thumped at home from memory, which is never a good look.  

Gerrard treated him like shit as a power move on the other hand.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

When was this?

Ty was very diplomatic about it, but you can tell he was frustated by his treatment 

“Without bashing a man who doesn’t have the ability to defend himself any more because he’s no longer the manager – and respectfully because we went on an amazing journey together – I didn’t agree with the decision at the time. It felt like I was being scapegoated a little bit. But the manager is the manager and he felt that was the right moment to take me out of the team."

Yes, the team was struggling but to drop your captain the way he did was one of Smith's big mistakes 

38 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

He dropped Tyrone just before he was sacked and we played even worse. Then I think someone got sent off and he had to come on anyway.

He did yes. We got ripped apart 4-1 by West Ham and Konsa got himself sent off and Mings came on. Smith claimed he dropped Ty for Hause to ‘deal with their set pieces’. Laughable. 

He honestly should be loved way more than he is by Villa fans, it's quite baffling. Twitter on match days where he's not playing like Maldini is insufferable. Also stupid little nitpicks like him chewing gum are often brought up. Any other club and he'd be close to if not a legend.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

He honestly should be loved way more than he is by Villa fans, it's quite baffling. Twitter on match days where he's not playing like Maldini is insufferable. Also stupid little nitpicks like him chewing gum are often brought up. Any other club and he'd be close to if not a legend.

I think some of our fan base can’t accept his politics or that he speaks his mind. I find people zoning on his every touch or piece of body language exhausting. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

Just now, The_Steve said:

I think some of our fan base can’t accept his politics but that he speaks his mind. I find people zoning on his every touch or piece of body language exhausting. 

It's also reflected in how much other fans (like Leeds for example) hate him. It makes no sense. The only set of fans I can kind of understand it for is United fans as there was the whole Ibra incident which soured them on him.

The guy is a model pro and an exceptional person. Some people just can't handle that he's outspoken on issues he's passionate about. I'm sure they'd like him more if he were constantly whining about cancel culture or something though.

Â