Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

He dropped Tyrone just before he was sacked and we played even worse. Then I think someone got sent off and he had to come on anyway.

54 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Ty was very diplomatic about it, but you can tell he was frustated by his treatment 

“Without bashing a man who doesn’t have the ability to defend himself any more because he’s no longer the manager – and respectfully because we went on an amazing journey together – I didn’t agree with the decision at the time. It felt like I was being scapegoated a little bit. But the manager is the manager and he felt that was the right moment to take me out of the team."

Yes, the team was struggling but to drop your captain the way he did was one of Smith's big mistakes 

A manager dropping a poorly performing player isn't scapegoating them. The way he did? What way did he drop him?

Poor form from Mings to use that phrase. He's kidding himself if he thinks he was playing well. We had lots of issues, he was one of many.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's kidding himself if he thinks he was playing well

Don't think that was the reasoning, everyone was playing badly, he felt like he was the one chosen as a sacrificial lamb

58 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

A manager dropping a poorly performing player isn't scapegoating them. The way he did? What way did he drop him?

Poor form from Mings to use that phrase. He's kidding himself if he thinks he was playing well. We had lots of issues, he was one of many.

Dropping your captain though? I get your point but why not just drop Konsa? I love Deano, not get me wrong, I just felt it could have been handled differently. I’ve always rated Ty far above Ezri. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dale said:

Don't think that was the reasoning, everyone was playing badly, he felt like he was the one chosen as a sacrificial lamb

No-one was playing particularly well, consistently at least. Midfield was horrendous which only exasperated defensive issues. I feel Ty took one for the team for sure but in reality was to the teams detriment. Extremely poor management from SG.

18 minutes ago, birdman said:

No-one was playing particularly well, consistently at least. Midfield was horrendous which only exasperated defensive issues. I feel Ty took one for the team for sure but in reality was to the teams detriment. Extremely poor management from SG.

Or even Deano on that occasion... I do wonder what might have happened had the Wolves game not gone that way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Dropping your captain though? I get your point but why not just drop Konsa? I love Deano, not get me wrong, I just felt it could have been handled differently. I’ve always rated Ty far above Ezri. 

My guess, unless there was a big mistake he made in the previous game, Mings is going to be a bigger presence in the changing room than Konsa. So maybe it was a case of trying to stamp some authority. 

Let’s say it worked and Villa won. Maybe that would have lit a fire under Mings to get back in the side and this would have a knock on effect with some the other players. I think it’s more of a gamble to do it with a bigger personality, but the reward might be bigger. 

If that was the case, it obviously didn’t work.

To offer a ham-fisted analogy. I remember an episode of the sopranos where Tony thinks his crew are slacking off, not being their sharpest. Tony decides the best way to get them back on their toes is to criticise and pick a fight against the physically toughest crew member (who hadn’t done anything to warrant this criticism, Tony essentially invented the problem). Tony beats the guy and the rest of the team are reminded who’s in charge and to make sure they maintain their performance level.

Alternatively, it’s late, I’m talking nonsense cod psychology and Mings made a sloppy pass or two in the previous game prior to his benching.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I was listening to the villa view a couple of days ago, and Dan Bardell talked about the podcast he does with Gregg and said they talk about Mings and how Gregg is obviously ITK with the club.

After hearing todays news I thought I'd give it a listen, clearly expecting ITK Gregg to be talking about the upcoming new deal. 

Imagine my surprise when ITK Gregg, only days ago, uses the phrase "there's no rush from the club, he's got 18 months left" and "Tyrone might want a different challenge" 

The guy is an absolute fraud. When you see some of the top class writers other clubs have at the Athletic it's embarrassing. The number 1 reason I didn't renew my subscription. 

look i'm no gregg evans fan, but i do feel the need to defend him here. i listened to that same podcast and at no stage does he indicate he knows what's going on. the "no rush" comment was probably villa batting away questions on the topic whenever they've been asked...pretty sure there's a quote from emery from a couple of weeks ago to that effect.

as we know, we keep things in house and don't give journos anything. even bardell himself said following his time with sky that villa are apparently the hardest club to get info from. villa not giving evans the scoop on mings' contract doesn't make him a 'fraud'. ornstein, percy etc also didn't have a clue about this...are they also frauds? we could have ornstein himself writing for us at the athletic and it would be exactly the same. on that basis, you and i are in agreement it's pointless subscribing if you're after villa news

he speculated about what the eventual outcomes could be, one of which was that mings might want a new challenge. he wasn't claiming to be ITK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterSw said:

nice dig at gerrard there:

It didn’t relieve me of a burden, it didn’t free me up to play any better, it didn’t take any pressure off me. When I’m on the pitch, I’m exactly the same player. I’m vocal and I try to help other people – that doesn’t change if I’m captain or not. It didn’t really change anything in terms of my mental state. I just wanted to play and I got left out of the team – that was a bigger thing to deal with than the captaincy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Because he was playing really poorly at the time. Many agreed with it at the time as well. Easy to look back now and say he shouldn't have done it.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Because he was playing really poorly at the time. Many agreed with it at the time as well. Easy to look back now and say he shouldn't have done it.

He was also only dropped for about 50 minutes as he came straight on when I think konsa got a red card

I think the issue was we tried to shoehorn Tuanzebe into the back line and it just left it unbalanced and Mings is better in a back 2 than back 3

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dale said:

Or even Deano on that occasion... I do wonder what might have happened had the Wolves game not gone that way

This is the big overlooked thing in that run. We messed up one defensive sub and threw that game away. If it hadn’t happened, things would have been very different. Football works on fine margins.

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

This is the big overlooked thing in that run. We messed up one defensive sub and threw that game away. If it hadn’t happened, things would have been very different. Football works on fine margins.

Leicester game being the ultimate example

Â