Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I was just about to post the line up from that exact game (although your date is 20 years too late 😉 it was 1995) 

that was my favourite Villa team/squad, probably because that Man Utd game was the first match I ever went to.

yeah that was a silly typo......it defo wasnt 2015!!!! :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Something that Mings has over the celebrated defenders of the 90’s/00’s is his time with us has also overseen the club rise from essentially midtable championship fodder to knocking on the door of European football. 

The others have various trajectories (McGrath’s time here for instance saw us bounce up and down the league somewhat), but none are really comparable to Mings and us climbing back up the football ladder. 

Another factor is that he’s done this while also kinda learning how to be a full time central defender without a senior partner to help show him the ropes. He’s been that senior partner to Konsa.

Did he play with JT in the championship? 

17 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Did he play with JT in the championship? 

Terry retired the summer before. 

He would have had some coaching input from Terry, I’m sure. But I guess it’s one thing having that experience on the training ground, it’s quite another to have it in a shirt next to you in a game.

Mings’ partner in the championship for the most part was Axel.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

All Mings needs now is exactly what Jack was given.

He may be playing under the master tactician Unai Emery, but what he really needs is some advice off Southgate about how to 'get to that next level'. After some next level analysis, he gave Jack the great advice of 'get more goals and assists'. Now hopefully the great man can give Tyrone his own special advice, so he can truly fulfil his potential.

He should get more goals and assists.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Pretty sure Southgate played in a 3 with Ugo and McGrath and then Staunton/Scimeca and then Barry.

Mings has become one of the best in the country. He’s easily the best English CB. 

Don't want to get too far off topic but, you are mostly correct.

1996 League Cup final (Brian Little managing), we played 5-3-2/3-5-2 with McGrath, Southgate, and Ehiogu as CBs and Charles and Wright as the wingbacks. Can confirm on the Wikipedia page...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Football_League_Cup_final

On the Premier League's site, you can check the lineup for any match back to the beginning. I sampled some random matches...

In 1997-98, for September 1997 against Derby (still Little as manager) we were still 5-3-2 with Wright-Ehiogu-Southgate-Staunton-Nelson. Barry didn't play. By the end of that season, John Gregory had taken over, and in May 1998 against Sheffield Wednesday, we were still 5-3-2, with Wright-Ehiogu-Southgate-Grayson (completely forgot about him!)-Nelson.

The next season, Gregory seemed to experiment with formations. I found a couple matches with just 3 defenders listed, e.g. November 1998 against Spurs, with just Ehiogu, Southgate, and Wright, and with Barry listed in midfield in a 3-5-2. On the other hand, January 1999 against Newcastle, we had Southgate-Ehiogu-Wright-Scimeca in a 4-5-1. Calderwood and Grayson also got used in the back line that year. 1999-20 was similarly variable. When it shows a 3-5-2 against Leeds in January 2000 with Southgate-Ehiogu-Wright in back and Merson-Boateng-Watson-Stone-Barry in midfield, I'm guessing that Stone and Barry essentially acted as wingbacks. In May 2000 against Man U, we played 4-4-2 with Wright-Southgate-Ehiogu-Delaney in back. Barry was in midfield.

Like you, I remember Barry playing as a CB at some point, but in my random checks, I never found one.

• Thanks 1

Telegraph have a decent article about him 

Whether Southgate also recognises his improvement on Wednesday remains to be seen, but, bar John Stones, the national team manager would be hard pressed to make a compelling case for an English central defender who has performed better than Mings this season.

like many I'll be stunned if the charlatan clown picks him in the England squad though 

didn't know this about him  though 

Just as Mings took too much on when he held the armband, from attending every club event to personally checking in on team-mates to make sure everything was all right in their professional and personal lives, the 30-year-old could be guilty of assuming too much responsibility on the pitch.

he just becomes more awesome everyday 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

On 20/05/2023 at 17:12, rodders0223 said:

POTS.

Would be fully deserved and hilarious at the same time that the player Gerard striped of the captaincy and dropped in the first match is our POTS.

On 21/05/2023 at 22:48, Mark Albrighton said:

Terry retired the summer before. 

He would have had some coaching input from Terry, I’m sure. But I guess it’s one thing having that experience on the training ground, it’s quite another to have it in a shirt next to you in a game.

Mings’ partner in the championship for the most part was Axel.

Odd that Tuanzebe has never kicked on. He looked as good as Mings during that run in to promotion - they were brilliant together. I think I heard on the radio the other night that United were due to release him on a free.

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Dunk being called up at the expense of Mings (or even Konsa for that matter) shows Southgate has a serious issue with Villa and it's not even subtle.

Brighton have had a great season but its their attack that is strong not their defence, they have conceded 50 goals compared to our 45 having played a game less and we had Slippy for a third of the season. We've conceded 7 goals in our last 14 games compared to Brighton who've conceded about 20 in that time. Dunk has good pass completion but as a defender he is inferior to Konsa and Mings. He's also 32 later this year and with only one cap to his name (compared to Mings' 17 who is also 18 months younger) it just seems pointless calling Dunk up. Colvill I could maybe understand but not Dunk.

Four Villa players should be in contention to make the squad tomorrow - Mings, Ramsey, Watkins and Konsa - if Southgate picks none of them again then he really is a word removed.

Personally I find it hard to comprehend that  the English national manager could hold a personal grudge against any club, let alone one that he enjoyed a really good career with, but this would be most strange.

Mings has been exceptional this season but I do believe his mistake ( think it was Everton ) under the gaze of Southgate has oddly done for him 🤔🤔

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Telegraph have a decent article about him 

like many I'll be stunned if the charlatan clown picks him in the England squad though 

didn't know this about him  though 

he just becomes more awesome everyday 

Wonder if we'll ever know what went on behind the scenes for Slippy to strip Mings of the captaincy. Sounded like a responsible and great captain and then for the armband to be taken away from him and then not even included in Slippy's little "leader circle" is outrageous.

My guess will probably remain that Ty, as smart s he is, didn't take all of the abuse laying down. Was it the start of this season where Slippy had his ridiculous "fines" like forgetting cakes and having to wear a "I was the worst in training" jumper? Hostile work environment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Personally I find it hard to comprehend that  the English national manager could hold a personal grudge against any club, let alone one that he enjoyed a really good career with, but this would be most strange.

Mings has been exceptional this season but I do believe his mistake ( think it was Everton ) under the gaze of Southgate has oddly done for him 🤔🤔

Southgate has no issue with us - IMO that's ridiculous. He just has no idea/backbone when it comes to selections.

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Wonder if we'll ever know what went on behind the scenes for Slippy to strip Mings of the captaincy. Sounded like a responsible and great captain and then for the armband to be taken away from him and then not even included in Slippy's little "leader circle" is outrageous.

My guess will probably remain that Ty, as smart s he is, didn't take all of the abuse laying down. Was it the start of this season where Slippy had his ridiculous "fines" like forgetting cakes and having to wear a "I was the worst in training" jumper? Hostile work environment.

My guess is that he didn't like that Ty was opinionated and would state those opinions plainly, you know, being the captain and all. Probably felt insecure instead of taking it all on board like any assured coach would.

Â