Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

I’ve seen Ramsey play many times now and i feel on the basis of what I’ve seen he will end up in the Championship at best.

It was very telling that soon as Gerrard was shipped out Ramsey was dropped.

I simply cannot see, on his performances so far, what Gerrard saw in him? A very average player at best and won’t survive any cull by Emery.

6 minutes ago, striker said:

I’ve seen Ramsey play many times now and i feel on the basis of what I’ve seen he will end up in the Championship at best.

I simply cannot see, on his performances so far, what Gerrard saw in him? A very average player at best and won’t survive any cull by Emery.

Can't say I agree with this, just as I didn't agree with your opinions of Luiz. 

Ramsey is a good player, he's still very young and very raw. But he's definitely a Premier League level player. 

I don't even think Gerrard was using him in a way that compliments his strongest attributes (running at the opposition with the ball)

Far too often he was restricted in what he could do because he was covering a full back that had bombed forward. In recent games Gerrard had him playing on the wrong side of the pitch too. 

I think Emery will elevate his game. 

Edited by PieFacE

10 minutes ago, striker said:

Ramsey was shipped out because he didn’t balance the midfield with McGinn. 

If you don’t think he’s a PL level player then that’s your opinion but you will find very very few on here who will agree with your opinion, especially seeing as you didn’t rate Douglas Luiz either which now looks farcical. 

Look at what happened with Almiron and Joelinton at Barcodes. Under Bruce they were both diabolical but as soon as they were given tactical direction under Howe they looked excellent. 

FWIW, I also think Ramsey has been played out of position for his entire time at villa. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, striker said:

Give him a chance under a manager who plays him to his strengths rather than to his weaknesses.

He is the engine of the team, not the brains of it. Putting him next to McGinn who had an awful year was not the right move.

What I'd like to see is him, bailey, ings, and buendia behind the front three. 

Really like him, but think he needs to really improve some other parts of his game in order to find a real position. Right now he's sort of an attacking 8, but not incisive enough with his passing while frequently getting himself into trouble with his first or second touch. His greatest asset is his ability to dribble at opponents, but he can really play on the wing or as a wide forward? Time will tell. His defensive positioning can drift in and out of the game - he needs to really buckle down but that might just be lack of tactical direction from Gerrard for close to a year. He's at a tipping point in his development.

UE will undoubtedly like his mix of talents and plays wide midfielders who drift inside. UE also has a history of developing young players and with Ramsay's utility, UE might be able to sharpen him up into his true position - wherever that may be.

Edited by DJBOB

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

What I'd like to see is him, bailey, ings, and buendia behind the front three. 

So what 3 Defenders?

Martinez

Konsa - Chamber - Mings

Bailey - Ings - Ramsey - Buendia

Archer - Coutinho

Watkins

That's really quite attacking

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

So what 3 Defenders?

Martinez

Konsa - Chamber - Mings

Archer - Coutinho

Watkins

More like

Martinez

Cash Mings Carlos Digne

Luiz Kamara

Buendia

Bailey.                Ramsey

Ings

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

More like

Martinez

Cash Mings Carlos Digne

Luiz Kamara

Buendia

Bailey.                Ramsey

Ings

That's not what you said, also I was joking. 

5 hours ago, striker said:

Interesting, he's the one that most of my non villa supporting friends pick out as our best player. His goal return is decent for his age, I wonder where he quite fits in our team though

48 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

So what 3 Defenders?

Martinez

Konsa - Chamber - Mings

Archer - Coutinho

Watkins

Looks fun tho

39 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I don't think JJ is a CM. I don't think his passing range is anywhere near the standard of Dougie or Kamara and that will be the new minimum standard imo. I personally think he'll end up out wide. 

I dunno, agree about his passing range and that we should play Luiz and Kamara as a 2 but at the same time that ability to carry the ball already at this stage sets him apart, it's quite a rare skill and we've been spoiled by 2 players in recent years who are quality at it, for me grealish was a wide man not a 10 but Ramsey I think could end up as a 10, if we play 4-2-3-1 I'd have him in the 3 with lots of interchange with Buendia, problem is Bailey looks more natural on the left and I'm not sure I've ever seen Ramsey drift to the right

We also his brother and Tim next season though... CM could be a hard spot to nail down

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, agree about his passing range and that we should play Luiz and Kamara as a 2 but at the same time that ability to carry the ball already at this stage sets him apart, it's quite a rare skill and we've been spoiled by 2 players in recent years who are quality at it, for me grealish was a wide man not a 10 but Ramsey I think could end up as a 10, if we play 4-2-3-1 I'd have him in the 3 with lots of interchange with Buendia, problem is Bailey looks more natural on the left and I'm not sure I've ever seen Ramsey drift to the right

We also his brother and Tim next season though... CM could be a hard spot to nail down

I just don't see Jacob being creative enough to play as a 10 and unless his passing goes up a couple of levels I'm not sure playing as an 8 he'll push DL or BK out the midfield. Hopefully Emery improves him and finds at least the level he was at last year because at the moment I only see him as an impact player. 

33 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Hopefully Emery improves him and finds at least the level he was at last year because at the moment I only see him as an impact player.

He’s 21. No 21-year-old in the league is consistently at their top level. It takes time.

9 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He’s 21. No 21-year-old in the league is consistently at their top level. It takes time.

Of course, things take time including developing. Nobody, or at least I'm saying he can't improve, but I am questioning his role currently and in the immediate future on his current performances. As far as long-term future is concerned, yes at 21 he still has loads of time on his side, however his passing is one of his poorer attributes imo. Something that needs plenty of work. 

• Like 2

Â