Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

For me as much of as players capped we get the better. I remember being the most club the England national team had players capped from. I think Spurs took over. But even Spurs benefited from those players who used to get a cap or two.

This idea that we're in danger of losing players if they get called up by England is too simplistic, we've lost players in the past in part because of that reason but that was under a different regime when we were less ambitious and our prospects were dim.

The one time it's happened under the current regime has been because of exceptional circumstances, if we ignore Grealish as he's currently perceived and cast our minds back to that brilliant player we beheld in Villa colors then we see in our minds a player that was one of the best if not the best player in his positon, and one of the best players regardless of position in Premier League, he was also one of the most unique in what he could bring to a team, that's why Man City paid £100m for him, it was a miracle that we kept him for as long as we did, and probably only did so because of him being a Villa fan...

Grealish was an extreme example because of how extremely good he is, he didn't leave us because he got an England cap, he left us because we were a midtable team, and he was good enough to get into one of the best teams in Europe.

With someone like Ramsey as good as he is it's completely different scenario, same for the likes of Mings and Watkins, and any of our other current English players that might get a call up. We aren't in danger of losing those players to anywhere near the same extent that we were of losing JG, the only one that comes close is Martinez and he only just signed a new contract.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Thank f*** one of them wasn’t name Brian or something……. 

I had a few drinks last night and when I opened up VT and saw I had a load of notifications I thought I must've posted something outrageous in my drunken stupor, thankfully it was just this comment reposted a bunch of times 

• Haha 1

I know he only signed a new deal 12 months ago but I am pretty sure that deal still wouldn't represent the kind of wages a guy should earn who is a guaranteed starter in a top half PL team.  Will Tyrone have to drag out his meme again?

England central midfield is pretty poor, Rice, Phillips, and Henderson are fine but DMs, so they shouldn't be an hindrance to him getting a call up, and beyond DMs there's not really much there, Mount isn't even a central midfielder, Ward-Prowse is okay but if it wasn't for set-pieces no one would be talking about him playing for England.

Basically England have a shortage of traditional box-to-box midielders, Bellingham is the only real one currently, so in theory Ramsey if he keeps up his current form he should have a chance of getting a call up, as there aren't many English players that do what he does, and it's role that in most teams is quite important.

23 hours ago, useless said:

This idea that we're in danger of losing players if they get called up by England is too simplistic, we've lost players in the past in part because of that reason but that was under a different regime when we were less ambitious and our prospects were dim.

The one time it's happened under the current regime has been because of exceptional circumstances, if we ignore Grealish as he's currently perceived and cast our minds back to that brilliant player we beheld in Villa colors then we see in our minds a player that was one of the best if not the best player in his positon, and one of the best players regardless of position in Premier League, he was also one of the most unique in what he could bring to a team, that's why Man City paid £100m for him, it was a miracle that we kept him for as long as we did, and probably only did so because of him being a Villa fan...

Grealish was an extreme example because of how extremely good he is, he didn't leave us because he got an England cap, he left us because we were a midtable team, and he was good enough to get into one of the best teams 

I completely agree with you, but this popped into my timeline this morning and as it's relevant decided to post.

, certainly the bigger clubs see England camp as an opportunity to turn players heads, younger or older players. I knew chats and discussions would go on, we all do, but I believe the first time a former player has admitted a manager would send them there with the goal of attracting a certain player 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, useless said:

England central midfield is pretty poor, Rice, Phillips, and Henderson are fine but DMs, so they shouldn't be an hindrance to him getting a call up, and beyond DMs there's not really much there, Mount isn't even a central midfielder, Ward-Prowse is okay but if it wasn't for set-pieces no one would be talking about him playing for England.

Basically England have a shortage of traditional box-to-box midielders, Bellingham is the only real one currently, so in theory Ramsey if he keeps up his current form he should have a chance of getting a call up, as there aren't many English players that do what he does, and it's role that in most teams is quite important.

Southgate doesn't really play box to box midfielder though.

More a Jose style 4-2-3-1 with 2 holders and a number 10.

On 24/01/2022 at 08:31, DJ_Villain said:

Yep… because in recent history, almost as soon as our players get called up to England, they aren’t our players for much longer…

Mings made his debut 3 years ago and is still here

8 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Young, Barry, Downing, Delph,Milner, Grealish, Platt have I missed anyone?

7 players in 30 years is hardly a great basis, We have had 24 England internationals in that time and only 7 had the heads turned. Not even sure you can include Young and Grealish in that

15 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Do we have any comparative stats of Grealish and Ramsey at the age of 20? I don't know where to go to find such things. 

Grealish had played 19 games at 20 and just one assist and half were starts. He did though have a loan at Notts County

It didnt help Grealish that Lambert didnt actually rate him

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 11:12, Lord Willard said:

Crazy but how far is he from an England call up to the senior team. I know ESR is just breaking through 

Not sure if he’s ever played at RB?

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

7 players in 30 years is hardly a great basis, We have had 24 England internationals in that time and only 7 had the heads turned. Not even sure you can include Young and Grealish in that

It’s more so the modern era the last 10 years.  Gary Neville basically admitted to tapping players up mate.

Â