Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was very very good yesterday. MOTM to me. If he can consistently perform to that level he'll be some player for us. Looking forward to seeing more

Agreed, he has progressed so rapidly in the last year and this despite I suspect a first team coaching set up that was not really best placed to develop him. With Gerrard and McAllister now in the set up you feel he has the perfect environment in which to develop his game.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Ian Wrighr Ramsey fan club in full effect on any show he is on. He doesnt half rate him . Goes on and on about him 

Yeah, Ramsey was not even really covered in the footage but he just launched into what a great player he was with huge potential literally out of nowhere, unless the discussion had just been edited badly. 

He really looks like he belongs to be there. As my friend who I was watching the game with yesterday said, he's ice-cold - not overawed by the situation, just working and doing his thing. Love his development and really want to see him on the same pitch as his brother in the first team some time. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was very very good yesterday. MOTM to me. If he can consistently perform to that level he'll be some player for us. Looking forward to seeing more

I think the most impressive thing is the speed of progression. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think 5/6 months ago, you, like myself was pretty sceptical about him, I simply didn’t see someone who was going to become a really good PL player. 

This season however he just seems to have taken his game into a level that I didn’t think he had. If he can keep that progress up, and like you say do it on a consistent basis, we could have a really good player on our hands. 

One thing I think the new coaching set up will work on is his fitness. That’s not a criticism he’s still a young lad, but he does seem to drop off pretty noticeably after about an hour. That will improve I’m sure 

29 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think the most impressive thing is the speed of progression. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think 5/6 months ago, you, like myself was pretty sceptical about him, I simply didn’t see someone who was going to become a really good PL player. 

This season however he just seems to have taken his game into a level that I didn’t think he had. If he can keep that progress up, and like you say do it on a consistent basis, we could have a really good player on our hands. 

One thing I think the new coaching set up will work on is his fitness. That’s not a criticism he’s still a young lad, but he does seem to drop off pretty noticeably after about an hour. That will improve I’m sure 

I hold my hands up on it I didn’t see anything special in him initially but his progress has been so rapid. I’m still not convinced he should be starting in a side with aspirations of Europe but it will aid his development as will the new set up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I hold my hands up on it I didn’t see anything special in him initially but his progress has been so rapid. I’m still not convinced he should be starting in a side with aspirations of Europe but it will aid his development as will the new set up.

I agree he is a really good prospect , but TBH the midfield wasn’t fantastic yesterday as a 3 against Brightons 5 . I just think to play this system we desperately need experienced midfielder who will  be strong and play box to box. His a good player but needs time to develop. 

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

He really looks like he belongs to be there. As my friend who I was watching the game with yesterday said, he's ice-cold - not overawed by the situation, just working and doing his thing. Love his development and really want to see him on the same pitch as his brother in the first team some time. 

Its the mentalitiy isnt it .reminds me of Bellingham. Got a nasty side to him which will really help his development 

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think that’s also a fair comment. Without digressing away, I did say to lad that sits next to me yesterday that after all the money we’ve spent on the squad we were essentially starting the game with youth player and Nakamba in our midfield. 
I mention that not to digress, but as a sort of acknowledgment that he probably wouldn’t have even forced his way In to a stronger midfield. 

But to give credit to the kid, he has taken his opportunity and come on really strongly this season. 

Back to your point in bold, have you seen enough in his progression to make you think he could become that player in 12/24 months or so? 

20 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think that’s also a fair comment. Without digressing away, I did say to lad that sits next to me yesterday that after all the money we’ve spent on the squad we were essentially starting the game with youth player and Nakamba in our midfield. 
I mention that not to digress, but as a sort of acknowledgment that he probably wouldn’t have even forced his way In to a stronger midfield. 

But to give credit to the kid, he has taken his opportunity and come on really strongly this season. 

Back to your point in bold, have you seen enough in his progression to make you think he could become that player in 12/24 months or so? 

I think that is a very good point re out midfield and something that for me makes me question our recruitment but that is another topic.

He has certainly taken his opportunity, to answer your question I'm not sure. I've seen enough to make me think he could be yes, it will I guess though be a case of if he can progress rapidly enough or will what happened with Cahill happen with him, I hope not.

I'd imagine though that part of our recruitment process with Gerrard would have included discussions about our academy and player progression.

28 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I agree he is a really good prospect , but TBH the midfield wasn’t fantastic yesterday as a 3 against Brightons 5 . I just think to play this system we desperately need experienced midfielder who will  be strong and play box to box. His a good player but needs time to develop. 

I agree but then you'd have to have 3 very good midfielders to deal with the way Brighton play as a 5 and their ball retention.

3 hours ago, av1 said:

He's been really shit this season at times. But when he's good he looks like a real player. Like I said if he adds that consistency he'll be very good

With the central defensive and midfield positions, where tactical awareness is so important, you have to factor in age more than say a tricky winger. Ramsey is still 7 or 8 years away from his peak, and with good coaching he will keep improving season on season.

The fact he doesn’t look out of place in our midfield is a very positive indication of his ability, and it’s no surprise he tears it up in the age group games.

His standout qualities are excellent composure, a good touch to take the ball into space, superb engine & pressing game, and decent range of passing.

The things he could improve on are probably his creativity & goal scoring in the final third, and that vision in deep midfield to pick out key passes, which will come with age. And obviously the consistency point, but that will come if we have a settled system and starting 11.

I think this will be a big season for him. Nothing too special, but he’ll be getting a lot of minutes and will start to be taken more seriously as a footballer.

Ian Wright names the Aston Villa player he’s ‘excited’ about under Steven Gerrard after Brighton win

Match of the Day pundit Ian Wright has picked out Aston Villa youngster Jacob Ramsey as a player to watch under the stewardship of Steven Gerrard this season.

“I’m quite excited about [Jacob] Ramsey, with Gerrard and Gary McAllister there, what he’s going to become, I really am excited by that.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-wright-aston-villa-gerrard-22229044

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I think it suits him very well to play as one of the box to box midfielders in the new 4-3-3 formation. That burst he made when he was carrying the ball from our own half and sprinted through their midfield took me by surprise and very promising to see.

edit: the one at around 35 mins in the video above

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

11 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Proper tidy player isn't he, you can always do with a player like him in midfield who you can trust to look after the ball and keep things ticking over, brings bundles of energy too.

Most of the things you can critique him on are synonymous with many young players in general really. Can be inconsistent game to game which is a given but even in games he's playing well in at some point they tend to pass him and you then see him subbed or fade out of them. Hopefully that'll all come with experience though. We're still light in midfield in terms of depth but even if there's an incoming in January I can see him still well in the mix if he can keep up the level he's shown he can hit.

If this was a player we were linked with in a transfer thread, at 20 years old, we’d all be going **** crazy about how good he could be.

• Like 2

Â