Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

Remember Purslow doing his We are the World speech in the summer when JackCiteh left when he said ' we believe the children are our future' 

This is what will happen from time to time.he will have a shocker.  He is learning on the job. I have absolutely no doubt that in 5 years time Jacob will also be known for being really nasty when needed and aggressive. It is slightly concerning he isnt scoring or assisting BUT i am positive that will come .

His passing percentage is the highest in the midfield currently so that shows technically he is decent. 

Our aim is to develop the youth because thats the only way we will be able to compete financially due to the shut door for the champs league teams. We need to give him the time to show his full potential. At worst he will be cashed in on in a few years for a considerable sum of money and at best he develops into a top class centre mid for us 

• Like 3

First bad game of the season. He was very impressive in the other games. He has enough credit to have a bad day at the office (and he was far from the only one). He's also 19. I'd still put Buendia ahead of him for Wolves just to give him a breather (mentally, not physically), but he'll bounce back from this.

He wasn’t great yesterday but neither was anybody on either team apart from Martinez and Son. I actually thought he improved 2nd half and was having an impact on the game when we scored. I thought Smith got in wrong subbing him when he did. We were on top and bringing a sub meant we lost a bit of momentum we had built up. Not blaming anyone for yesterday though, we just wasn’t at it as a team.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Played against Chelsea, Man U and Spurs away and hasn't looked out of place, despite still developing.

seems ok to me.

That's why I'm hesitating a bit, he seems ok, and as I've said before it's impressive that he holds down a starting place at 20, but I still dont see any real stand out qualities. Ok isn't good enough for me to hold down a staring place. For example Gabby and Vassell at that age showed exceptional pace, Jack showed his ability to ghost past players and played them around, Barry and Cahill both impressed highly and scored goals at that age. With Ramsey I don't see what stands out except being neat and tidy in his passing. And against Spurs he was overrun and the weak link in our team. I love to see our youth players come through so I dont want to rack down on him, but I'm not really happy with having him starting over for example Buendia who could provide attacking quality or Nakamba who would make us more solid defensively.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's a good old fashioned CM, not an attacking midfielder.

Further more, just throwing a stat like that out there is a false narrative.

The majority of those " minutes " were him being bedded in slowly, less confident and doing much less.

We've ayed 6 games this season, which in 1 or 2 of them he was arguably our best midfielder, has shown great driving runs and intent. Plus unlucky not to have gotten a couple.

It's almost like making a claim that Nakamba is shit because he's got zero goals and assists vs. minutes.

Out of interest, how many has Luiz gotten this season?

Luiz gave me FPL points from two assists in the last three games. Not sure if he had more before that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The majority of those " minutes " were him being bedded in slowly, less confident and doing much less.

We've ayed 6 games this season, which in 1 or 2 of them he was arguably our best midfielder, has shown great driving runs and intent. Plus unlucky not to have gotten a couple.

It's almost like making a claim that Nakamba is shit because he's got zero goals and assists vs. minutes.

The old goals and assists argument is so tiresome. I remember people writing off Veretout and maybe even Gueye for it 🙄

If someone is playing well, forget about goals and assists. If it's important for their position, they will come. But you're right, Ramsey is a CM. He may well start adding a goal and assist here and there but the most important thing by far is how he's contributing generally, and he's doing very well. I personally find him a joy to watch.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, TRO said:

spot on...but not sure the change in formation would have compensated for you earlier point of their central 2....they were just better in a crucial position.

I don't disagree I think the width of 2 wingers might have given us an out ball as the full backs weren't at it and midfield was being overrun. I think we'd have struggled anyway I just think someone out wide might've been a way to get the ball out.

Dare I say it, Jack on the wing slowing everything down and being relentlessly available as an out ball would've been very helpful.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Thats the problem they are all 6's as midfielders in general.....we need some 7's and 8's in there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats the problem they are all 6's as midfielders in general.....we need some 7's and 8's in there.

I was thinking, one of our issues is that, we have " Good " players when they are firing on all cylinders, but when they are off, they are off, like 4 or 5 type off.

To make the further step up, we need players who are consistent 8/9s on their best days, and 7's on their " average " or " 6/7 on their off days.

As we've seen, even 1 or 2 of those would make a difference, as the quality drop off is less, and they tend to motivate all around them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Ok isn't good enough for me to hold down a staring place. 

Even if we go by this argument, the fact that he has been the best midfielder in a couple of games, when you see him as " Ok " at max, which isn't good enough for you, would suggest that the other midfielders performed worse, and might be more of a problem?

Again, what  " stand out " qualities are you expecting from a CM?

Not an attacking midfielder or winger, or striker, a CM.

I bet you rate Carney Chukwuemeka highly, did you see anything stand out in his performances/cameos against PL opposition?

Everybody isn't going to be a prodigy either, there is nothing wrong with having a GOOD, all round solid CM, for free.

I'd suggest the criticisms and/or upgrades should be focused on some of the seniors who have very clear ceilings.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Luiz gave me FPL points from two assists in the last three games. Not sure if he had more before that.

he's taking set pieces now, got 2 assists in 6 games this season, had 2 assists and no goals in 32 last season

mcginn only had 3 goals and 5 assists last season

this whole modern thing of you can only be a good player if you have goals and assists can get in the bin, leave it to the wikipedia scouts on social media, instead just watch him every week

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

That's why I'm hesitating a bit, he seems ok, and as I've said before it's impressive that he holds down a starting place at 20, but I still dont see any real stand out qualities. Ok isn't good enough for me to hold down a staring place. For example Gabby and Vassell at that age showed exceptional pace, Jack showed his ability to ghost past players and played them around, Barry and Cahill both impressed highly and scored goals at that age. With Ramsey I don't see what stands out except being neat and tidy in his passing. And against Spurs he was overrun and the weak link in our team. I love to see our youth players come through so I dont want to rack down on him, but I'm not really happy with having him starting over for example Buendia who could provide attacking quality or Nakamba who would make us more solid defensively.

Neat and tidy in passing is more rare than what you'd think, and is an extremely important attribute for a CM. Just look at Xavi, a player that was underrated for a long time before it eventually became universally accepted that he was unbelievable.

And no, I'm not saying Ramsey is going to be anywhere near as good as Xavi, but I've seen midfielders hundreds of times be under appreciated because they're not flying past players and banging in 25 yarders, or bombing round winning the ball back.

Ramsey is neat and tidy, can weight a pass, but is also comfortable on the ball under pressure and in tight spaces, I genuinely don't know how people don't rate him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

he's taking set pieces now, got 2 assists in 6 games this season, had 2 assists and no goals in 32 last season

mcginn only had 3 goals and 5 assists last season

this whole modern thing of you can only be a good player if you have goals and assists can get in the bin, leave it to the wikipedia scouts on social media, instead just watch him every week

I think you're overall point is right.....and I think watching the game, trumps the stats, but thats just me.

then comes the 64 million dollar question, what are we watching, said player do?.....what are we appraising him on?, and thats where opinions tend to differ.

You say, what you say about assists and goals and I see your point.....but I also appreciate some players don't have a bad game, but they are not effective....just passive or do enough not to make a mistake, don't really do anything wrong...drift, call it what you will.....The opposite to Conor Gallagher, who is a duracell battery.

Players need to be intrepid and brave on the ball, take risks and push back the boundaries ( i.e Andy Gray @ 19 years old)..beat your man to the ball, and keep trying until you do.

I think we lost the game in midfield on Sunday, that affected other area's to allow them to score.....but I wouldn't single out one player, the unit was down in terms of quality and output.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â