Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

Spurs justhad the perfect Midfield to battle us out of the game. Ndombele and Hojberg are strong, intelligent and nasty players when they want to be. They pushed us around and that was that.

When our midfield can out run and hassle the opposition we do alright or well. When they get outmuscled we have no plan B other than bypass them which isn't really a Plan B.

Dean got the team selection right, it would've been a travesty to change it and drop players after United. But by 30 mins in it was obvious we needed to be 433/4231

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Spurs justhad the perfect Midfield to battle us out of the game. Ndombele and Hojberg are strong, intelligent and nasty players when they want to be. They pushed us around and that was that.

When our midfield can out run and hassle the opposition we do alright or well. When they get outmuscled we have no plan B other than bypass them which isn't really a Plan B.

Dean got the team selection right, it would've been a travesty to change it and drop players after United. But by 30 mins in it was obvious we needed to be 433/4231

Best post i have seen about today. Bang on the money.  A bad day at the office where the strengths of our players were negated by the strengths of theirs. Please when this happens next time Dean make some changes earlier. 

11 hours ago, VillaJay said:

Reactionary bullshit in this thread today, the lad has played 20 odd games and was far from the worst player on the pitch today, he was positive when he got the ball, always had his head up looking for a forward pass, but it didn't work out today. Luiz again only 23 was poor and McGinn the senior of the 3 was poor too.

This guy is a player, and the same posters who write him off, I've no doubt they wrote grealish off early days(His first 3 seasons!).

Literally nobody has written him off. 

Saying a player had a bad game when they had a bad game isn’t writing them off

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Just think some need to remember that he is 19 year old and isn’t quite ready for week in week out PL football and after the current month, maybe needed a rest.

he's 20, but i see your point.

Theres always going to be questions about him after a poor game when hes keeping the club record signing out of the team. He has done well but maybe its time to leave him out and bring Buendia in. 

15 hours ago, est1874 said:

He wasn't close to being the worst player out there.

100% agree. buendia who came on for him was worse for a start

guessing he's the latest scapegoat? shame...didn't think we'd do it to one of our own

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

100% agree. buendia who came on for him was worse for a start

guessing he's the latest scapegoat? shame...didn't think we'd do it to one of our own

Nope. Just like hardly anyone is Smith Out. Just like hardly anyone is writing Buendia off and just like nobody is scapegoating Ramsey. 
Calling out a bad performance is hardly scapegoating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Nope. Just like hardly anyone is Smith Out. Just like hardly anyone is writing Buendia off and just like nobody is scapegoating Ramsey. 

There are loads of people on social media saying Ramsey should have come off sooner and was appalling all game. He wasn't really. Also if he'd come off earlier, we wouldn't have scored the equalizer.

He then came off and we almost immediately conceded again.

It wasn't just social media either. If you take a quick look through the match thread you'll see endless calls for him to be subbed off and many saying he should have come off at half-time.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

it's scapegoating because considerably more criticism is being aimed at him both on here an social media when he was no worse than many others yesterday coupled with making a key contribution to the goal (and getting absolutely clattered in the process)

On 03/10/2021 at 10:19, MaVilla said:

I think he has been very good with ball retention, general passing and recycling the ball, being available for the pass and keeping things ticking, i think he is almost showing himself to be a good deep lying recycler of the ball at the moment, all of this is great, a good ball retainer and recycler shouldnt be underrated, its a real skill.

On the flip side, i think he has showed very little going forward, i dont think he has been a threat going forward mostly, and the chances he has had in advanced positions he has fluffed it a little, i have seen in a couple of matches where there were through balls or defence cutting passes on, and he either didnt see it, or take the opportunity, he has also had a couple of decent/good goal scoring opportunities and hasnt taken them.

im sure i will get jumped on for having a different opinion to the people who think he has been super amazing, but such is life.

On balance, i think he has been good overall, excellent in places, but hasnt really done anything to stand out in terms of creation, defence cutting passes, scoring goals etc, he has been as a said above, consistent, a good passer, comfortable on the ball, a good recycler, which in itself is something to be happy with, we have always lacked these types of players who can do a job.

Hopefully he will continue to develop and develop a bit more of a cutting edge to his game, either that or maybe his best position is a deep lying recycler / ball retainer, at which point i would say he is developing very nicely in to that role.

I think he is adding an edge to his game, highlighted in the pass to Ings for our goal on Sunday.

He is not the finished article and he will have peaks and troughs in his form, but Imo is no better or worse than the other 2 in midfield.

He has started to get his foot in, which I like and he is neat and tidy with his passing.....confidence will come and with that his bravery on the ball will follow.

15 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

spot on.....but some fans, wouldn't contemplate Ndombele or Hojbjergs style of play....they are robust and can spoil and they do it very well.

and when they get on top of you....they can do what Hojbjerg did( But where was he v Arsenal?)....thats what winning the initiative does.

We have to come to terms right now....we can beat anyone and be beaten by anyone in this league.

Edited by TRO

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he is adding an edge to his game, highlighted in the pass to Ings for our goal on Sunday.

He is not the finished article and he will have peaks and troughs in his form, but Imo is no better or worse than the other 2 in midfield.

He has started to get his foot in, which I like and he is neat and tidy with his passing.....confidence will come and with that his bravery on the ball will follow.

oh i agree, he definitely isnt any worse than the other two, i think he should seriously be considered as a starter over McGinn in a double pivot.

My point was more, that i find it mind blowing that we have players like Buendia and traore on the bench, when we are playing Ramsey, McGinn & Luiz as a trio, basically xero creativity and we play 3 all rounder, jack of all, master of none trade midfielders.

So yeah, im not saying Ramsey is bad, i think its more that i think the current midfield is a bit of a jack of all nothing much midfield.

tbh, i quite fancy Ramsey/Luiz as a double pivot (or Sanson when back), honestly, i think McGinn is probably the worst we have ability wise in that midfield selection battle, but he will never get dropped i dont think, regardless.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

oh i agree, he definitely isnt any worse than the other two, i think he should seriously be considered as a starter over McGinn in a double pivot.

My point was more, that i find it mind blowing that we have players like Buendia and traore on the bench, when we are playing Ramsey, McGinn & Luiz as a trio, basically xero creativity and we play 3 all rounder, jack of all, master of none trade midfielders.

So yeah, im not saying Ramsey is bad, i think its more that i think the current midfield is a bit of a jack of all nothing much midfield.

tbh, i quite fancy Ramsey/Luiz as a double pivot (or Sanson when back), honestly, i think McGinn is probably the worst we have ability wise in that midfield selection battle, but he will never get dropped i dont think, regardless.

I think its difficult when the players are no better or worse than each other.

you see the thing for me is, you say there is no creativity with that 3, but I think there is no defensive prowess either......who was our Ndombele or Hojbjerg?

The 3 are good players, but too samey.....we need contrast....having said that, did ok against Everton and Man U......we just have to see how it goes.

just remember, the one on the bench is always better than the one playing?🙃

15 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

spot on...but not sure the change in formation would have compensated for you earlier point of their central 2....they were just better in a crucial position.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Literally nobody has written him off. 

You ought to see Facebook and Twitter 

They've pretty much written off the whole lot, from top to bottom ffs 

He's a young player as well, wtf?!

How do some people blame the bloke who left, for not believing in the " project " when it seems after every loss they completely throw that out the window ffs.

If we never saw the signs and foundation I might get it, but the talents are obviously there, and so have the performances been for the most part so far.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its difficult when the players are no better or worse than each other.

you see the thing for me is, you say there is no creativity with that 3, but I think there is no defensive prowess either......who was our Ndombele or Hojbjerg?

The 3 are good players, but too samey.....we need contrast....having said that, did ok against Everton and Man U......we just have to see how it goes.

just remember, the one on the bench is always better than the one playing?🙃

ye agreed, which was my point with saying the 3 of them are jacks of all and master of none.

Too true....absence makes the heart grow fonder lol.

• Like 1

Â