Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

40 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If Guendouzi comes in then they will be fewer opportunities for Ramsey as he would take his place in the team. The way McGinn is playing I can't see him being dropped either. 

I think Ramsey will start less often and play fewer minutes next season.  And yet ironically I think he will get more opportunities - because I think he's likely to be coming on as a sub when games are opening up a bit more and so are a bit more suited to his natural game.  I thought that he and McGinn struggled to impact the first half yesterday as they were receiving the ball too deep and not offering Luiz and Kamara options when we were under pressure.  Second half as things began to open up and we got a bit more possession suddenly there were more opportunities for him and McGinn to play to their strengths and start impacting the game.  By the end McGinn was probably close to MOTM as he played a key role in our most encouraging attacks.  I can see Ramsey becoming a "super sub" or (to coin a rugby phrase) a "finisher" who comes on when games are opening up and probably gets noticed more because he's scoring or setting up late goals.  The trick will be convincing footballers that a starting XI doesn't exist any more and that it is all about a playing XVI.

37 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He started 5 of the 10 games at the start of the 21/22 season So 50%. He didn't start any of the last 4 games under Smith. Then under Gerrard he started every game (100%) he was fit for the remainder of the season and won his end of season awards for his form under Gerrard. That was his breakout season. 

Fair enough but I beg to differ. He broke into/became a fixture in the first team squad under Smith in late November 2020. In that year (from late Nov 2020) up until Gerrard arrived in early Nov 2021 he played in 32 Premier League games under Smith, starting 12 of them. He was an unused sub in another 8 league games. That is someone who had already broken through.

If you'd have asked me when Gerrard walked through the door to name our best starting 11 then Ramsey would have been in it. For me he was already an established first team player.

Edited by markavfc40

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Fair enough but I beg to differ. He broke into/became a fixture in the first team squad under Smith in late November 2020. In that year (from late Nov 2020) up until Gerrard arrived in early Nov 2021 he played in 32 Premier League games under Smith, starting 16 of them. He was an unused sub in another 8 league games. That is someone who had already broken through.

If you'd have asked me when Gerrard walked through the door to name our best starting 11 then Ramsey would have been in it. For me he was already an established first team player.

yeah agreed, Ramsey was an established first team player under Smith, and as you say, when Gerrard came in, Ramsey would have been in most fans starting 11, before Gerrard had ever even managed a game for us.

Whether Ramsey improved under Gerrard is debatable i guess, but i dont think there is a debate to be had with regard to who brought him through to the first 11, it was Smith.

Edited by MaVilla

2 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Ramsey has a much higher ceiling than Luiz and McGinn, and Kamara is our best player. But for us to maximise his potential, a bit like Jack, we need to play him and develop him.

Yes he played nearly every game under Gerrard. Personally don't think he is in the same class as Grealish but yes his celing is high. I think the double pivot of kamara and Luiz plus Watkins is the strength of this villa team under Emery.  The rest apart from martinez and maybe mings can be changed around 

Very unintelligent player at the moment. Runs into cul de sacs too much without releasing the ball. I like him but he really needs to smarten up with his decision making and start moving the ball on quicker. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Without space, he struggles. Really not sure how his career is going to pan out.

He would probably be more effective as a wide forward/ winger type.

Look at Raheem Sterling for example, I genuinely don't think he's the most intelligent footballer, but fast and can be effective.

Way too early to be giving up on him.

He probably just needs to adapt, some players develop/learn systems and playing styles at different paces.

Grealish has just started coming good for City after how long?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I’m not sure about the lad. With where we are looking to go and we have money - could quite easily be replaced. Dribbling is his main asset but ya wouldn’t exactly call it worldly. Takes it forward at speed into areas where he gets isolated, comes to a stop, outnumbered and turned over. That happens often. 

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

His passing was dreadful today

Way too much expectation on this lad - yes he is half decent, but in reality he is no better than either Tim or even Carney for that matter.

He is one who very comfortably slips into the “ potential “ but that’s all I’m afraid 

He's got very good technical and physical attributes but needs to improve his decision making and most of all he needs to learn how to get involved into the game.

So often you simply forget he's on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, WooJung said:

He's got very good technical and physical attributes but needs to improve his decision making and most of all he needs to learn how to get involved into the game.

So often you simply forget he's on the pitch.

He has some good technical attributes but he's not comfortable with the ball in tight spaces.

• Like 1

Thought he was good defensively , he can improve but he yes but there’s a massive overreaction here. He’s young and developing and this probably the most any manager has asked of him tactically.

His running with the ball is very good, but his decision making and passing are not up to the same standard at the moment. A few times today he made completely the wrong decision when in a good position. He'll learn though, he's still young.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

but in reality he is no better than either Tim or even Carney for that matter.

Tim who has one goal in the championship and Carney who doesnt get any game time? Complete nonsense to say Ramsey is no better 

Edited by mikeyp102

Â