Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

On 17/12/2021 at 15:41, HalfTimePost said:

That's a really interesting comparison. 

I certainly saw Ramsey as somebody who was clearly talented at football but was a bit of a nothing midfielder. Decent passer, could run with the ball and energy to put himself about a bit. But not a stand-out at any of that. I just couldn't really pin him against a specific role or exactly when I'd be like 'oh we could really do with JJ on here! He could really give us X'.

I just viewed him as a body in midfield. Not too dissimilar to an improved Indiana Vassilev in the role he had when he made the odd appearance. It seemed he was simply for some energy.

He's really developed well in the last few months and if he can keep having the impact he's been having and carve a role out for himself he could have a huge future for us. Really exciting to see in real time.

Player development, is like watching a kid grow, see him every day and you don't notice it....it creeps up on you.

JJ has come on leaps and bounds defensively and offensively....he is established now.....and much more to come IMO.

I think SG will be his target to emulate and I think he can do it.....No better tutor, than the man himself.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Looked ok today but is absolutely dumbfounded when someone plays a one-two around him. Leaves him standing still every time.

I think he is confused because every time he tries a one two he never gets the ball back unless its Buendia 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Looked ok today but is absolutely dumbfounded when someone plays a one-two around him. Leaves him standing still every time.

Agreed. Countless time he let's his man just run off him.

I think he's growing and we've got a system now where he can pick up the ball in good spaces with the fullbacks pushed high.

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Agreed. Countless time he let's his man just run off him.

I think he's growing and we've got a system now where he can pick up the ball in good spaces with the fullbacks pushed high.

No issue with his attacking play yesterday but I agree, he lost the man he was marking too many times. He did press well though. It’s couching and concentration, he’ll get it with enough starts hopefully.

Thought Ramsey was absolutely superb yesterday.

Defensively suspect as other's have mentioned... but he's now physically ready for the PL and he can hold his own in a challenge.

However going forward he can pick a ball up and carry it forward for the team. It's something that Grealish used to do for us, and it's exactly what we missed whenever he was missing with injury. His composure on the ball is brilliant, and he was key to some of the link up play yesterday.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Thought he was great first half. Faded second along with the team. 

I think you're absolutely right.

In the first half, he was able to get into the space behind the Chelsea front three and run at the two holding midfielders, he looked great carrying the ball into those spaces at speed. When Chelsea changed their shape in the second half that space was gone, the whole side struggled to deal with that change of shape. Tuchel going from 3-4-3 to 4-2-3-1 killed us and he wasn't alone in struggling to figure out where he could find space.

38 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Thought Ramsey was absolutely superb yesterday.

Defensively suspect as other's have mentioned... but he's now physically ready for the PL and he can hold his own in a challenge.

However going forward he can pick a ball up and carry it forward for the team. It's something that Grealish used to do for us, and it's exactly what we missed whenever he was missing with injury. His composure on the ball is brilliant, and he was key to some of the link up play yesterday.

I don’t think he was absolutely superb in his performance, plenty of room for improvement in fact, but he’s doing incredibly well for a 20 year old against one of the top teams in world football and consistently in one of the toughest leagues.

• Like 4

Aston Villa currently have a negative goal difference. But if you only count the goals scored and conceded during which Jacob Ramsey was on the pitch, Villa have recorded a positive goal difference this season.

This is true of only 2 other Villa players atm, Leon Bailey and Cameron Archer(who has played so little for us it isn't really valid to consider him).

He always wants to get forward. That makes him a real nuisance for defenders. We lose his dangerous forward runs when he is not on the pitch. He should never have been taken off yesterday.

He has made enormous progress this season, is still gaining confidence and improving, and may well be a fixture in our team in the future.

The `lesser` Ramsey? perhaps not? 

• Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 19:26, 7392craig said:

You are spot on....but too often our players are left isolated, because they don't hunt in 2's or 3's......too many ball/play watchers, and not enough doers.

Its easy to play around a single player...as we often find to our detriment.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

He always wants to get forward. That makes him a real nuisance for defenders. We lose his dangerous forward runs when he is not on the pitch. He should never have been taken off yesterday.

He has made enormous progress this season, is still gaining confidence and improving, and may well be a fixture in our team in the future.

The `lesser` Ramsey? perhaps not? 

All the more reason for a "seasoned general" to come in to the fray......such a player will allow the others like JJ /Mcginn/Luiz to concentrate of the offensive side, without fear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Did you see when he got injured by the touchline in the first half ? Looking at that incident I would say that shadow boxing could be a very dangerous sport for him to try.

Didnt look much but even glancing blows can knock you off your feet at the pace they play footbl now .i bet we have been told by the docs if there is a head injury of any kind then go down and get assessed first. 

Well,I must admit you couldent see it properly on the telly but it did look a lot like the Trez injury to me.Still as he has never done anything like that before ( that I know of ) Ill give him the benifit of the doubt.

Â