VillaTalk Deadpool 2019

Xela

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Think we used to have a thread for best decade for music , but this seemed to be a more generic discussion that the 80’s were horrendous and not just music ?

at first when I saw MJ agreeing I thought ah I bet he’s referring to the 1880’s  :)

but  I suspect it’s a generation thing , i was 10 at the start of the 80’s and it was fantastic , we didn’t care about greed is good , we just got to wear burgundy stay press  and Fred perry t-shirts whilst listening to Baggy Trousers  and airwolf and the A-team taught us it was cool to blow shit up 

It is absolutely a generation thing. If I'd been born ten years later, I have no doubt I'd have loved the eighties. Thank **** I wasn't. 

• Haha 2

I was also 10 at the beginning of the 80s and I hate almost everything about the decade. Any music I like from that decade is by accident. Not to mention films or games. I have no misty eyed nostalgia for it. 

• Like 1

Born '75 and I absolutely love the '80's. Everything about it. So does my OH who's 9 years older. Don't know if it was different here, but it was a decade full of hope and happiness. The '90's, though. Dull, early economic crise and music really started to get boring and fabricated. But I'm not sure this is OT. Apart from talking about dead decades.

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

Maybe the 80s was full of hope and happiness in the scandies but I seem to remember spending much of it expecting the bomb to drop. ;)

And Thatcher. Don't forget Thatcher. 

• Like 2

On 09/03/2019 at 11:57, snowychap said:

If you thought Airwolf looked terrible, you should have seen Street Hawk. :)

was that the lesser know third brother of Stringfellow and St John 

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Legendary Wrecking Crew drummer Hal Blaine, gone at 90. Probably played on more great tracks than anyone, ever.

Was hoping to get in first with that ! Possibly not known by many ,but what a fabulous drummer. Happily, he lived to a good age but there weren't too many like him with talent, taste and versatility. RIP

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Legendary Wrecking Crew drummer Hal Blaine, gone at 90. Probably played on more great tracks than anyone, ever.

Indeed.Listen to any US hit record of the 1960s, and chances are you're hearing Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Joe Osborn, Leon Russell and Glen Campbell. 

(In the UK it would have been Clem Cattini, Herbie Flowers, Jimmy Page and Big Jim Sullivan). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

The mention of Carol Kaye makes me insist to any passing reader. Look her up. To have played on a single classic is an achievement, then you look at hers and indeed all of the wrecking crews CV. It blows you away. 

• Like 2

On 12/03/2019 at 05:48, rjw63 said:

A partial list here. Looking at that, I reckon I own about 70% of them, maybe more. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

A partial list here. Looking at that, I reckon I own about 70% of them, maybe more. 

Fairly sure I saw a list somewhere bigger than that and they were just the Number One single he's played on

• Like 2

Legendary guitarist Dick Dale has died. 

I had the pleasure of watching Dick Dale in 2006 in Santa Monica, he was excellent. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Sad 3

Â