VillaTalk Deadpool 2019

Xela

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It may shock you that he actually has ten top five singles including 2 number ones (including one duet with Gene Pitney)

And yet probably still more famous for the stomach pump 2 pints of spunk story that I’m still trying to figure out how every school kid knew about in a pre Internet , even pre mobile phone era 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

And yet probably still more famous for the stomach pump 2 pints of spunk story that I’m still trying to figure out how every school kid knew about in a pre Internet , even pre mobile phone era 

It’s an urban myth too

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, every kid everywhere knew that story AND personally knew someone that knew it was absolutely true.

:)

Rod Stewart claims the myth originated with him after he sacked one of his aides , the aid fed  the story to the press as revenge ... I’ll be honest I’d never heard the Rod variation it was always Almond 

Yep, Almond every time. 

How did we all get that story passed around, yet no older kids managed to pass down the info that hiding a magazine under the bed really wasn't a long term plan?

Ah we were lucky , We had woods near where we lived and you could pretty much find a pages stuck together tit mag hidden  under nearly every bush ...No problem with forgetting to delete your browser history back in our day though on the flip side the wood library didn’t have a lot of variety 

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Word of, er... mouth. 

59 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Word of, er... mouth. 

I seem to recall it was in the NME, then I think possibly a national paper picked it up. I also don’t buy the Rod Stewart angle either, just two press agents pushing the same false gossip to promote their client

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Short version: I absolutely loved Soft Cell back in my yoof. 

My dad liked Queen. Like those old ladies that didn't know Liberace was gay.

If you liked 'Tainted Love' then listen to the original Gloria Jones version - actually, you probably have !

I also formally accuse you of watching Austin Powers 😁

Just now, veloman said:

If you liked 'Tainted Love' then listen to the original Gloria Jones version - actually, you probably have !

I also formally accuse you of watching Austin Powers 😁

Yep, I know the Gloria Jones version, tis also good.

That's the weird thing about 'pop', it's not the perfection of musicians. It's something else. If pop was about perfection Charlotte Church and Michael Ball would've dominated Top of the Pops and The Tube. But somehow, raw versions with flaws can be so much better.

Genuinely never watched Austin Powers! But then, there's a very very long list of films I haven't seen.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, I know the Gloria Jones version, tis also good.

That's the weird thing about 'pop', it's not the perfection of musicians. It's something else. If pop was about perfection Charlotte Church and Michael Ball would've dominated Top of the Pops and The Tube. But somehow, raw versions with flaws can be so much better.

Genuinely never watched Austin Powers! But then, there's a very very long list of films I haven't seen.

I agree with all that. I don't mind flawed playing and dodgy singers (I'm a Bob Dylan and Neil Young fan, FFS). It's just that Almond seems to have a reputation for having a great voice that is not really justified. 

I have also never seen Austin Powers. 

The Austin Powers comment is simply because there is a one liner in it when he says summat like 'and Liberace was gay, I didn't see that coming'. I probably have a puerile sense of humour but I like Mike Myers films.

Agree entirely with Mr Mooney's comment re. Almond  - some might say the same applies to Robbie Williams !"!

Just to re- iterate; I thought Scott Walker had a great voice and is/was an icon of the 60's  .

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

There's a striking similarity between poofs and punks - It's often lead by attitude rather than art.

The opera experts where I used to work tended to be gay, not that surprisingly.

One day we were playing a recital by an English speaking soprano, perhaps Upshaw or Bott? Can't remember exactly who? I thought it was quite good, she was hitting the notes and everything :)

The opera expert, Brendan with a silent 'n', came up to the counter and said in mock joy - "Ooh, not a trace of a red blood cell".

It helped with my understanding of music that until then I'd found baffling.

31 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hadn’t heard of them previously, but a band from Liverpool called “Her’s” have died in a car crash while on tour in California. Both band members and their tour manager died.

Just released their first album. Not really part of my sphere but judging by my FB feed they were well liked as people and there's a lot of genuine grief out there today when an awful lot of people in the Liverpool music scene were just looking forward to the BBC6 Music festival which is starting tonight

It's like when that band died in a road crash in Scandinavia. I had never heard of them, that said wrestlers die and I have never heard of them either. 

Now back to telling kids to get off my lawn. 

• Like 2

Â