VillaTalk Deadpool 2019

Xela

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm an old git, and I like SW's late, weird stuff. The first solo album is probably my favourite though. 

Ah ! But I don't think there are any proper drums on 'em 😀

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Looks like Ranking Roger has died. 

Spotted a Beat album in the racks before, I shall now play it in his honour. That's quite shocking tbh his last album was somewhat a return to form (in that it was better than either the last of his or Dave Wakelin's). They were always better together though, still he's only a few years older than me and The Beat were definitely a part of my formative years. I'm sad now

Oh man.  I saw The Beat quite a few times on their reunion tours of the early 00s, I think they were arguably the best of the two tone bands.  Genuinely sad news. 

• Like 1

Anyway; returning to the death of Scott Walker, did anyone see the 2 hour long programme about him on Sky Arts ? Very interesting  ... but odd - exemplified by the people interviewed .

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Anyway; returning to the death of Scott Walker, did anyone see the 2 hour long programme about him on Sky Arts ? Very interesting  ... but odd - exemplified by the people interviewed .

Was one of the People they Interviewed Julian Cope?

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Was one of the People they Interviewed Julian Cope?

Well no, but they mentioned him as being relevant to Scott Walker. Again Mr Cope is not someone I know much about. I have only watched half the programme but , to date, they featured :- Jarvis Cocker (hmm), Johnny Marr (thinks he is Lee Ritnour - plays like Hank Marvin) Marc Almond - highly influential on the British music scene (one hit was it?) , some turd who put his fingers down his throat when discussing 'Yes' - not one of my favourite bands by by god they could play a bit, a person called Angela Morley , who used to be Wally Stott - well known 50's band leader and arranger who now looks  like Hinge and Bracket. At that juncture my wife told me to stop swearing and turn it off. It is highly likely that I do not have sufficient / wide enough musical knowledge to appreciate these avant garde individuals but I am anticipating Ant and Dec and Robbie Williams to deliver eulogies in the second half.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veloman said:

Marc Almond - highly influential on the British music scene (one hit was it?)

It may shock you that he actually has ten top five singles including 2 number ones (including one duet with Gene Pitney)

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

It may shock you that he actually has ten top five singles including 2 number ones (including one duet with Gene Pitney)

A friend of mine once rescued him from being beaten up in the Leeds Warehouse club. He later said he wished he hadn't botbered. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

A friend of mine once rescued him from being beaten up in the Leeds Warehouse club. He later said he wished he hadn't botbered. 

I kind of share the sentiment, I'm not really a fan. We put him on once (at least) and he was one of those arses that asked for a jar of smarties with all the red one's removed or some other such idiocy on the rider. I know why they pull that trick, it's the first thing they check when they get in the dressing room and if that's there they don't bother checking the rest of the rider but it nearly always indicates an arsehole. Gary Glitter was another one who always pulled that type of shit. I'd also say it's an almost universal truth that his best songs are actually cover versions but he sure as hell made Tainted Love his own (and the 12" Dub remix is one of the greatest non reggae dubs ever). The first Soft Cell album, Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret is a good album for what it is but it all kind of went slowly downhill from there. He's way too precious and really isn't much more than a Gay Cabaret singer

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

I kind of share the sentiment, I'm not really a fan. We put him on once (at least) and he was one of those arses that asked for a jar of smarties with all the red one's removed or some other such idiocy on the rider. I know why they pull that trick, it's the first thing they check when they get in the dressing room and if that's there they don't bother checking the rest of the rider but it nearly always indicates an arsehole. Gary Glitter was another one who always pulled that type of shit. I'd also say it's an almost universal truth that his best songs are actually cover versions but he sure as hell made Tainted Love his own (and the 12" Dub remix is one of the greatest non reggae dubs ever). The first Soft Cell album, Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret is a good album for what it is but it all kind of went slowly downhill from there. He's way too precious and really isn't much more than a Gay Cabaret singer

Spot on. He thinks (and his fans think) that he has this great voice. Well his voice does have a good timbre, but his pitching is bloody awful. Loud, powerful and frequently off-key. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Short version: I absolutely loved Soft Cell back in my yoof.

Long version: I saw a 12" single of Soft Cell in a record shop, and bought it. Took it home, played it and it was ok. Then my dad saw something on the telly box about Soft Cell and went absolute gammontastic orange order spazz out. Absolutely outraged by this disgusting talentless bent fool.

I went out and bought pretty much everything Soft Cell produced. 12" of Torch is a work of genius, Sex Dwarf is a work of genius. 

My dad liked Queen. Like those old ladies that didn't know Liberace was gay.

That was my Mum. She insisted that Liberace and Larry Grayson were not gay, really. 

• Like 1

Â