Racism in Football

Zatman

That's where I am too

I have no problem with people going in to the El ghazi thread on here and saying he's shit and we should sell him, that kind of is the rough with the smooth of being of footballer, they're compensated for it 

But privately messaging him on twitter telling him that he's shit and should be sold? That's out of order and social media is giving people a safety net to attack other people, it has to stop 

Not seen anyone do it but they maybe should have added a video of the various messages that these guys receive, if people were saying "but what are they doing it for?" it would open some eyes... But then I would also guess that those who are blind to what's happening are that way by choice because its obvious what's happening, you can see it brazenly im comments sections, walls and feeds let alone private messages 

• Like 1

I dread to think of some the hate that Ross Barkley will have got this season. Yes he’s been crap for a large part of it but even if people don’t have a moral compass that tells them not to be abusive online, what’s the actual point of it?? How is destroying a lads confidence, telling him you hate him and he’s the worst player ever going to make him play better or even want to play for the club?  I just find it bizarre. 

This social media boycott was thought up and long planned before the launching of the Super League or was it a new idea?

Players make a lot of money from social media and I doubt they have little interest in changing that so it's really down to the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and whatever to handle it from their side because people are always going to be racist, homophobic, misogynistic, sectarian, drunk and angry. That ain't gonna change. But then these companies makes a lot of money out of these people so they have little interest to change anything either.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's where I am too

I have no problem with people going in to the El ghazi thread on here and saying he's shit and we should sell him, that kind of is the rough with the smooth of being of footballer, they're compensated for it 

But privately messaging him on twitter telling him that he's shit and should be sold? That's out of order and social media is giving people a safety net to attack other people, it has to stop 

Not seen anyone do it but they maybe should have added a video of the various messages that these guys receive, if people were saying "but what are they doing it for?" it would open some eyes... But then I would also guess that those who are blind to what's happening are that way by choice because its obvious what's happening, you can see it brazenly im comments sections, walls and feeds let alone private messages 

Id happily support On Topic being shut down for a few days, especially if we don't win today. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Id happily support On Topic being shut down for a few days, especially if we don't win today. 

You get a bit of nonsense on here in both directions but in general this is OK, I always feel on here that you are controlled and guided by peers, I've no doubt that if someone said something out of order a regular poster would call them out on it rather than depending on the mods or limpid to come and fix it

Social media doesn't have that, I don't know if it's because its less of a community or somehow feels more anonymous but the dickheads have more confidence in spouting their bile 

Either way I would definitely rather have someone here venting their anger than in a players DM's, I'm growing incredibly judgemental over people who are angry at football, the worth of it, if you're sat at home tonight after the villa game full of so much anger and hate that you're messaging mings racist messages what are you sat at home saying to your wife or your kids? How drunk are you? They a need a when the fun stops stop type campaign for football fans mental health 

They need to tackle racism, they need to tackle the anger that comes from football and they need to tackle the ability to spout that anger and hate directly to other people, huge job, the last one should be the easiest and an absolute given though 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

You get a bit of nonsense on here in both directions but in general this is OK, I always feel on here that you are controlled and guided by peers, I've no doubt that if someone said something out of order a regular poster would call them out on it rather than depending on the mods or limpid to come and fix it

Social media doesn't have that, I don't know if it's because its less of a community or somehow feels more anonymous but the dickheads have more confidence in spouting their bile 

Either way I would definitely rather have someone here venting their anger than in a players DM's, I'm growing incredibly judgemental over people who are angry at football, the worth of it, if you're sat at home tonight after the villa game full of so much anger and hate that you're messaging mings racist messages what are you sat at home saying to your wife or your kids? How drunk are you? They a need a when the fun stops stop type campaign for football fans mental health 

They need to tackle racism, they need to tackle the anger that comes from football and they need to tackle the ability to spout that anger and hate directly to other people, huge job, the last one should be the easiest and an absolute given though 

Completely agree. 

I quickly gave up on Villa Facebook and try to ignore Villa Twitter. It says something when On Topic is the most sane social media place as that place is scary. 

• Like 2

I don't use FB or Instagram and I'd happily come off all social media if that's all it was. Twitter is a strange one though, I'm not even sure I use it as a classic social media, I barely have any actual friends who use it or post tweets. I follow people or accounts from topics I'm interested in just purely for the information, I could easily not post anything at all on there. 

It's very difficult to stop people posting behind anonymous accounts and having anything meaningful come from it. What happens if someone in South America abuses someone? Can't see the police giving a shit down there even if the social media companies pass on the information. Just ban the account and they sign up a new one anyway. Twitter would go bankrupt if they started trying to verify each account but maybe we will soon see a new social media platform turn up that does offer that. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Completely agree. 

I quickly gave up on Villa Facebook and try to ignore Villa Twitter. It says something when On Topic is the most sane social media place as that place is scary. 

When we were in the Championship I joined a group who were showing the games every week. I think I lasted 2 games on it as it was so vile

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

How does bullying work? Is it different than calling a player crap who is 19.is that bullying? 

Not actually sure what your saying here.  It seems like you are ridiculously claiming criticising  a performance is bullying? If thats bullying then close the site, close the sport and lets just be robots.

We all know what the difference is between criticism and bullying is 

We all know this social media boycott is obviously to tackle racism and all clubs have switched off their social media platforms. However, I'm not too sure if it'll achieve anything by switching off social media accounts but I don't know what you would think of this one.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/34651/12307438/fa-cup-final-some-wembley-fans-boo-as-leicester-and-chelsea-players-take-a-knee-before-kick-off

Boos from some fans were heard at Wembley Stadium as Chelsea and Leicester City players took a knee ahead of kick-off in Saturday's FA Cup final; the jeering could be heard alongside applause from other fans

Please don't do this Sunday villa fans...if you don't agree, just stay silent. please don't make headlines. it's been repeatedly said that it's not a political gesture, so the only reason one has to boo is that they're pro-racism. therefore anyone boos near me, i'll be reporting them to kick it out

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I was pretty sure I heard some boos. Football fans are words removed

Yup.

But equally the media, newspapers and polictans who stoke up racism - with ridduclous stories about migrant benefit claims - and the invasion of migrants through the tunnel goes totally unchecked.

There are some boneheads at football matches who will do anything to get a few lines of notriety in the press.

Edited by hippo

8 people arrested and 4 more questioned following racist abuse of a player in the spurs vs utd game in April

Sounds like utd have some sort of filtering system that they can pass on details to the police 

All of it on twitter 

I imagine a lot of them are thick and still think BLM is an attack on white lives. The amount of times I heard "well what about white lives?" last year drove me mad. Stupid.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Would be interested to hear from a pro booer! I just can’t get my head around why anyone would do that. It was so sad to hear. You only have to look at what happened to our very own Dalian to see that we still have a real massive problem. I would urge anyone who thought booing was a good idea to read what happened to Dalian. It might give you a very different perspective.

Because they're words removed. 

• Like 1

Â