January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Wonder if we will try for Nick Powell at Wigan?

Contract up soon and can play in various positions.

Perhaps more of a complement to Grealish that to Tammy. but still.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

That’s it. I only want to see links to players who’s names relate to either 

a) Property 

b) Structual engineering

we’re Aston Villa - and we are building for the future. 

Ryan Woods

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd argue that's potentially the issue...

Agreed. Midfield is a massive issue. Hourihane is not a defensive midfielder and we haven’t got anyone good enough to fill that role.

10 minutes ago, Hanky said:

Agreed. Midfield is a massive issue. Hourihane is not a defensive midfielder and we haven’t got anyone good enough to fill that role.

I think at full strength, the three of McGinn (deep), Hourihane and grealish (attacking) is a strong setup.

But we're seeing as soon as one of them is injured we're nowhere near as strong.
As much as I defend Whelan, it's really relative to the rest of the options. We could do with someone better there.

But as I hinted at above, I think having a dedicated DM isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean we're suddenly not going to be attacking (or at least it shouldn't).

A team with a dedicated DM with McGinn, Grealish, Bolasie, El Ghazi and Abraham all playing in front of them should still be incredibly attacking, but retain a bit of grit at the back to stop us shipping so many goals.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think at full strength, the three of McGinn (deep), Hourihane and grealish (attacking) is a strong setup.

But we're seeing as soon as one of them is injured we're nowhere near as strong.
As much as I defend Whelan, it's really relative to the rest of the options. We could do with someone better there.

But as I hinted at above, I think having a dedicated DM isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean we're suddenly not going to be attacking (or at least it shouldn't).

A team with a dedicated DM with McGinn, Grealish, Bolasie, El Ghazi and Abraham all playing in front of them should still be incredibly attacking, but retain a bit of grit at the back to stop us shipping so many goals.

I think you’re right Stevo, it’s probably just the title, “Defensive Midfielder” that gives the negative perception in terms of how we would set up. A good, dynamic, central midfielder who can run the game, know when to move forward into space, know when to pass and play the right pass, but who sits a little deeper is what we want. A midfield general if you like. I know it’s only semantics, but defensive midfielder perhaps doesn’t quite describe what we need. 

27 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I really hope we stop with this short term thinking of constantly loaning players. It isn't sustainable at all. 

You’re right and I think the owners agree with you. I’m sure Dean Smith said something along those lines recently.