January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

On 04/12/2018 at 18:04, KenjiOgiwara said:

For some reason I completely trust DS in the transfer market. Not sure why, just have a good feeling about it. And I can honestly say that's the first time I've felt that about a Villa manager. Pretty sure DS has a solid overview of potentially good buys from the lower divisions. Will be nice to buy some reasonably priced talent instead of the overpaid dross we've signed the last 10 years. Bruce deserves credit for McGinn though. More of that please. 

In a weird way, I'm really hoping we sign a few £1-2m nobodies from the lower leagues - "WTF??" moments that turn out to be master strokes

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Heaton would be just about the best signing we could make in January. I’d love it to be a perm deal rather than a loan, I sick of the instability in that position. 

Couldn't agree more. I don't want to be in this position again next season.

It ridiculous not to have any capable players for these positions.

Loans should be to supplement a squad not the only option.

I like Heaton but only just returned from a long injury.

Feel we should look elsewhere personally knowing our luck if we signed him he would be injured on his debut.

Liam Roberts is cracking keeper at Walsall wonder if we will go for him as backup but challenging for number 1 shirt. Neil Cutler was Liam’s coach for a while at Walsall and rates him highly m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Has anybody actually seen him play?

Heaton?

yeah loads. He's been a regular first team keeper, mostly for Burnley, for the past 5 or 6 seasons.

It's only last season that he disappeared because of injury.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

Has anybody actually seen him play?

I've started to wonder the same, based on all of the rave reviews I've seen.

All I know is that he is Burnley number 2/3 keeper?

EDIT: @Stevo985 basically answered above.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Gotta be honest. After years of countless big contracts handed out to elderly players, some with dodgy injury status I am a bit apprehensive in signing Heaton on a permanent in January.

I know goalies are different and hopefully he's past his problems with his shoulder, but still.

He'll be 33 before the season ends (not the end of the world for a keeper, but I'm not sure that's true anymore to the same degree) and will want a 2.5-3 year contract, probably.

Apparently he's earning peanuts (#15k/w) at Burnley so that is certainly in his favor. 

And if we can get him for something like that I'd be all for it as he'd be a perfect cheap #2 for a few seasons should we get promoted.

Loan with option to buy would be ideal IMO.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've started to wonder the same, based on all of the rave reviews I've seen.

All I know is that he is Burnley number 2/3 keeper?

EDIT: @Stevo985 basically answered above.

He's number 2 or 3 now because he got a big injury and they signed Joe Hart. he was a regular for years before that.

Heaton isn't some unknown youngster. He's 32, has played full seasons in the top flight and has England caps.

he's way too good for us, and would be a brilliant signing.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's number 2 or 3 now because he got a big injury and they signed Joe Hart. he was a regular for years before that.

Heaton isn't some unknown youngster. He's 32, has played full seasons in the top flight and has England caps.

Totally. I’m amazed people haven’t seen him dozens of times, even if you just watch match of the day you’d have seen him on there a couple of season ago week in week out. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We're Aston Villa. No-one is " way too good for us "

2 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

We're Aston Villa. No-one is " way too good for us "

We're in the Championship.

There are hundreds of players who are way too good for us.

Take the claret and blue specs off.