January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Hmm Interesting!!

MAUPAY-DAY 

Aston Villa lining up swoop for in-form Brentford striker Neal Maupay

Frenchman would be an ideal replacement for Tammy Abraham, who's been on loan at Villa, but is set to join Wolves

By Dave Fraser

6th January 2019, 4:45 pm

Updated: 6th January 2019, 5:09 pm

ASTON VILLA are lining up a swoop for 16-goal Brentford striker Neal Maupay.

The Frenchman, 22, would be an ideal replacement for Tammy Abraham, who has been on loan at Villa from Chelsea this season, but is set to join Premier League side Wolves.

Neal Maupay could be on his way to Aston Villa this month

Get the best Football stories with our daily newsletter

Your information will be used in accordance with our privacy policy

Former Bees boss Dean Smith, now in charge at the Midlands club, took Maupay to Griffin Park from Saint-Etienne in the summer of 2017.

The fee then was around £2million, but Villa could expect to pay at least three times that to Championship rivals Brentford, who are experts at getting top dollar for their players.

The London club banked £7m last week when midfielder Ryan Woods, signed from Shrewsbury for £1m, made his move to Stoke permanent.

Frenchman Maupay has scored 15 of Brentford’s 36 Championship goals this season, and cracked a late winner from the penalty spot in Saturday’s 1-0 FA Cup third-round victory over Oxford.

Neal Maupay scored in the FA Cup win over Oxford yesterday

Bees boss Thomas Frank admitted there was no guarantee that he could keep his top scorer.

The Dane said: “We hope he stays here for a long, long time. But with good players, we never ever know what happens with them.”

Meanwhile, Wolves have accepted a bid from Aston Villa for Kortney Hause.

The 23-year-old centre-back will now complete a move to Villa Park when he undergoes a medical and negotiates personal terms.

Maupay would be a excellent signing and is very young. I would b thrilled with him as tammys replacement. Also looks like Hause is coming. Although I thought he had a foot injury??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maupay was really good in the game at villa park. We just could not contain him. He is a right pest and has a nasty side to him. Something I feel.our side lacks.

Without question he will come if we pay what brentford want

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if we could afford Maupay. We paid Brentford 10 mill for Hogan a couple of years ago and I'd imagine they'd be looking for a similar fee. I just can't see us spending anything like that having already spent 6 mill on a keeper.

If Abraham goes it may well mean relying on Kodjia, Davis and Hogan and I think if we can continue to create chances, as we have for much of Smiths time, then Kodjia would certainly thrive through the middle again.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

A decent central defender, a pacy left back, a young mobile defensive midfielder and possibly a striker. No pressure.

Jedinak, Moreira to leave, O'Hare out on loan. Beg Richards to terminate his contract early if any possibility. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'd be surprised if we could afford Maupay. We paid Brentford 10 mill for Hogan a couple of years ago and I'd imagine they'd be looking for a similar fee. I just can't see us spending anything like that having already spend 6 mill on a keeper.

If Abraham goes it may well mean relying on Kodjia, Davis and Hogan and I think if we can continue to create chances, as we have for much of Smiths time, then Kodjia would certainly thrive through the middle again.

Anything relying on hogan in afraid results in no promotion. He has been a complete and utter flop.

Yep, no TA replacement and we’re looking at long term promo challenge. Am sure Kodjia can score a few in meantime, but wouldn’t want us to overpay for maupay. Got to be discussions at least, given DS history with player and recent come get me plea. 

44 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

A decent central defender, a pacy left back, a young mobile defensive midfielder and possibly a striker. No pressure.

Jedinak, Moreira to leave, O'Hare out on loan. Beg Richards to terminate his contract early if any possibility. 

the Martin Bain approach :P

• Like 2