Dean Smith

Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Difficult schedule, sure. But our form over the last 11 games is:

2 wins, 1 draw and 8 losses = 7 points out of 33 with 10 goals scored and 41 goals conceded.

In the last 5 we have kept 1 clean sheet and still shipped 12 goals.

Sadly I don't see a single sign we are moving in the right direction, quite the opposite. We seem to be bottling it.

Damning stats and indefensible IMO. 

46 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don’t agree with much of the criticism aimed at Deano, and am of the view things may well improve.

But....

” I’d like to think in a similar situation our players would put the ball out” concerns me.

I prefer the Troy Deeney approach - ( sorry, I know he’s a knob ) it’s an important game get on with it.

More of the Deeney and we’d be a crucial few points better off.

I wonder if JT shares Deanos view on this ?

You'd think he and the team would have learned from the Leeds debacle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

When he first came in , what I liked about his post match interviews is he would say what the issues where not the usual ''we need to work harder'' '' go again '' ''poor ref '' like we had to endure under Lambert and Bruce but he has reverted to being like them now.I didn't care for his ''we lost the game in the fh '' comment either , there was still a half to go we could of made changes , then even went down to 10 men if he had already given  up then its no wonder the players came out and showed nothing.

Exactly.... And I think the black and white of it is if he wasn’t a villa fan I’d want him gone. 

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Best hope he starts proving everyone wrong because looks like he isn't going anywhere.

I reckon he’s got the Burnley game. 

Just now, Zatman said:

hypothetical time. Villa go down but win the Carabao Cup. I think that would be actually a good season. Cant think of many promoted teams winning silverware in first season in top flight

Leicester will annihilate us if Smith is in charge. And no it would be a horrible season.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Leicester will annihilate us if Smith is in charge. And no it would be a horrible season.

horrible? more drama

We nearly didnt have a club 18 months ago or did your ego forget that

18 minutes ago, Nabby said:

When he first came in , what I liked about his post match interviews is he would say what the issues where not the usual ''we need to work harder'' '' go again '' ''poor ref '' like we had to endure under Lambert and Bruce but he has reverted to being like them now.I didn't care for his ''we lost the game in the fh '' comment either , there was still a half to go we could of made changes , then even went down to 10 men if he had already given  up then its no wonder the players came out and showed nothing.

This is my biggest concern, by far.

Losing games, being inferior to the opposition, people making mistakes, so called ‘ no Plan B’, substitutions etc, I don’t really worry about any of that, it happens to every Club, all the time. It’s mostly fans over reacting.

But he himself appears - appears - to have changed, both in his effort to impose a good footballing style ( we hoof an awful lot now ) and, crucially, in what you’ve highlighted here.

I recall “ we set traps which worked” and “ we showed clips at half time” as two off the top of my head early days examples ( not special in themselves but indicative).....whereas we now hear only the same old stuff as we had off others. No insight. And again I agree what on Earth does “ we lost it in the first half” mean ? That’s really rather a shocking comment. And it’s not a million miles away from saying “ we lost it before we started”.

Way way more than specific performances or results these type of comments leave me very concerned about whether he himself feels fully in charge, in control, and up to the job. I need to hear/ see/ feel that he is in complete command of himself, of every player, of the situation. Not hearing that at present.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

hypothetical time. Villa go down but win the Carabao Cup. I think that would be actually a good season. Cant think of many promoted teams winning silverware in first season in top flight

I’d agree, if we were ( or if we do) playing the way he appeared to want to play ( I don’t just mean ‘ attractive’ or ‘passing’ etc, but he had a certain blueprint) and if he appeared to be fully in command and control of the Team. 

We can go down, if we are improving overall throughout the First Team, throughout the Club, if it’s a case of One step back then two forward.

Based on the last month however, it’s going to take a considerable change - not just a couple of results - for that to look on the cards.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

his just spent 120m on players or hopefully had some say.

He needs to learn to coach the players the basics first

Go on then, break down the spend per player - does it put our squad at an advantage to the rest of the league? 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think he needs better players for this league. 

I don’t.

He needs better players to be certain of a safe campaign, but he doesn’t need better players to put up a decent fight against the other 10 sides in the bottom half.

Thars largely already been proven as our record against those sides has been good until recently ( and could still prove to be so).

Our players are on a par with those around us.

Id say the blend is wrong though. A Whelan, or even better a Robbie Savage, or two, is needed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

his just spent 120m on players or hopefully had some say.

He needs to learn to coach the players the basics first

We signed an entire new team for that.

It's not like we had a Prem ready team and that £120m was spent on 4 quality additions.

£120m built a decent base, now we need to add some additional quality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

We signed an entire new team for that.

It's not like we had a Prem ready team and that £120m was spent on 4 quality additions.

£120m built a decent base, now we need to add some additional quality. 

I’d prefer less ‘quality’, more aggression/ destruction..( which is of course a quality in itself) . I think we have some decent footballers but they are not getting a platform.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Go on then, break down the spend per player - does it put our squad at an advantage to the rest of the league? 

Mate -  my point is why would we trust him to spend any  more?  Yes we are at a disadvantage to the 17 teams above us!

Like the guy  but he is now out of his depth totally. 

Â