Dean Smith

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

We practicaly have a whole minibus full of midfielders at the moment

And if it's McGinn insisting on playing like Mings did it's poor management.

Also when Anwar and Mings almost headbutted eachother early on in the season he again let the players figure it out for themselves. I don't like that.

Can't let players make decisions for you.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Exactly. Smith is reactive not proactive. Big weakness

Strange thing is that everytime we played Brentford Smith would tweak something and Bruce didnt appear to know how to counter and we ended up losing.

I think he does need to look at who we have and how he can get the best out of them, it may mean going 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 or 3-5-2. I am not sure he has the desire or nous to make a big change. Lets see.

34 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Did we have a dozen spare defenders in the squad when Chester was playing? We practicaly have a whole minibus full of midfielders at the moment

There were many other defenders that could of been brought in, ie someone from the u23s to relieve Chester, if his career and playing time was on the line it should of happened, no if's or but's about it, it was bad management.

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We're so bad at giving the youth a chance.

Even when we got no defenders they still don't get a nick in.

Yes that's true and it's so annoying because we should be giving them ways to break through and in the Chester situation alone would of been the perfect time to bring one through.

We seem to play our players till they are dropping dead on the pitch because they are so tired and form has dropped, Mcginn is an example.

See Wesley hasn't been performing and I wouldn't trust Kodjia, Lansbo isn't playing well, Davis isn't prem quality either and just no to Hogan. Yet we have an U23s forward playing well, so let's give Indiana Vassilev a go, what do we have to lose, nothing really. Lwts find out if this youngster has hot what it takes before January hits and we buy someone.

See Liverpool are playing youngsters against us in the cup and yeah they might be concentrating on the league, seriously though at least they are developing there Younglins. We may as well shut down our youth programs because we only get one in a blue moon compared to other clubs that's absolutely ridiculous. 

Villa need more youths coming through, and we need to stop burning our talent completely out to the point they can't function properly, it's that simple.

Edited by Dave-R

Yeah, we have an appalling record of bringing people through the academy. Only players from memory who have done anything of note from our academy in recent years are Grealish, Gabby and Cahill. Of those, Gabby’s career fell off a cliff edge and Cahill was let go on the cheap.

Players like Green, Hepburn Murphy, O’Hare were all seen as extremely promising at one stage but are nowhere near first team standard yet despite being 21 now. I suspect Ramsey’s career might go the same way.

Either we’re overhyping our young players and our academy isn’t good enough, or they’re not being given opportunities to develop in the appropriate way.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yeah, we have an appalling record of bringing people through the academy. Only players from memory who have done anything of note from our academy in recent years are Grealish, Gabby and Cahill. Of those, Gabby’s career fell off a cliff edge and Cahill was let go on the cheap.

Albrighton, Weimann, Bannan, Lichaj, Hogg, Gardners, James Collins, Daniel Johnson, Robinson, Steven Davis, Whittingham all had good solid careers. A lot worse players played for us

The hyped ones like Delfounese and Moores did nothing 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Albrighton, Weimann, Bannan, Lichaj, Hogg, Gardners, James Collins, Daniel Johnson, Robinson, Steven Davis, Whittingham all had good solid careers. A lot worse players played for us

Forgot Albrighton. Still felt we should have made more of him though - he looked a future England player when he came through under Houllier. Then we let him go on a free to Leicester.

The others have all had solid careers but pretty much all in the second tier or below with the exception of Davis. Not great really.

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You must feel that there is something seriously wrong when it comes to our youth breaking through. I bet at some point it pops up, that they all say that they are there for nothing at times, I bet that's what it feels like for them because we must be one of the worst in football for giving our youth a chance. I can't seeing it changing anytime soon either, bet it feels like a brick wall for these youths. I thought there was a glimmer of hope with Ramsey, then he seemed to of drifted away out of the light.

I think it should be put into football law that you must field at least one U23's player, it would show intent that youth is being given a chance.

Edited by Dave-R

8 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The others have all had solid careers but pretty much all in the second tier or below with the exception of Davis. Not great really.

Thats a good number for the last 15 years. Look at other clubs except Spurs and Chelsea who are forced play youth. Alexander Arnold 1st Liverpool had since Gerrard, United got Rashford, Pogba and Lingard. Arsenal nothing since Wilshere maybe. City nothing since Ireland/Richards. 

We are doing fine

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

There were many other defenders that could of been brought in, ie someone from the u23s to relieve Chester, if his career and playing time was on the line it should of happened, no if's or but's about it, it was bad management.

I agree with you completely. We didn't have any first team defenders but a kid could possibly have been given a chance. McGinn is different though, we could pretty much field an entire 11 made up solely of midfielders so why play an injured one, especially in games where we were going in expecting nothing other than hopefully trying to keep the goal difference in tact

I think we are in a similar situation to Arsenal..... except in terms of the flair and talent they have more to mask over the inadequacies.

They lack most of the things we do....but because they have better talent than us they will survive, but their issue is, surviving is not enough for Arsenal.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Thats a good number for the last 15 years. Look at other clubs except Spurs and Chelsea who are forced play youth. Alexander Arnold 1st Liverpool had since Gerrard, United got Rashford, Pogba and Lingard. Arsenal nothing since Wilshere maybe. City nothing since Ireland/Richards. 

We are doing fine

'We are doing fine', very 😂 

Regards,

G.T.

We're in a cup semi final but it doesn't seem like a big deal, feels a bit weird. Probably because I feel like we won't get past this stage. We've had a bit of luck against opposition team selections along the way but still delighted for the team and Smith. 

Lets make it right in the league now over these next 3 games. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

James Collins was a Villa academy product?

Â