Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Its one thing being set up not to lose....(not saying I like it)

Its another thing to say you have the players who can do it.

I don't think we have, they have been recruited to play the way Dean wants, so Its no surprise that it would be difficult to play it tight and cautious.

I would like to think we have players so rounded and complete that it wasn't an and or either and could do both....but it seems it is, and they can't do both..... judging by the comments, if they are accurate.

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its one thing being set up not to lose....(not saying I like it)

Its another thing to say you have the players who can do it.

I don't think we have, they have been recruited to play the way Dean wants, so Its no surprise that it would be difficult to play it tight and cautious.

I would like to think we have players so rounded and complete that it wasn't an and or either and could do both....but it seems it is, and they can't do both..... judging by the comments, if they are accurate.

Spot on.

Massive mistake by Smith.

We need to accept and understand what we are.

Attack is our strength. Defense is our weakness. We need to play to our strengths. 

Hopefully Smith never attempts to do this again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re such a hypocrite. Also did he even say this?

Doesn't appear so. He said we didn't go toe to toe. That doesn't mean we didn't try to win the game.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Spot on.

Massive mistake by Smith.

We need to accept and understand what we are.

Attack is our strength. Defense is our weakness. We need to play to our strengths. 

Hopefully Smith never attempts to do this again.

HAVE YOU NOT SEEN WHAT YOU POST IN THE WES THREAD?!?!?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Did you even watch the game? It was pretty obvious how we were set up.

To be honest I didn’t. I just see you grabbing any chance you can go have a go at Smith and felt compelled to respond.  I’m pretty sure you’ve spoken about us being too attacking in this league many times. Now you’ve having a go because we were too defensive.  When you go quiet it means we are winning games. Really hope you go quiet for the next 2 weeks ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be honest I didn’t. I just see you grabbing any chance you can go have a go at Smith and felt compelled to respond.  I’m pretty sure you’ve spoken about us being too attacking in this league many times. Now you’ve having a go because we were too defensive.  When you go quiet it means we are winning games. Really hope you go quiet for the next 2 weeks ;)

You know there is a middle ground between attacking and parking the bus.

Against Sheff Utd we straight out parked the bus and it was really, really stupid. We don't have the playing squad for that type of approach nor do we have a head coach suited to it.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

You know there is a middle ground between attacking and parking the bus.

Against Sheff Utd we straight out parked the bus and it was really, really stupid.

I’ll have to watch it back to comment. We had 43% and 4 attempts to their 5. Although non on target.  So whilst maybe not park the bus it does sound like a poor performance.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ll have to watch it back to comment. We had 43% and 4 attempts to their 5. Although non on target.  So whilst maybe not park the bus it does sound like a poor performance.

It was kind of parking the bus for the first half. Every single shot we had happened in the second half. It went out the window once we conceded early in the second half.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Doesn't appear so. He said we didn't go toe to toe. That doesn't mean we didn't try to win the game.

We definitely abandoned the playing out from the back principle.  Of course that's not the same as not wanting to win but I think we did put more into not taking risks and getting a clean sheet.  I'm glad he looks like scrapping it as we go into these next few fixtures.  If we play anything close to our best attacking football I think we will win most of these games coming up.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

We definitely abandoned the playing out from the back principle.  Of course that's not the same as not wanting to win but I think we did put more into not taking risks and getting a clean sheet.  I'm glad he looks like scrapping it as we go into these next few fixtures.  If we play anything close to our best attacking football I think we will win most of these games coming up.

I think the fact that Mings didn’t play had a big influence on the way we played from the back. I know he’s out for a few games but I think we will have worked on keeping to our usual game plan with whoever plays in his place. 

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding a bit old school, I'm starting to think our biggest problem is set pieces. We're matching most teams in open play (even the Sheffield Utd game wasn't really a domination... just better execution by them in key moments).

If we could defend set pieces properly, we'd have had 3 points vs. Man Utd, 1 point vs Arsenal, and probably extra points against teams like Brighton, etc.

This is probably a combination of a coaching thing, and also the players we have (e.g. Wesley isn't much use attacking a cross, none of our midfielders are good in the air, our defenders are quite young and inexperienced).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Hasn’t there been a statistic that we have conceded the most headed goals this season ?

We are missing defensive headers that Tammy was so good at.Does Wesley win any headers ?

I think Southampton are weak in central defence so game tomorrow could be high scoring.

I doubt it's as simple as a Wes / Tammy thing. Wes is okay on defensive headers.

Besides Engels / Mings / Wesley we have quite a short team. You look at the top teams, and they usually have a couple of midfielders who are very good in the air - Fernandinho, Wijnaldum, etc. We're just generally poor across the squad.

Don't want to read too much into it, because ultimately it's outfield play that gets you in those positions. But we are throwing away points because of it.

Â