Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Reading the Sheff U forum, they make a point that Grealish would do a lot better under Chris Wilder and their coaching team and they clearly they don't rate Smith as a manager.

Not necessarily saying that means he's a bad manager, it's just interesting to see what the opposition think. Before the season I rated Smith and Wilder at about the same level, with neither proven in the PL, but having done great things with their boyhood clubs. However, right now Wilder is absolutely proving himself to be a much better manager. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Reading the Sheff U forum, they make a point that Grealish would do a lot better under Chris Wilder and their coaching team and they clearly they don't rate Smith as a manager.

Not necessarily saying that means he's a bad manager, it's just interesting to see what the opposition think. Before the season I rated Smith and Wilder at about the same level, with neither proven in the PL, but having done great things with their boyhood clubs. However, right now Wilder is absolutely proving himself to be a much better manager. 

All about opinions, I think its Oxford fans who cant believe how well Wilder is doing as tried his tactic there and they were abysmal. 

Wilder has also been at Sheffield 4 seasons, this is Smith 1st full season

• Like 3

I’ve read recently in here that the youth team play in a style similar to brentford, I don’t think the first team have got there yet. So I got thinking why was this? 

Mainly it stems from the midfield. I don’t think we have that midfielder who passes and moves all the time, keeps the ball moving well. At Brentford it was Woods who did that role. Weird as it seems and I was critical when he was here but Westwood would suit Smith well. I’m hoping Luiz has the attributes to get to that. 

We also don’t have those players in midfield that can play through balls for the striker to run into. In the squad I only see Jack (playing out wide and currently doesn’t seem to fully trust Wes), Jota (too lightweight and not quick enough to play out wide in the Prem) and Lansbury (not fit enough and gets injured sneezing) who can see and play those balls. The wingers and other midfielders can’t play those balls.

McGinn, not really a Smith type of player in that he’s not overly comfortable on the ball. But he was that successful,  that iconic and that much energy last season that Smith couldn’t possibly build a side without him. This season, he’s been forced higher up the field as he a good shot on him, but he doesn’t have the intricacies to make a through ball. We are now missing his battling further down. 

Hourihane, similar to a McGinn in in that doesn’t suit the style Smith plays, but again because of the goal threat he offers it’s hard not to have him there. 

In a way, Smith is slightly hampered by his own success (not that he or we would change that). Another year in the championship may have given us time to implement the passing style more effectively and even given us more opportunity to bring through the youngsters who play that style.

I think Smith will get there this side and we just need to be patient with him. 

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Tbh tend to agree a 4231 would suit us better. (With our current players)

Deane does seem completely set on 433 come hell or high water though, so can't see it.

Its like I said before.DS is obviousl;y stubbon and wont change anything.Thats why Wesley is still leading our attack and thats why we are still playing 4 3 3

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This just makes me question Smith even more. Shocking if true.

I could understand it if he was actually capable of performing, but he's noticeably off the pace and hardly contributing anything. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Its like I said before.DS is obviousl;y stubbon and wont change anything.Thats why Wesley is still leading our attack and thats why we are still playing 4 3 3

4-2-3-1 would be great for us. Jack would be great playing as a 10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

All about opinions, I think its Oxford fans who cant believe how well Wilder is doing as tried his tactic there and they were abysmal. 

Wilder has also been at Sheffield 4 seasons, this is Smith 1st full season

I know a few Northampton Town fans, and Wilder worked absolute miracles there, giving them their one decent season in twenty years, when they won the division by a country mile and got promoted.

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve read recently in here that the youth team play in a style similar to brentford, I don’t think the first team have got there yet. So I got thinking why was this? 

Mainly it stems from the midfield. I don’t think we have that midfielder who passes and moves all the time, keeps the ball moving well. At Brentford it was Woods who did that role. Weird as it seems and I was critical when he was here but Westwood would suit Smith well. I’m hoping Luiz has the attributes to get to that. 

We also don’t have those players in midfield that can play through balls for the striker to run into. In the squad I only see Jack (playing out wide and currently doesn’t seem to fully trust Wes), Jota (too lightweight and not quick enough to play out wide in the Prem) and Lansbury (not fit enough and gets injured sneezing) who can see and play those balls. The wingers and other midfielders can’t play those balls.

McGinn, not really a Smith type of player in that he’s not overly comfortable on the ball. But he was that successful,  that iconic and that much energy last season that Smith couldn’t possibly build a side without him. This season, he’s been forced higher up the field as he a good shot on him, but he doesn’t have the intricacies to make a through ball. We are now missing his battling further down. 

Hourihane, similar to a McGinn in in that doesn’t suit the style Smith plays, but again because of the goal threat he offers it’s hard not to have him there. 

In a way, Smith is slightly hampered by his own success (not that he or we would change that). Another year in the championship may have given us time to implement the passing style more effectively and even given us more opportunity to bring through the youngsters who play that style.

I think Smith will get there this side and we just need to be patient with him. 

Problem as I see it is, you cannot play his style in the Premer league without top players. We smashed it in the Championship because you have more time on the ball. The worry for me is he is trying to make us into the Brentford pass and run style, but you ain't gonna get away with that in this League. 

Also it is blatant we need to up the aggression or graft, what ever you want to call it. Wolves dont really have the aggression either which is why they lost in the dying minutes against Tottenham. Wolves may be in a good position, but they are not really winning games, 5 to our 4.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This just makes me question Smith even more. Shocking if true.

What are you serious, nobody questioned those allowing Chester to play on through his injury.

I think we're now at the point where Fans, media, pundits are using anything that pops up against Smith. Im not down for this method of play against a Coach who is in his first season.

There are better ways to prove he isn't right for the job anymore, like waiting another few games, if we can't beat bottom of the table that should set alarm bells raising.

You could see the difference between Wilder and Smith on the pitch. Every chance Wilder got he was calling over a player here and there. Wilder was also switching players around during the game, he knew exactly how to get at us and have his players get at us. Wilder's plans and tactics frequently changed throughout there game with us. We were left all game looking stale, you can not have this in the premier league, you have to relise when things are not going to plan that things must be changed and switched around to the best of your ability.

Compared to the rest who look like 3d, we are looking one dimensional because we dont change anything. We dont make the opposition think and at this level your playing against super fast thinkers who can unravel you faster than they can run.

Can't say I'm overly confident of it happening, but looking at Sheffield United's and our fixtures over the festive period, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the ten point gap between them and us could be closed significantly. They play Brighton (a), Watford (h), Liverpool (a) and Man City (a), whilst we play the bottom three and Burnley.

30 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

You could see the difference between Wilder and Smith on the pitch. Every chance Wilder got he was calling over a player here and there. Wilder was also switching players around during the game, he knew exactly how to get at us and have his players get at us. Wilder's plans and tactics frequently changed throughout there game with us. We were left all game looking stale, you can not have this in the premier league, you have to relise when things are not going to plan that things must be changed and switched around to the best of your ability.

Compared to the rest who look like 3d, we are looking one dimensional because we dont change anything. We dont make the opposition think and at this level your playing against super fast thinkers who can unravel you faster than they can run.

Yeah Wilder seems very proactive, that's why at HT he got into the players and told them to play the ball quicker. Not sure what Smith said at HT but we were lacklustre second half, in fact most second halves we are so there is something seriously wrong with his team talks. 

Someone said on this thread that only Heaton and Grealish would get into most PL teams, that simply isn't true. Mings, Guilbert, Engels, Nakamba, Luiz, El Ghazi, even Hourihane and Trezeguet have all shown they can play at this level. Look at Sheffield United: how many of their players would other teams in the bottom half of the PL be envious of? Very few if any let's be honest. I also look at sides above us like Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley, Palace and even Bournemouth (particularly with their current injury crisis) and apart from a few players I'm not envious of what they've got and we haven't. The one area we really need something is up front, but Newcastle and Palace also lack a clinical number 9 and they're both midtable.

Despite my criticism of Smith, I still think he can turn this around in the next few weeks with the games we have coming up. 

Â