Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lol. what? We are by the very definition a work in progress. What on earth are you on about? 

With work in progress, you are supposed to see progress. 2-0 against a team we beat fairly last season does not show any progress to me, no matter where they are in the League. It actually shows they have progressed far more than us, to beat us this season as comfortably as they did

I'm not sure on Benitez or poch, someone needs to tell me, even Wilder could not get better from this squad of players.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Thanks 2

Just now, foreveryoung said:

With work in progress, you are supposed to see progress. 2-0 against a team we beat fairly last season does not show any progress to me, no matter where they are in the League. It actually shows they have progressed far more than us, to beat us this season as comfortably as they did

You do realise other teams can progress faster than others? Suddenly in 3 months we have progressed and they haven't. It's not a linear curve. 

I hope Dean and the rest of the people behind the football side of things are feeling some pressure now, because we are awful. Absolutely clueless in the middle of the pitch, can’t defend, and we play a striker who doesn’t know what his role is. 

I’m particularly interested in the recruitment side of things. Have we tried to moneyball this? God knows what the analysis has brought up and the chats around the table about each signing we have made. 

Edited by Tayls

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You do realise other teams can progress faster than others? Suddenly in 3 months we have progressed and they haven't. It's not a linear curve. 

Then we need to progress faster, or else relegation looms. Does it not worry you, Smith still does not know his best team, or tactics, half way through the season. the change today was diabolical.

We can't keep saying "ohh but they are better than us blah blah", we need to start winning games, we have had no shock wins this season, every team we should lose against we have. Now the defense is, "ohh but we will beat the teams below us"..................................Will we????

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's obvious Smith works hard during the week setting the team up correct. our first half results agains the likes of spurs and arse and liverpool should back this up?

it's in the 2nd half we constantly fall apart. When other teams change shape or personel or up tempo like today we never deal with it.

I see in the last home games smith terry cutler having a 10 min mothers meeting. every 2nd half.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Then we need to progress faster, or else relegation looms. Does it not worry you, Smith still does not know his best team, or tactics, half way through the season. the change today was diabolical.

Nobody likes losing. But then there's cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

I was very negative to the team selection, which I think can be verified by anyone the ventured into the pre match thread. But Lansbury and especially Hause did rather well. Wesley is still a donkey, but at least he got subbed. The team selection wasn't the issue today. It was the urgency, tactics and calls from Deano. 

But all of this is a work in progress and will improve. 

The match would also have been a bit different if we scored that penalty. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

19 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

The way we play is really unlike past Smith team like Brentford. What’s seemed to be wrong ??

I've also thought that, I mean, he would never have had a striker like Wesley in his Brentford side. Obviously the Villa job comes with a lot more expectations, hence, added pressure to get the job done quicker. I really hope he succeeds, but something seems very much amiss at the moment 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes. He would get us back up. It's a case now where we are rebuilding a football club. Everything from infrastructure to squad and more importantly football philosophy. 

We made massive squad changes this summer. Some have been great. Some have been poor. Some signings are definitely missing. But giving up and going back to the managerial swing door is not how I see we can achieve long term success at this club. 

It was always going to be a very very difficult season. We are just a couple of wins off solid mid table position. We've played a lot of difficult games lately. Easier run coming up. New signings will be made. 

And we are on general more entertaining to watch than I can remember for a long bloody time. We will take a beating now and then and struggle to stay up this season, but that was always on the cards.

It doesn't mean we don't have to improve or Deano shouldn't learn. 
But we've been here before last season. We recovered. It's time to stick behind the club and rock the team on. I fully believe we can survive the drop and achieve something great long term. But it won't happen if we now overreact every time we hit a rough patch. 

Firstly, today's game was suppose to be the first up in the winnable games that many on here were peddling. Can chalk that off. I don't think if Smith takes this group of players down you can simply kick on in the championship next season with him and overlook the massive elephant in the room. He got 140 million worth of signings in this summer. Last season isn't comparable at all. It's Night and day. For every Leeds you play you'd get a Rotherham or Ipswich. Can easily paper over the cracks. Not in this league. You could also argue that burying your head in the sand whilst in a rough patch is the wrong thing to do also. Takes bravery to ask what's going wrong and talk about change when a coaching team look out of their depth. It's not panic button stuff.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Except Jack and Heaton our 1st XI would struggle to get in a lot of teams at this level. We shopped in the bargain basement in the summer because we needed a new squad 

Yep, we had to get in a lot of players. The problem when you do that is you need more of those bargains to come off.

Engels has look decent enough, El Ghazhi has chipped in with a few goals and assists, but apart from that too many are not pulling their weight.

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Other teams didn't spend 140 million. Can't have your cake and eat it. Spend that much and spunk it and questions will be asked. They don't get a free pass to dust themselves off and go again.

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nobody likes losing. But then there's cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

I was very negative to the team selection, which I think can be verified by anyone the ventured into the pre match thread. But Lansbury and especially Hause did rather well. Wesley is still a donkey, but at least he got subbed. The team selection wasn't the issue today. It was the urgency, tactics and calls from Deano. 

But all of this is a work in progress and will improve. 

'Work in progress'.  Where is the progress? 

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I've also thought that, I mean, he would never have had a striker like Wesley in his Brentford side. Obviously the Villa job comes with a lot more expectations, hence, added pressure to get the job done quicker. I really hope he succeeds, but something seems very much amiss at the moment 

Yes , from his initial interest in Maupay to Wesley , it’s totally different. If someone else is dictating signings rather than Smith.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

next four games will define the season. if we loose 3 of them were in  serious trouble .

If we lose all 3 of them we're pretty much odds on favorite for the drop lol. Like, you don't lose against the bottom 3 teams in the PL in a row and not be the favorite for the drop.(I know they might not be the bottom 3 as weeks go on, but the point still stands, they're arguably the 3 weakest teams in the PL right now other than us).

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's fine, I understand the anger, but I think you need to see the big picture. And I hope you will see it differently in a day or two. 

Can you see it.  ? Would be great if you could explain it to us layman.

Edited by Johnnyp

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still think the signings have all been decent except for Wes who is far too raw to be a consistent starter.

Yeah, same here with me. My gut feeling is these players should be good enough to at least keep us from being relegated. I just don't think Smith actually knows how to get the best out of them.

Â