Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, andym said:

Yep, we had to get in a lot of players. The problem when you do that is you need more of those bargains to come off.

Engels has look decent enough, El Ghazhi has chipped in with a few goals and assists, but apart from that too many are not pulling their weight.

Most of them look to have something for me, defense even looked good today.  Trez has some quality, didn't get a game today. Luiz also looks good, but come on too late. Mcginn is not performing, Grealish was played out position, an we know has quality. Heaton will be the one to save us from relegation, if we stay up, an lets not forget he can do nothing with Wesley, so why keep playing him. 

There's a good team in there for me, he's just not getting the best out of them. Smith blames the team not doing their job every post match interview which ain't gonna help. 

I like Smith and want him to progress, but there's something not working, an I can't see it's ever going too. Other teams are beating teams better than them, Bournemouth today. I can't think of any team we have beat who is better than us.

• Like 1

To give yourself a chance of winning games you need to pick your most prolific goal scorers and assisters. DS is picking a team on the basis of trying not to lose when it's blatantly obvious that we are not equipped to play like that. Look at the stats Dean!

It seems that a Premier League 'fear factor' has taken a grip of a naturally attack minded manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm not for sacking Smith but he does need to start proving he is also capable in this league. If I'm honest I haven't seen any real improvement in this team from the first couple of games of the season to now. 

Seriously wonder if he’s out of his depth at this level - seems to be Too often outfoxed by other managers and  has no plan B . 
‘this constant backing of Wesley is crazy - we can all see he needs to be dropped 

He sticks with the same tactics and formation every week and does nothing to change it during the game itself! He needs to be cleverer and mix things up a bit. If he doesn’t we are going straight back down!

Time to earn your corn Deano.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He has 8/9 games to save his job. I can excuse losing. I can’t excuse losing when you’re doing the same thing week in week out. 

Here’s an idea. Drop the donkey you keep playing up front every game? 

Moronic.

8/9 games lost and we will be relegated. I'm beginning to think he won't last, no real fight in the team, no real organisation which is generally the start of something.

I like others think the contract was to cover the compensation. The board wouldn't want him to leave with pennies after getting us promoted. 4 years is a bit strange though, although he may not be on big money, he came from Brentford remember.

• Like 1

One of the biggest issues i have is this. Purslow said in the summer that we were going away from the loan model and signing players outright. That's fine. Good plan actually. He also mentioned that we were going to be signing players who have good re-sale value in the future. Again, good thought process. But the primary and number one objective when signing any player is does he fit the philosophy and idea of how the manager wants to play the game. Wesley looks to of been a business signing, not a pure footballing one. Like someone mentioned previously you'd of never seen Smith sign a player like Wesley at Brentford. Again though they have a philosophy of how they want it played from top to bottom. I'd question our recruitment drive. I'd want to know more. If the stats guys who know nothing about football are telling us according to their data and analytics that X and Y will be worth whatever in 3 years time and we should sign him, that model worries me. Application. Work rate, talent, do they play the way we want them to. After all that's been asked, the rest can take care of itself.

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Seriously wonder if he’s out of his depth at this level - seems to be Too often outfoxed by other managers and  has no plan B . 
‘this constant backing of Wesley is crazy - we can all see he needs to be dropped 

If we forget the sentiments, I think he is.

From Walsall, when I knew him, to Brentford to Villa was never gonna end well. We have broke alot more experienced managers here.

We built a new team in the summer and the squad was completely overhauled, few of the new players had Premiership experience so we knew it would take time for that team to gel and us to find our feet, most presumed one half of season would be enough to hopefully to push on and survive in the second half.

Only we had a short period where we started to build a little bit of form and consistency and then every week our midfield would get rotated, our main forward would get worse and injuries started to disrupt things. Now we are heading into January with no confidence, no idea what our best team is, praying Smith will bring in a  couple of players who can save our season. We need a huge slice of luck for things to change.

Edited by VillanousOne

19 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

One of the biggest issues i have is this. Purslow said in the summer that we were going away from the loan model and signing players outright. That's fine. Good plan actually. He also mentioned that we were going to be signing players who have good re-sale value in the future. Again, good thought process. But the primary and number one objective when signing any player is does he fit the philosophy and idea of how the manager wants to play the game. Wesley looks to of been a business signing, not a pure footballing one. Like someone mentioned previously you'd of never seen Smith sign a player like Wesley at Brentford. Again though they have a philosophy of how they want it played from top to bottom. I'd question our recruitment drive. I'd want to know more. If the stats guys who know nothing about football are telling us according to their data and analytics that X and Y will be worth whatever in 3 years time and we should sign him, that model worries me. Application. Work rate, talent, do they play the way we want them to. After all that's been asked, the rest can take care of itself.

Does recruitment actually have an idea of what Smith is trying to make work, with some of the signings we've made you'd think not.

• Like 1

4 games is what I would give him.

Southampton, Norwich, Watford & Burnley. 9 points, less than that pull the plug and get a competent manager and backroom staff in.

It might sound brutal after last season, but there’s no room for sentiment these days. He’s beginning to look clueless on the sidelines and his selections are causing more problems than they are answers. His formation today left Grealish completely out of the game, one of the most in form players in the country secluded from play. He’ll be off in the Summer if we don’t sort ourselves out quickly.

I hate to be negative but we have seen what relegation can do to a football team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Southampton, Norwich, Watford & Burnley. 9 points, less than that pull the plug and get a competent manager and backroom staff in.

It might sound brutal after last season, but there’s no room for sentiment these days. He’s beginning to look clueless on the sidelines and his selections are causing more problems than they are answers. His formation today left Grealish completely out of the game, one of the most in form players in the country secluded from play. He’ll be off in the Summer if we don’t sort ourselves out quickly.

I hate to be negative but we have seen what relegation can do to a football team.

Too much at stake to risk this going on for long - I agree , review things on New Year’s Day 

• Like 1

The brazillian experiment has failed. ;look at sheffiled one to eleven british passports.

Jesus's head must roll. We need action from the board...... tonight.

Wesley subbed for the first time by smith that tells you everything.

No more Mr nice guy from smith....he needs to throw Jesus under the bus by refusing to play the  garbage signings forced upon him. Or else he will be binned himself.

That "nice" little deal with pep to give luiz game time? f*ck him make him train with the under 9's. make sure he doesn't get that permit next year. He plays like he doesnt give a toss. Wesley the worse brazillian since dianne abbots clearing in the woods was waxed.

They want to be on cocacobanna beach doing keepy uppy with the drag queens not in a hail storm in sheffield

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Too much at stake to risk this going on for long - I agree , review things on New Year’s Day 

Yeah.

Spending 140 mill in one summer and getting relegated would be an absolute disaster for the football club.

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I would say 7 points would be enough for us to carry on as we are. Then see what happens in the window.

I'm not averse to replacing Smith if things don't improve though. No idea who we would bring in though.

Â