Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Then I am confusing things....because I agree on that point or the 6 pointers.

But maybe you underestimate "fight" and maybe I over estimate it.

was it Gary Player who once said " The harder I work, the luckier I get".....fight does not eliminate it entirely, but it raises the odds of you being lucky.

Look everyone has their opinion about " fight" and the levels of it....its clear we differ.....but just as 1 example amongst many, when you lose so many second balls, not just against Leicester, I question the levels of fight amongst other things of course.

Well that game will be interesting for me.....but I can tell you like us that we were a tad unlucky against the scouse....I don't think they have lost away so far, might be wrong, but that would do for me if it was Villa.

I think the actual quote was " the more i practice, the luckier i get "

Tis one of my favourite quotes, because it is so true that hard work and dedication gets results and luck has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I'm amazed how quickly everyone has forgotten that we recently took a point off Man Utd at Old Trafford - and came close to beating them.

The only thing that matters is the season defining games coming up.

We are only goal difference away from being in the bottom 3. We're in a real dogfight and the players need to start acting like it.

After watching Everton beating Chelsea i realized what we are lacking. Teams simply want it more than us. Chelsea and Leicester both outfought us. We are losing 50/50 battles and second balls. There is not enough fight in the team.

The Everton players fought like their life was at stake for every ball, in every duel. As @TRO has mentioned, we lack aggressiveness. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We are only goal difference away from being in the bottom 3. We're in a real dogfight and the players need to start acting like it.

After watching Everton beating Chelsea i realized what we are lacking. Teams simply want it more than us. Chelsea and Leicester both outfought us. We are losing 50/50 battles and second balls. There is not enough fight in the team.

The Everton players fought like their life was at stake for every ball, in every duel. As @TRO has mentioned, we lack aggressiveness. 

They knew they had to go back into big Dunc so in fairness it probably was!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Some are saying we are performing as expected. But in reality we have a under performing Ming's, McGinn and a striker who seems to have no idea. If we could get these guys performing, maybe then I will agree, this is as good as it gets.

They are talking about the bigger picture, play-off winner that had to rebuild the squad entirely with young players. In some aspects if you compare to Fulham last season, we are performing above some expectations.

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I'm amazed how quickly everyone has forgotten that we recently took a point off Man Utd at Old Trafford - and came close to beating them.

Ole Gunnar Solskaer's 5th place Man united (about 11th-12th when we faced them?), they've had a couple of good games since then, but they're a shadow of the side they were when we were last in the PL. It's not like we took a point at the Nou Camp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Ole Gunnar Solskaer's 5th place Man united (about 11th-12th when we faced them?), they've had a couple of good games since then, but they're a shadow of the side they were when we were last in the PL. It's not like we took a point at the Nou Camp. 

They've beaten Leicester, Man City, and Spurs and drawn with Liverpool at Old Trafford this season. So not a bad achievement.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting it merited a trophy parade through Birmingham, just that some of the doom and gloom in this thread seems a bit forgetful.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Ferguson won't get that out of them every week. It's typical new manager bounce + they kind of had to react really didn't they. Give me a frighteningly and insanely detailed / tactical coach like Bielsa over a shouter and a roarer any day of the week. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Ferguson won't get that out of them every week. It's typical new manager bounce + they kind of had to react really didn't they. Give me a frighteningly and insanely detailed / tactical coach like Bielsa over a shouter and a roarer any day of the week. 

so you don't think Biesla instils aggression in to the Leeds team?.....if so, you need to think again.

Ron Saunders wasn't a shouter or bawler....you don't have to be....but discipline and a certain approach to aggression, is what's needed......amongst many other things of course.

Edited by TRO

It always fascinates me when folk resort back to money spent on players when justifying performances.....and explaining levels of mitigation, or why we can't do certain things

I have never been SO convinced about it as much as some are.....I understand the economics and understand the need to spend/invest....but I am more focused on the right players as opposed to just expensive signings....some times you have to spend big, but not always....look at Leicester sell Maguire and Bring in Soyuncu.....with a possible £ 60 million equitable advantage.

There have been lots of examples of players going on to great things and costing very little in transfer fee's i.e Cantona, Kompany and even our own Dwight Yorke and John McGinn

It is also interesting how we spent 130-14 mill in the summer and yet Leicesters team that we humbled to on Sunday cost £200 mill to assemble.

Its the recruitment that is the crucial element in all this.....and I am still unconvinced by it, but we keep an open mind.....We are too much hit and miss and possibly more miss than hit.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

so you don't think Biesla instils aggression in tot he Leeds team.....if so, you need to think again.

Ron Saunders wasn't a shouter or bawler....you don't have to be....but discipline and a certain approach to aggression, is whats needed......amongst many other things too.

Sure he does, doubt the poster was suggesting he wasn't.

But Bielsa is first and foremost a meticulous tactician to the level of obsession.

He explains to the smallest minute detail to his players what they should do and when in any given situation. And if they don't do it, then he shouts.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

It always fascinates me when folk resort back to money spent on players when justifying performances.....and explaining levels of mitigation, or why we can't do certain things

I have never been SO convinced about it as much as some are.....I understand the economics and understand the need to spend/invest....but I am more focused on the right players as opposed to just expensive signings....some times you have to spend big, but not always....look at Leicester sell Maguire and Bring in Soyuncu.....with a possible £ 60 million equitable advantage.

There have been lots of examples of players going on to great things and costing very little in transfer fee's i.e Cantona, Kompany and even our own Dwight Yorke and John McGinn

It is also interesting how we spent 130-14 mill in the summer and yet Leicesters team that we humbled to on Sunday cost £170 mill to assemble.

Its the recruitment that is the crucial element in all this.....and I am still unconvinced by it, but we keep an open mind.....We are too much hit and miss and possibly more miss than hit.

Time is also a factor. We spent about 6 weeks assembling this squad.

Leicester has had years.

On 11/12/2019 at 03:25, baldivisvilla said:

I think the actual quote was " the more i practice, the luckier i get "

Tis one of my favourite quotes, because it is so true that hard work and dedication gets results and luck has nothing to do with it.

yeah....could be, but much the same thing.

e.g Vardy chases what could be considered by some, as lost causes, he never stops running and thinking and looking for opportunities and weaknesses in his opponents.....that first goal against us, some players would have fallen over the ball, his ball control, and composure,done the trick for him.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Leicester has had years.

some of their players haven't been there long or their manager.

They lost Maguire-Kante-Drinkwater & Mahrez.

try replacing that lot.

your claims are not unreasonable.....I have doubts about this time thing, but we'll see.

I remember Andy Gray arriving as a 19 year old, from Scotland.....sure football has changed......but he was like a whirlwind in his first few games and continued like it......There was plenty of reasons that could have been used had he not been and instant success.....different football up there, he's only young, give him a chance etc etc.

We have to be a bit careful, we don't fall in to the trap of jam tomorrow on every set back.....equally, I get it ,we can't jump on everyone's back either.

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Leicester has had years.

so does that explain Elmo's comical challenge on Jonny Evans for a headed duel......or does it explain, the poor attempt to cut out Robertson's late header against Liverpool.

Some stuff is acceptable, things take time......but, equally ,some of the other stuff, is excuses.

• Confused 3

Speaking of time.

It wasn't long ago that all our previous manager needed was more time , a full pre-season, bring in his own players, more time again, another pre-season, couldn't be judged before...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Speaking of time.

It wasn't long ago that all our previous manager needed was more time , a full pre-season, bring in his own players, more time again, another pre-season, couldn't be judged before...

What I am saying is......Time is a legitimate element to ask for in the case of some things.....other things its not.

as an example.....time should not be claimed for a player, who refuses or is incapable of an aerial challenge.......how is time meant to fix that.....unless of course a bit of practicing is required and you are likely to see that on matchday as an element of improvement.

I have watched for some time now and generally cringe when I see them challenge for a high ball out side the 2 centre backs.

Â