Dean Smith

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, useless said:

We'd have no chance whatsoever of getting either Benitez or Ancelotti. Benitez was allowed to take twenty of his own members of staff with him to China, and has recently said that he hasn't just gone there for a short-term project, it would also take mega money to buy him out of his contract, he was on £6m at Newcastle and received a pay-rise at his new club, so you'd be talking around £20m in compensation at least. Even if he was open to coming back to Europe I'm not sure if he'd consider us.

Money is money plus a return to the Premier. What would one of these top mamagers be loosing if they came to us, nothing at all, they give it a season and if relegated they go onto the next club.

I honestly think if the price is right then we could vet anyone of them as they just want to be paid.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Konsa is young and apart from last game looked good, Hause was ok.  Nakamba has looked great in parts (lost other times).  Engels was great as a partnership with Ming’s.  Trez has been good.

Maybe (I don't agree) ...but who can Smith rely on to put in a good performance next week? - not many.....you can't look good in parts at this level.

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Money is money plus a return to the Premier. What would one of these top mamagers be loosing if they came to us, nothing at all, they give it a season and if relegated they go onto the next club.

I honestly think if the price is right then we could vet anyone of them as they just want to be paid.

Rewind - Theiry Henry was in the frame for the villa job - I doubt Smith will go - If he does we ain't looking at Benitez or Ancelloti  

Benitez is already getting paid mega money in China, to get him not only would we have to pay up his contract, but also put him on massive wages as he's not going to leave them to join us on less money. Besides as I say he's recently said that he's serious about making an impact at Dalian Yifang and has taken twenty members of staff with him, he's not going to leave them after a few months, if someone like Arsenal were to make a move then maybe he'd be tempted, but not us.

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

Rewind - Theiry Henry was in the frame for the villa job - I doubt Smith will go - If he does we ain't looking at Benitez or Ancelloti  

That was back in the championship when expectations were lower, im almost certain if Smith gets fired then we have no choice but to bring in a top dog. Someone whos been here and done it who can fully well help us establish properly, that has to be the game if we survive this season.

I'm confident the Owners will appoint one of the best out there, if they are serious about this club they will.

Edited by Dave-R

I'm concerned.

Starting Lansbury? I heard his name mentioned by the commentators on 15 minutes in. I don't remember him touching the ball before then. A complete passenger and a poor call from Dean.

But perhaps more disturbing was our inability to string 2 passes together. Deans style is meant to be attacking football - but hoofing it to Wes seems to be what we are doing more and more.

He needs to get confidence back - and he can start doing that by putting Grealish back in midfield.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

Comments like that do him no favours .

Was he supposed to say, " well he is shit and has been for 16 games to be fair. I'm aware that a large section of the fanbase think he is shite, and so do I, but we've got no one else, that's why I brought Kodjia on".

He has never spoken bad about any individual player even when they have been turd, so why would you expect him to say anything different?

We've actually got three of our wins this season with Grealish on the left-wing, it's since moving there that he's started to get more assists and goals and has been getting a lot of praise and calls for him to get an England call-up. Moving him back to midfield would just as likely make us worse. I think a big part of our problem is the constant swapping and changing of the starting eleven, our squad just isn't good enough to do that, need to pick eleven players and give them a run of games.

• Like 4

I remember a watershed moment for me, when El Ghazi and Mings had an altercation on the pitch.......I remember thinking Smith will have their arses, putting the team at Risk like that.

I was horrified, when I heard Dean Smiths after match remarks when he said "it was nothing, it was sorted by the time I got in the dressing room"......did he drag his feet?

No Dean you should have been the first one in that dressing room and chastised both of them.....It was the perfect moment to let them see your disciplinarian side and the rest of team too.....some may think its nothing, but it sets standards.

sorry Dean I think you missed a trick and it might come back and haunt you......I fear its all looking a bit crestfallen and inevitable.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

No, Big, enormous teams like Everton are apparently.

Edited by TRO

57 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I mean, who really seen this coming? 

It’s been on the cards for a while, Despite playing well in spells we have lacked consistency and failed to see out games.

Earlier in the season a few were worried about the amount of shots we were conceding but it was waved away as we got the odd result, now it seems it wasn’t sustainable and we are suffering for it. Nothing has changed from our earlier games and this is my biggest concern as we appear to be getting worse. We lack any kind of Will to win and aggression which is one of the reasons (imo) we have failed to get anything out of the big teams like others around us have. They want it more! 

I can’t see Smith turning things around in the next few games as he’s failed to do so far this season. If we are still in trouble in January, then it’s time to say thanks Dean but we need someone better to keep us in the division. 

16 minutes ago, useless said:

We've actually got three of our wins this season with Grealish on the left-wing, it's since moving there that he's started to get more assists and goals and has been getting a lot of praise and calls for him to get an England call-up. Moving him back to midfield would just as likely make us worse. I think a big part of our problem is the constant swapping and changing of the starting eleven, our squad just isn't good enough to do that, need to pick eleven players and give them a run of games.

i think the chopping and changing is Dean trying  to find a winning formula, the problem as I see it is ,he won't, because too many are the same.

Its like the old cricket saying goes......"you change the bowler, but you don't change the bowling".....its the same for us.

I wouldn't know what our best team is.....because they all have too many individual flaws/faults.

When you are doing ok generally, but something is not i.e ball winning......if its not addressed and put right eventually other stuff starts to slip, when eventually like now, you end up in deep trouble......I think that's where we are.....the passing is going now.

too many things not put right from game to game and its now getting worse.

Edited by TRO

Massive overreacting again, as expected. We're going through a rough patch alright.. we'll be fine though. Smith knows what he's doing, and will get it right given more time.

We do have have severe problems with the squad... no denying that. Some of them are just not good enough footballers for this level, and we don't have a striker. 

• Like 1

I dont see any viable managerial options out there.

I think if Smith were to get the boot the board would give it to JT. For the rest of the season.

JT is well liked by the players and his strong character will always get respect.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Massive overreacting again, as expected. We're going through a rough patch alright.. we'll be fine though. Smith knows what he's doing, and will get it right given more time.

We do have have severe problems with the squad... no denying that. Some of them are just not good enough footballers for this level, and we don't have a striker. 

It’s mid December and we are above the relegation zone on goal difference only. I don’t see how it’s an overreaction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm convinced that sinking feeling is exclusive to Villa fans, and who would have thought it was lying in wait, ready to pounce after such a good performance at Old Trafford. I mean, who really seen this coming? 

Me.

Check back over all my posts....I have been reporting these shortfalls in the individual players for weeks, if not months.....much to some posters irritation.

nothing has been done.....I watch all the home games, they can't win a ball in the air, just to pick out one of many....it smacks of puny, it sends messages to the opposition, they are there for the taking physically.....We don't win second balls in many games either.

At some point Sheepy, something has to give......and gradually the good bits of our game is deteriorating.

Its like hole in the ship, don't fix it and the ship will eventually sink.

it really isn't rocket science..

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

I remember a watershed moment for me, when El Ghazi and Mings had an altercation on the pitch.......I remember thinking Smith will have their arses, putting the team at Risk like that.

I was horrified, when I heard Dean Smiths after match remarks when he said "it was nothing, it was sorted by the time I got in the dressing room"......did he drag his feet?

No Dean you should have been the first one in that dressing room and chastised both of them.....It was the perfect moment to let them see your disciplinarian side and the rest of team too.....some may think its nothing, but it sets standards.

sorry Dean I think you missed a trick and it might come back and haunt you......I fear its all looking a bit crestfallen and inevitable.

I so many times have felt some Fergie moments were needed with this squad. If soft love isn't getting through to them then tough love is the only way. He has to lay into them because each and everyone of them is playing like there futures do not matter. Each and everyone of them are playing like they are spoilt and that Aston Villa should be grateful for bringing them here. It should be each and everyone of these new players who are grateful for the chance in which they have been given to play football at its very highest level. Because of our squad we sit in the bottom four, because of them its looking like we have a squad of rejects who shouldnt be playing premier football, they need to act like premier league players and put put performances worthy of premier league players.

I'm mad with them, with the opportunities they have been given and with the opportunities they squander, they behave like entitled kids.

Smith needs to rip these players a new one, get inside of there heads and make them feel they are doing wrong and it's only them who can set it right by there performances.

Sheffield United played like they have wanted premier league football all there life. Each and every Sheffield United player wanted the ball, wanted to make us look like we were nothing and wanted to play to there hearts content and ahow the world that they were the best on the night. Each and every one of our players looked like they couldn't wait to get home and be off down the pub with there mates, instead of concentrating on what was in front of them.

Something is wrong and I feel recruitment and what Smith is trying to do is worlds apart, it must be because they are not doing what Smith is training them for on the pitch. 

Games need to be won and I was down with Smith for the foreseeable future but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and premier football is priority over keeping someone that is not working out. It may take someone very special to fill this job and make it stick and to get special you have to be prepared to pay for it. Our Owners are going to ha e to come out at some point and say to Smith it's time, you have X amount of games left, show us your stuff or it's time to replace you. It's a cut throat business top flight football is and we have to take the appropriate approach to succeed and bring in the best of the best in order to succeed.

We havnt the luxury of time on our side like sheffield United have with a well oiled promoted side. We've got a thrown together squad who i doubt can accomplish survival and its a mistake to do that with players who have hardly had any time together along with no experience in top flight or English football. I chose to lay my faith but sixteen games in and my faith is shaken big time now as with many others, I hope Smith and the players can bring some of it back, the games before Christmas will tell me if they can or not.

All I can say is goodluck Smith and CO and hope you can pull a miraclebefore XMAS off.

Edited by Dave-R

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

It’s mid December and we are above the relegation zone on goal difference only. I don’t see how it’s an overreaction. 

We've had a really tough schedule thus far, and we're still above the relegation zone. That in itself is an achievement, considering how bad we've been these last few weeks. I don't quite understand what ppl were expecting!? It was never going to be easy with a totally new squad full of unknowns. I'm sure Smith et.co. thought Wesley would be better. There's still time to find the right formula, even though we're a little bereft of alternatives at the moment... the squad is just too thin. Going forward Smith needs to come down on them hard, and choose the ones that are willing to show fight. We can't carry any passagers going into these crucial games. The Brazilians especially need to be left out. Think we need Davis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

We'd have no chance whatsoever of getting either Benitez or Ancelotti. Benitez was allowed to take twenty of his own members of staff with him to China, and has recently said that he hasn't just gone there for a short-term project, it would also take mega money to buy him out of his contract, he was on £6m at Newcastle and received a pay-rise at his new club, so you'd be talking around £20m in compensation at least. Even if he was open to coming back to Europe I'm not sure if he'd consider us.

Well, if our chairmen have the money they're supposed to have, they'll be able to make it happen.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Me.

Check back over all my posts....I have been reporting these shortfalls in the individual players for weeks, if not months.....much to some posters irritation.

nothing has been done.....I watch all the home games, they can't win a ball in the air, just to pick out one of many....it smacks of puny, it sends messages to the opposition, they are there for the taking physically.....We don't win second balls in many games either.

At some point Sheepy, something has to give......and gradually the good bits of our game is deteriorating.

Its like hole in the ship, don't fix it and the ship will eventually sink.

it really isn't rocket science..

You're correct TRO, but he can't make them better footballers in a week. He needs to address the lack of fight, first and foremost. Some of them are just to luxury-type individuals, only good when we're winning and dictating games... which we can't at the moment. For me Wesley is the biggest culprit, he's affecting how we approach the offensive play too much, and it isn't working. 

Â