Dean Smith

Demitri_C

43 minutes ago, Thug said:

£140m.. and we’re played off the park by a team that came up with us and spent.. how much?

The issue I think is we haven't spent that £140m well. The only VFM signing has been Engels. Heaton has done well but we paid a decent fee for an older keeper 

The rest look like moneyball punts - relative unknowns that we could double our money on - absolute failures. The scouting side needs a kick up the backside - yet again we have spunked money up the wall.

Deano's biggest job right now isn't to get the team winning, it's to get them giving their all because today their heads dropped. Last week, they showed a lack of discipline. Dean needs to sort out their mental toughtness/attitude and he needs his coaches to help him do that. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

The issue I think is we haven't spent that £140m well. The only VFM signing has been Engels. Heaton has done well but we paid a decent fee for an older keeper 

The rest look like moneyball punts - relative unknowns that we could double our money on - absolute failures. The scouting side needs a kick up the backside - yet again we have spunked money up the wall.

Well obviously Mings, El Ghazi were here last season but are decent. 

I think Gilbert is a great signing though

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Farlz said:

So after a tough run of games and some pretty poor performances we're still not in the bottom 3. Time for everyone to step up now over these next few games, absolutely vital. 

Yeah true which is good.

Next 3 games are season defining I think, we are 4 points now from 15th and Everton in 16th have a game in hand.

Honestly, I think the next 3 games will tell us if we are cut adrift with the other 3 teams in the relegation zone, and it will be a 4 club battle to avoid the bottom 3.

Hopefully we can do the business in the next 3 games, extra critical as they are against the 3 teams in the relegation zone.....

The next 3 games will likely break us or keep us close to the lower mid table battle.

Edited by MaVilla

29 minutes ago, Dale said:

Konsa is young and apart from last game looked good, Hause was ok.  Nakamba has looked great in parts (lost other times).  Engels was great as a partnership with Ming’s.  Trez has been good.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s clear he wants to get the sack so I won’t stand in his way. Im a big fan of his but if he doesn’t want to be here then so be it. 

How is it clear he wants the sack and not want to be here? 

• Like 2

I know the owners said they'd stick with Smith even if we got relegated, but as that possibility becomes more and more acute, will they change their minds, even after the contract extension? With Benitez and Ancelotti both out of jobs, they'd both make attractive replacements. 

I still support, Smith FWIW

Just now, maqroll said:

I know the owners said they'd stick with Smith even if we got relegated, but as that possibility becomes more and more acute, will they change their minds, even after the contract extension? With Benitez and Ancelotti both out of jobs, they'd both make attractive replacements. 

I still support, Smith FWIW

That's non sense. Leicester sacked ranieri after he won the league and in hindsight it was the correct decision.

It's win or bust for Smith these next 4 games.

I'm convinced that sinking feeling is exclusive to Villa fans, and who would have thought it was lying in wait, ready to pounce after such a good performance at Old Trafford. I mean, who really seen this coming? 

Edited by sheepyvillian

We'd have no chance whatsoever of getting either Benitez or Ancelotti. Benitez was allowed to take twenty of his own members of staff with him to China, and has recently said that he hasn't just gone there for a short-term project, it would also take mega money to buy him out of his contract, he was on £6m at Newcastle and received a pay-rise at his new club, so you'd be talking around £20m in compensation at least. Even if he was open to coming back to Europe I'm not sure if he'd consider us.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, Dale said:

If only a few others had the attitude of Gilbert, he has that honest work ethic about him. I think he's a certainty for our player of the season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

4 games is what I would give him.

Southampton, Norwich, Watford & Burnley. 9 points, less than that pull the plug and get a competent manager and backroom staff in.

It might sound brutal after last season, but there’s no room for sentiment these days. He’s beginning to look clueless on the sidelines and his selections are causing more problems than they are answers. His formation today left Grealish completely out of the game, one of the most in form players in the country secluded from play. He’ll be off in the Summer if we don’t sort ourselves out quickly.

I hate to be negative but we have seen what relegation can do to a football team.

I really didn't want to agree with this or come to terms we may have to but your right.

If it's not happening it's not happening and no matter the January signings we bring in is going to change what's going on or aid us to wins.

We are putting ourselves in a dangerous place of not only being relegated but losing some of our players we really are desperate to keep and build around.

I thought that I'd be content if it comes to us being relegated, I am not because it could set us back ten fold. I don't think Smith should be here for January if he can't get the games leading upto it won. If Smith and co can't win us the new few games against the bottom of the table and pull some good results out then I stand by the people who say we should find someone who can build from where we are now. I really was down with Smith but if he can't manage to get one over clubs in this league here and there then I'm afraid he's hit his limits. I thought he could take us to Europe, I was hoping he was, I was full of confidence in him and that's be shaken in earth shattering form.

We're going to need someone in who is special this time, someone who can do something with this lot. I really do hope our players realise today how screwed up they really looked and how much of a bunch of amateurs they played like. It's no joke anymore this is our club and it's time players, trainers, recruiters did there job and if they can not then it's time for the Owners to step in and cull them again and replace with better.

I still think we did things abit wrong, it was one thing to throw a squad together, it was another to wrap a bunch of players who'd never played premier football before around Grealish and expect it all to be fine. We knew there were going to be ups and down but at the moment there hasn't been many ups, survival as we see it is looking a tall order now. The only hopes I have of survival at the minute is if we buy some premier league players who have knowledge of this league who we can bed in quickly and they help pull off results. It's the only way I'm seeing I'm afraid, it's going to cost and we could be spending another 100+ million to secure prem players but itd be worrh it so long as the recruitment people do there god damn homework. I think if we go anywhere else for players but the league we are in we can kiss survival goodbye. We should of mixed it up abit and brought in at least 4-6 premier players in the summer, lets not make that mistake again and get it right this time.

Edited by Dave-R

Â