Dean Smith

Demitri_C

If Smith was to go partway through the season then I think people would have to get used to the idea of someone like Moyes or Allardyce coming, the board wouldn't take a risk on someone who whilst might come good in the long-run might need a while to get their methods across, and we wouldn't be able to attract a big name that could have both an immediate impact and improve the team over time. Best hope that we improve dramatically over Christmas, trouble is I have an horrible feeling that we're not going to do as well as many have been presuming.

I can understand the frustration but some perspective is needed. The last 8 games we’ve played the current top 7 and 5 of them were away from home. Even the homes games were against the top 2 and Newcastle (who we dominated).

As long as the confidence of the team hasn’t been knocked too much, Smith can turn this around quickly. It’s been a freakish run of fixtures. We should be judged on the next few games, which will define our season. I do think Smith should move Jack back centrally. The move hasn’t been bad for Jack as he can play anywhere but it’s affected McGinn adversely.

• Like 1

Would go all out for Benitez personally.

Seems to be enjoying it in China but I'd reckon he'd be tempted back as we have bigger budget than Newcastle and he could build us up over next 2-3 seasons which is what he wanted to do at Newcastle but didn't believe the owner wanted to do it.

I actually think he'd be Everton manager already if he hadn't such a connection to Liverpool.

Anyway I'm still far from wanting Dean sacked. He simply must starting getting results like we did after we had a slow start to the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I doubt we would get him, we’re not exactly Real Madrid 

Everton apparentlty sounded him out a week or two and it was quickly dismissed.

There was talk Man. City might look at Poch if Pep leaves end of the season. The Bayern Munich, PSG and Juve jobs could also be available in the summer so no chance he'd consider taking a mid season job at lower end.

49 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

One of the biggest issues i have is this. Purslow said in the summer that we were going away from the loan model and signing players outright. That's fine. Good plan actually. He also mentioned that we were going to be signing players who have good re-sale value in the future. Again, good thought process. But the primary and number one objective when signing any player is does he fit the philosophy and idea of how the manager wants to play the game. Wesley looks to of been a business signing, not a pure footballing one. Like someone mentioned previously you'd of never seen Smith sign a player like Wesley at Brentford. Again though they have a philosophy of how they want it played from top to bottom. I'd question our recruitment drive. I'd want to know more. If the stats guys who know nothing about football are telling us according to their data and analytics that X and Y will be worth whatever in 3 years time and we should sign him, that model worries me. Application. Work rate, talent, do they play the way we want them to. After all that's been asked, the rest can take care of itself.

Wesley is a project signing. Someone who showed potential in Belgium and has been signed to improve over time. Many clubs in the league do this. The problem here is we are starting him week in week out rather than ease him into things with twenty minutes off the bench. Last two months it has done him no favours being an automatic pick.

I wonder how it went in the summer. I reckon Maupay was Plan A but for whatever reasons we baulked at what Brentford wanted (even though it was less than what we paid for Wes). So we got plan B in, he looked o.k in pre season and somewhere along the line Plan A was dropped.

Also baffling we thought Kodj and Davis would be good enough back up. Somewhere along the line there was very muddled thinking over the striker department.

We need a relatively proven experienced striker in, another "project" would be a massive gamble.

6 minutes ago, Thug said:

£140m.. and we’re played off the park by a team that came up with us and spent.. how much?

Its funny. Sheffield United probably resemble 98/99 Villa more than any other premier league side. Manic work rate. No ego. No fear. Predominantly British. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thug said:

£140m.. and we’re played off the park by a team that came up with us and spent.. how much?

They spent £44.5mil

Ravel Morrison  - Free            
Lys Mousset  -  £10,000,000                
Phil Jagielka - Free                
Michael Verrips - Free                
Callum Robinson - £7,000,000                
Luke Freeman  - £4,000,000            
Oli McBurnie  - £20,000,000                    
Ben Osborne  - £3,500,000

Edited by Villan4Life

I honestly can't believe what I am reading...we honestly have an real arrogance about our club it's unreal!!!

We had to spend in the summer or a team would have been bottom of league and probably without a win....we had to invest in a backbone to the squad as we would have only had about 15 1st teamers contracted to the club which is by no means a healthy place to be.

It makes me laugh when you hear people say 'Give such and such a go' DS does this then same people slate him for it!!  In the last 2 weeks we have had people state:

Hourihane has to be in the team

Hourihane needs dropping 

Luiz came on and is a great player..must start next game

Luiz is shit...needs to be dropped

It truely is pathetic to see spoilt brattish princess behaviour form our own.

Let's see where we are in May ffs!!

Edited by New_Hope
  • Like 4

All I want is for him to change it up, give McGinn a rest, drop Wes, rotate the squad where needed and make some positive minded substitutions before the 80th sodding minute. He is digging himself a hole when its he doesnt have to. Seems he is quite a frustratingly stubborn chap at times.

20 minutes ago, Elton said:

I can understand the frustration but some perspective is needed. The last 8 games we’ve played the current top 7 and 5 of them were away from home. Even the homes games were against the top 2 and Newcastle (who we dominated).

As long as the confidence of the team hasn’t been knocked too much, Smith can turn this around quickly. It’s been a freakish run of fixtures. We should be judged on the next few games, which will define our season. I do think Smith should move Jack back centrally. The move hasn’t been bad for Jack as he can play anywhere but it’s affected McGinn adversely.

This sillyness needs to stop. This clutching at straws stuff. " The winnable run of games coming up " Today was suppose to be the start of this run. The home games were also against Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham. Won none of them. What's it gonna be next week " everyone needs to relax, we have a poor record against Southampton at VP when they wear their red and white stripes and score against us between the 23rd and 52nd minute " Jesus wept. You've the next game. That's it. No runs. Nothing. You turn up and perform or get beaten.

• Like 1

Almodt feels like some are blaming the disgruntled fans for the crap displays and poor excuses lol. We arent asking for the world, we dont expect to be top half even, we just expect something a little bit better than what's currently being given. 

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

This sillyness needs to stop. This clutching at straws stuff. " The winnable run of games coming up " Today was suppose to be the start of this run. The home games were also against Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham. Won none of them. What's it gonna be next week " everyone needs to relax, we have a poor record against Southampton at VP when they wear their red and white stripes and score against us between the 23rd and 52nd minute " Jesus wept. You've the next game. That's it. No runs. Nothing. You turn up and perform or get beaten.

Just my opinion, I’m not asking you or anyone to agree. I’m sure the bookies had us clear favourites to win those 7 games. I’m not pleased with our recent form but I’m not at meltdown stage or calling for a managers head that got us promoted against the odds, whilst we still sit outside the relegation zone...

Â