Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We don't look like a team that's going down.

Right now Norwich do, as do Southampton I think you'd have to say despite their spirited effort akin to ours on the weekend.

Neither of those sides are integrating the number of new players we are either, nor will they have the financial clout and stature we'll have in the winter transfer window (should we be required to spend).

So hopefully we're just seeking out one other side to be better than this season.......that said, it's tight and another 2 bad results and we could be close to propping up the table.

Still don't see how we played superb against Liverpool. I really don't.

We fought hard and defended for our lives. I give us credit for that.

But look at Wolves against Arsenal. This is a good performance:

image.png.356e49971a3a9f20333289a652709d97.png

This is just holding on and hoping Liverpool will continue to be wasteful with their chances.

image.png.c7f9d337db43984631566c2539cc8842.png

Edited by villalad21

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why are you comparing Liverpool and Arsenal as if they are remotely similar teams. They finished 28 points behind Liverpool.

Here's the stats of us vs the arse, in case you fancied comparing like with like. Not so far off now are we, but that doesn't suit your narrative.

Arsenal  

Aston Villa

Possession %

Shots on target

Shots

Touches

Passes

Tackles

Clearances

Corners

Offsides

Yellow cards

Red cards

Fouls conceded

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Here's the stats of us vs the arse, in case you fancied comparing like with like. Not so far off now are we, but that doesn't suit your narrative.

Against a 10 man Arsenal...

I'm just confused what we judge as a good performance.

If working hard and giving 100 % is the definition of a good performance that i will politely disagree. Working hard is the minimum expected.

Liverpool dominated every single stat. Arsenal were all over us in that second half.

Just now, villalad21 said:

If working hard and giving 100 % is the definition of a good performance that i will politely disagree. Working hard is the minimum expected.

Liverpool dominated every single stat. Arsenal were all over us in that second half.

I don't understand why you are so negative about absolutely everything, that's all.

We are a newly promoted side, we nearly went bankrupt 18 months ago, we were in the championship for 3 seasons.

What the hell do you expect when you keep saying we were poor against last seasons top 5. Well, duh, we are obviously going to be.

All of those teams have way more talent available to them, and have been consolidating their positions for years.

A good performance against them is not losing 6 - 0.

Seriously, what are you expecting in our first season back?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mister_a said:

I don't understand why you are so negative about absolutely everything, that's all.

We are a newly promoted side, we nearly went bankrupt 18 months ago, we were in the championship for 3 seasons.

What the hell do you expect when you keep saying we were poor against last seasons top 5. Well, duh, we are obviously going to be.

All of those teams have way more talent available to them, and have been consolidating their positions for years.

A good performance against them is not losing 6 - 0.

Seriously, what are you expecting in our first season back?

I didn't say it was a poor performance.

I thought we did ok. Liverpool were extremely wasteful and sometimes you ride your luck. On a normal day at the office they would score 4-5 goals.

Just disagree what we judge as a good performance. That is all.

Best performance of the season i still think is that second half against Bournemouth. We were all over them.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I didn't say it was a poor performance.

I thought we did ok. Liverpool were extremely wasteful and sometimes you ride your luck. On a normal day at the office they would score 4-5 goals.

Just disagree what we judge as a good performance. That is all.

Best performance of the season i still think is that second half against Bournemouth. We were all over them.

So, we did well against Liverpool, who normally would have scored 4-5 goals?

Do you ever stick to a position or do you just make it up as you go?

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

For most of us it's what we see with our eyes.

For others it's a column on a spreadsheet...........but hey, that's the modern football 'fan' for you.

• Like 3

Interesting watch here

Speaks about his management and changing the culture at the club.

Slightly worrying he admits when a player gets big enough he wont stand in their way and wants them to become as big as they can be even though it will mean it harms him (us/Villa).

But we're in great hands. So pleasing to finally have a manager who knows what he's doing and what he wants.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Interesting watch here

Slightly worrying he admits when a player gets big enough he wont stand in their way and wants them to become as big as they can be even though it will mean it harms him (us/Villa).

But we're in great hands. So pleasing to finally have a manager who knows what he's doing and what he wants.

Great watch,love Thomas Frank but miss Dean Smith 

He's doing a great job considering his style of play is severely hamstrung by the limitations of our center forward. I'm convinced that was more of a Suso signing than his, but he sanctioned it so he has to live and die by that i guess. 

I just hope we can stay above the relegation zone until January (particularly pick up points in those big games around xmas), get a top striker in and then i'm convinced we'll really see what a Dean Smith team is capable of. I honestly think he will become one of the very best managers in this league and turn us into a top 6 club in the process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Interesting watch here

Don’t really see what other attitude he could take. First, it means he is aiming for a player to improve as far as possible while with Villa - which benefits the team. And secondly, if a player gets to a stage where they want to move on to what they see as better opportunities, it is counterproductive to try to hold them back.

I find his approach encouraging.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This is just holding on and hoping Liverpool will continue to be wasteful with their chances.

image.png.c7f9d337db43984631566c2539cc8842.png

Arsenal concede around 20 shots per game. You're going to need a better barometer than them.

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Don’t really see what other attitude he could take. First, it means he is aiming for a player to improve as far as possible while with Villa - which benefits the team. And secondly, if a player gets to a stage where they want to move on to what they see as better opportunities, it is counterproductive to try to hold them back.

I find his approach encouraging.

Completely agree.  My job is currently paying for my graduate degree.  I will owe them an extra year of service and then im free to shop my skills elsewhere.  What Dean is describing is just how life and employment in a capitalist economy works.  He sounds like an awesome manager.  I see why the players are so willing to run through walls for him.  He genuinely seems like he only wants best for his players and coaches.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Interesting watch here

To be fair he said that when he was managing lower league?, the premise was probably to develop and sell players for profit to keep the club sustainable.

I doubt he holds the same view at villa, however I habe no doubt he would sell players for a profit to continue developing villa, just look at Leicester, sold maguire, mahrez, Kante, drinkwater all for huge sums, but how that money was reinvested was super impressive tbh.

I'm sure if we stay up we will still end up selling our star assets, the most important thing is that the money is reinvested well to grow the team.

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair he said that when he was managing lower league?, the premise was probably to develop and sell players for profit to keep the club sustainable.

I doubt he holds the same view at villa,

He references the decision to join Villa in that segment.

Can only assume he means if Barcelona come calling, as Man U and Spurs now a sideways move ;)

35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Arsenal concede around 20 shots per game. You're going to need a better barometer than them.

Point is. I don't view it as a good performance when we get battered in every single stat.

Even though we lost we still were highly fortunate to not have lost the game by much more.

But i do agree we fought well and gave it our all.

But we can't keep conceding 20+ shots every game, it concerning.

Edited by villalad21

Â