Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Wesley is not a target man and even if he is who is he flicking it on to. Aimless long balls all over the pitch today which meant we just gave them the ball. Needs to be addressed and quick.

Completely agree with this, the amount of times we lofted the ball forward is just stupid and then when he did get it there was nobody close to play to.  Even seen him coming to the right side of the pitch at the half way line to get involved.  He's far from the player we need but we arent making his life easy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

We are starting to look like a poorly coached team.

Turgid, unable to find passes, no movement, rushed, panic stations on the ball, no options for anybody, no out balls for defenders.

I think its ok given the circumstances of the match. This one and Palace were the worst. Still we managed to grow into games and almost got back.

First half we surrendered. We were mentality losing before beginning. It could have been 2-3 easily.

Slightly concerned with the fact that we still don’t look like we know what we are doing. We honestly look like we do not train all week. Any one of the teams we play in this league can embarrass us too easily. Not convinced at all now after 12 games. 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We are starting to look like a poorly coached team.

Turgid, unable to find passes, no movement, rushed, panic stations on the ball, no options for anybody, no out balls for defenders.

Not sure I agree with this, we got to the 86th minute against Liverpool, we were unlucky due to VAR against Palace and Arsenal.  We played well against City.  This was a really poor game and I agree with what you have said for this game but not for the season.  We have to remember we were equivalent to the 3rd place team to come up, a new team, a young team and everybody including the manager is new to this league.  We are still learning so I think you analysis for the season is wrong but this game was correct.

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pretty worried, I'm hardly confident that we will stay up. It's concerning how bad we are at keeping the ball and actually creating anything, movement is very poor and the execution is pass is very poor throughout the side.

I can't see us getting another point until after xmas

Midfield was completely unbalanced without Jack.  For most of the 1st half Nakamba was more advanced then Douglas and that was never gonna work.  Maybe playing Hourihane over Douglas could have fixed that but that's no sure thing either. Our lack of depth is very obvious and worrying.  I hate to say this but we need another 20 million easy this next window.  We are 2 injuries in our starting 11 to being non-competitive in most matches.  

• Like 1

There is definitely something seriously wrong with how we've been playing, that makes it really easy for other teams to set up against us. 

The manner in which we've fallen to defeat has become all to familliar. Its ridiculously easy for our opponents to restrict our play and get the ball back, and it looks like this remains true even when we play different players or change the formations. There is something wrong with how these players have been coached to play.

I look back at that Norwich game, and I find that game particularly insightful as to how we play and how dominant we were. Norwich did not even try to restrict how we played the game, instead their entire strategy was basically trying to outscore us. Were it not for Tyrone Mings and our superior quality up front, we could've easily lost that game. But when teams play rigidly  against us we seem hopeless and seem to rely too much on a moment of magic from someone like Grealish, Mcginn or our wingers. 

At the very least, I think opposition teams know how to set up against us and unless Smith does something about it, we might be in for a world of hurt for some time. Because whatever he's doing now is clearly not working. Its just upsetting to see us lose in a similar manner again and again as if nothing has been learned from the previous games.

They need to do something about our ball retention. We just constantly give the ball away and often when not really under too much pressure. 

Very bad decision making, ignoring easy passes for unnecessary difficult balls.  Turning into trouble instead of an easy lay off running straight into opponents. 

We did it most of last season as well but had the quality to steamroller teams anyway, but we don't have that this season so the constantly losing possession is killing us. 

OK being without Jack and Engels and Targett is a loss for anyone but especially the first half we looked like a league 2 team playing Barcelona. Missing a couple of players shouldn't mean our performance drops off a cliff face. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's not ridiculous.

Take a watch at our fixture list.

It really is ridiculous. Yeah we've got some tough fixtures coming up and it's going to be a long season but there are some massive overreactions here right now.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree with this, we got to the 86th minute against Liverpool, we were unlucky due to VAR against Palace and Arsenal.  We played well against City.  This was a really poor game and I agree with what you have said for this game but not for the season.  We have to remember we were equivalent to the 3rd place team to come up, a new team, a young team and everybody including the manager is new to this league.  We are still learning so I think you analysis for the season is wrong but this game was correct.

Liverpool were battering us throughout that entire second half and most of the game. It was eerily similar to how our Spurs game went down, we were subject to relentless pressure from their end and honestly, I think we were quite lucky to hold on to the match until there. We lost 3-0 against City, I don't really see how that can be considered a game where we played well. Palace we were shite the entire game, we definitely should've gotten an equalizer but it did not reflect how good we were at that game and ask anyone who watched that game and they'd agree that we were absolutely outplayed in that match. I don't remember the VAR decision that **** us at Arsenal but considering we still lost despite playing against 10 men for more than half the match against a mediocre Arsenal side, we really couldn't have played that well.

What went wrong, really?

Heaton and Grealish arnt in team, We lose Steer and Target, have Taylor on, Mings took a good knock.

Our first half I think we gave them to much respect, to much ball time and the goal I can't argue we deserved to be a goal down. Second half I'd say we were the team who were on the charge, they had spells but we should of capitalized on our chances.

Bad luck went from Bad luck to complete utter Horse S*** luck.

We were not at full strength and we really gave it our all, couldn't of asked more really. Someone needed to step up and be the man for the day and the only one who did that or came remotely close was Trezeguet and even he had a bad game. 

Some people in the wolves thread were saying Smith has alot to answer for, I don't think he does.  We do need other game plans I think for when things go from Bad to worse. However when a game like this pops up there isn't much you can do apart from keep on plodding on. You cant blame the performances of our players on Smith, nobody makes them play that way in themselves, that's down to a player to shine.

Wolves had better quality, it's no joke that, they spent decent on there players so they should of ran the show. Again were at the same but of talk where were saying our players who cost 8-22 mill pretty much held the wolves off. Wolves I don't think would of been anything without Jota, Jiminez, Neves, Adama, those four players do the business for wolves and we need to build an attacking force like them. The way those four operate, they cause so much problems and could easy drool over them added to our keeper, back line, Grealish and Mcginn.

Not one of our players had a good day, if our whole squad had of had a good day we may of ended up on top of today's result, it's a shame it is but again when bad luck strikes before a game starts it's tough for it not to affect the game before it's begun.

I'm not to fussed about this defeat, I do however say it's a must we win Newcastle, we need a game now to get some points on top of the three clubs below us.

Also, another thing. Our propensity to concede goals in the final minutes of the match strikes again. Its definitely an issue since even the commentators mentioned it, we've conceded the amount of goals in the final minutes of a game more than any other team in the league. The good news is we also seem to be good at scoring late goals though

Â