Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Im all for the twelve months ago bs comments but we spent more money than Real Madrid in the window before last. Forget the two games against City and Liverscum. 

Ah yes we spent more in one window than Real Madrid and their billion pound squad, while we were trying to replenish ours after the loss of world football juggernauts Glenn Whelan and Albert Adomah. You didn't really think this one through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having been this afternoon and thought we were very good, I’ve just rewatched the whole game, and all I can say is the critical comments are even more baffling to me now than they were an hour ago.

Deano did a great job today, we were in a real scrap and we kept our defensive shape, our desire, our energy levels, we created chances, especially second half, and we got 100% from every player.

More convinced than ever we will Win more than our fair share of games against sides in the mini League of 12.

Ps - saw virtually no sign of “sitting back” nor of hoofball. Nor of any sub standard “ game management”.

Id take an identical performance every game, and wed end up with a very good season.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Having been this afternoon and thought we were very good, I’ve just rewatched the whole game, and all I can say is the critical comments are even more baffling to me now than they were an hour ago.

Deano did a great job today, we were in a real scrap and we kept our defensive shape, our desire, our energy levels, we created chances, especially second half, and we got 100% from every player.

More convinced than ever we will Win more than our fair share of games against sides in the mini League of 12.

Ps - saw virtually no sign of “sitting back” nor of hoofball. Nor of any sub standard “ game management”.

Id take an identical performance every game, and wed end up with a very good season.

Where can you rewatch it? 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

He's not beyond criticism - but still has plenty of credit left in the bank for me.

He has put together a good squad playing good football with good team spirit, good defensive structures, and good attacking intent.

Id criticise him if he failed to get decent performances out of that squad, and I’ll probably criticise him if we fail to get 40 points with that squad, because I think it’s good enough, and it’s coached well enough.

Im not going to criticise him after 11 games back in the Top League, with a completely rejigged team, and where we’ve got good results against the bottom ( and relevant) half of the Table, made the 1/4 finals of the Cup, and had leads against Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool.

We have ( especially this season) lots of fans, so there’s always going to be the old chestnuts of “ which sub and when”, and the unmet expectations of those who see every defeat as a failure, every goal Conceeded as a Sin, but for the vast majority I am sure his Credit is still rising. 

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I'll bet they couldnt wait to show Liverpool winning.

Bitter me? Well yes actually.

I understand the point but actually the commentators were very effusive throughout in their praise for us.

More so than some of our own fans in fact !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Just 7 months ago we were sat 14th in the Championship and today we were 7 minutes away from beating the best side in Europe with our best player out injured. 

It is remarkable the job Smith has done especially when you consider the turnover in players over the summer and the fact he has had to integrate so many new players. The starting line up today contained 8 players not here last season. To have them playing to a system all working their bollocks off for each other in such a short space of time is some going.

Still plenty of work to do of course, and I'd still take 17th in the league this season if offered it now, but given how far Smith has taken us in a year I am optimistic about where he can take us over the next few years.

Excellent post. 

9.9/10. WB

I think after 10 games if someone said would you take 15th having played liverpool man city and arsenal...most if not all would take it.

Smith has to credit for putting together a team that works hard and gives 100% for each other.

I like what he is doing and hopefully come the end of the season we have done well and still in the league. I believe there are 3 worse teams than us.

However, I also believe he sort some minor errors but a fundamental if we want to gain more points. I've watched a lot a lot of games this year and see the same things week in week out.

8-9 of our players in the box...only 4-5 opposition..yet still score...today a perfect example 9 inc goalie 4 liverpool with 2 on the edge.

This is a perfect example why we struggle to keep the ball. Who is going to win it or keep it if it comes out. We invite teams on with ease and if honest even one up we all knew what would happen.

Now someone said we didnt hoof ball today..yet stats show 26% possession...now yes I expect liverpool to have more of the ball they are European champions but when you look at 52% pass completion now that is no where near good enough.

Yes we tried and battled but we need to work smarter not harder if we want to do well.

Hopefully smith can see this we wont see goals been given away like today 

19 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I understand the point but actually the commentators were very effusive throughout in their praise for us.

More so than some of our own fans in fact !

Some Liverpool fans in the pub was saying the same thing. Lot of teams play City and Liverpool and lose before kick off

We gave both a game even if lost both

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

The absolute state of some of the posts in here. He's the best manager we've had since I can remember and as a newly promoted side, we're really pissed off that we didn't get anything out of a game against the champions of Europe and top 2 side in the country. Doesn't that tell you something?

Absolutely.  Some on here want to have a word with themselves or just bore off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Ah yes we spent more in one window than Real Madrid and their billion pound squad, while we were trying to replenish ours after the loss of world football juggernauts Glenn Whelan and Albert Adomah. You didn't really think this one through.

You obviously have difficulty reading things. I didn’t mention this window I mentioned the window in which we did spend more. The point? It’s irrelevant mentioning that the same way it’s irrelevant mentioning where we were 12 months ago etc as it’s done . We are a premiership club now so fans are entitled to criticise the manager if the opposition score with a header From a corner which would have hit a defender sat on the post.

Some fans prefer defending for 73% of the time others see value in trying to keep the ball better.  Some of us have been season ticket holders since 87-88 and have seen many false dawns but a common theme is we did well but just lacked that extra quality. 

Â