Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yet Sheffield United and Norwich have both managed to get points out of the top 6. Even Newcastle.

Even Southampton and Watford have gained points out of them. Watford drew with Arsenal, Soton drew with Man Utd.

You seem like a nice guy but this constant negativity is crazy mate. Surely you can see lots of positives this season. 

I’m delighted with our start to the season.

• Like 1

This thing of calling anyone who has something slightly negative to say a troll is getting kind of disturbing to read, it's like a bunch of scientologists who won't hear a bad word said against L. Ron Hubbard. Yes things overall are going well, but there are also things that need improving, I'm sure Smith himself would like us to concede less shots at goal, and to play better in games, he'll also be disappointed at all the late goals we've been conceding, and won't be just dismissing it as something that happens against the top teams, he'll feel that there are things we can do to prevent if from happening. The ironic thing is I think some of these posts sticking up for Smith are more negative in their way than those that are critical of him.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You seem like a nice guy but this constant negativity is crazy mate. Surely you can see lots of positives this season. 

I’m delighted with our start to the season.

You criticize because you want things to improve.

When we fail to do the basics like defending a set piece or not tracking our man then there is a glaring issue that needs to be addressed.

What i've seen so far from fans is there seem to be a fear of being critical of the team. Everyone is massively positive, all the time, every day of the week.

If it's the fear that you don't think our players can handle criticism then they don't belong in this club in the first place.

I've already said that the effort we put in on Saturday was pleasing. It's good to see they are bleeding for the shirt. Something we haven't seen from a Villa team in a long time. But there were still things in that game i was not happy with and the season overall.

I want things to improve. I won't accept mediocrity. I don't like the fact that we are the team that concede the most shots by any club in the league. Look at Sheffield United as an example. They just beat Burnley 3-0 with Burnley having 0 shots on target. Quite frankly that is something i can never see us achieve.

I understand we're a new team but conceding 20+ shots per game should worry everyone.

There are plenty of things to be positive about but there are also plenty of things to be critical about.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

When we fail to do the basics like defending a set piece or not tracking our man then there is a glaring issue that needs to be addressed.

What i've seen so far from fans is there seem to be a fear of being critical of the team. Everyone is massively positive, all the time, every day of the week.

If it's the fear that you don't think our players can handle criticism then they don't belong in this club in the first place.

I've already said that the effort we put in on Saturday was pleasing. It's good to see they are bleeding for the shirt. Something we haven't seen from a Villa team in a long time. But there were still things in that game i was not happy with and the season overall.

I want things to improve. I won't accept mediocrity. I don't like the fact that we are the team that concede the most shots by any club in the league. Look at Sheffield United as an example. They just beat Burnley 3-0 with Burnley having 0 shots on target. Quite frankly that is something i can never see us achieve.

I understand we're a new team but conceding 20+ shots per game should worry everyone.

There are plenty of things to be positive about but there are also plenty of things to be critical about.

I agree but critical all day every day?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I believe these bunch of players are mentally weak. When players come at them they lack bottle and hides in their shell. They get scared, stops playing and resort to hoofball.

I don't think it is mentality issue it is a fitness issue and a tactics issue. First and foremost is mcginn. Once we get to 70 minutes mcginn should be off the pitch. At this point he can't run and it leads to the opponent easily keeping possession in our 3rd as he can't close opponents down. We also lose a lot of movement from our full backs at this point and certainly helps in keeping us pinned back. 

2nd you are right we are playing hoofball but that happens half the time with us even when we aren't on the back foot and that is unacceptable. The way I see it we have a couple of options. First we need to utilise the full width of the pitch. Our wingers should be on the bylines when we win the ball in our third so that if they get caught with the ball it will end up out for a throw in 9/10 times. This will give us a breather and let us get back into shape. On top of that it will let us break quickly if the wingers aren't tackled and will force the opposition back. I also think wes needs to drop deeper between the midfield and the centre half's and drift out wide this will mean if someone picks him up they are out of position allowing an easier counter for us. If not he is in free space and we can more easily keep the ball rather than just hoofing it which only succeeds at getting one of their centre halves to collect the ball and play it back to a midfielder.

Having seen every minute of every game this season this is how ive seen things being as fair as I can:

Spurs 3-1 Villa

Good showing first half, full of newly-promoted optimism and bounce. Getting an early goal and to be leading at HT was better than we could have expected. However Tottenham dominated for long periods and deserved to win. We looked like a championship side holding on for long periods in that second half and eventually their superiority shone through. Encouraging, but a chance to win as they had key players missing and their form this season proves they could have been beaten.

Villa 1-2 Bournemouth

First home game, full house, loads of optimism quickly deflated with 2 errors leading to a 2-0 deficit. We then grew into the game and gave a good account of ourselves; unlucky not to grab a point but were still giving up a fair few opportunities.

Villa 2-0 Everton

Fantastic evening, first points back in the PL, electric atmosphere which the players fed off and was a major factor in helping the side into the game. Everton were probably the better side in fairness though, had most of the ball and created a lot of chances just couldnt finish all night. Things very much went our way that night, Andre Gomes with possibly the most Sunday league performance ever given by a player that good.

Palace 1-0 Villa

Awful performance, worst all season id say. They fully deserved the win as we created the square root of nothing. Of course the decision at the  end was truly shocking but we still wouldnt have deserved it.

Villa 0-0 West Ham

Dull encounter, and a missed opportunity. This was our last clean sheet in the league which is a concern. Created little all night and had the chance to capitalise on having the extra man but ultimately West Ham were still slighlty the better side I thought even with 10 men. Fair result in the end.

Arsenal 3-2 Villa

This was when I first thought we looked very good. First half we were attacking at will and looked as dangerous as we had all season. Took a deserved lead into the break and again was given a man advantage. As soon as we went 2-1 up we inexplicably shit the bed and invited them to come and beat us, which they duly did. Naieve performance for 30 mins absolutely cost us. Bad decision not to get a penalty at the end but we had to look at ourselves for even getting into a losing position.

Villa 2-2 Burnley

Absolutely dominated first half. Showed a good mentality and determination to go and score a goal straight after being denied by VAR. Second half they make changes and the dynamic of the game shifts as we procede to lose the equaliser, regain a late lead only to instantly lose equaliser again. At this point we're finding our baptism back into the league very frustrating. Not picking up points we should have but thats the Premier League.

Norwich 1-5 Villa

This became a lot easier than we imagined. Very end to end in the opening exchanges but we scored the goals and ended up picking them off. A fellow promoted side who were under strength is not much of a barometer but a much needed win and confidence gained nonetheless

Villa 2-1 Brighton

Riding the crest of the previous game we all expected the win but started awfully. Brighton had us worked out and Potter's tactics nullified us to the point we couldnt get out our own half. 1-0 down and things looking bleak we finally used a man advantage to getourselves back in the game. It took a Grealish masterclass and a last minute winner to seal the deal but we again showed good determination ala Burnley to score straight after the disappointment of being on the wrong side of a disallowed VAR goal. We still conceded plenty of chances which again was a worry but back to back wins were achieved.

Man City 3-0 Villa

Fantastic first half defensively, but mistakes ultimately cost us in a game we had to be almost perfect. Accepted defeat as fully expected, City are light years away from us and we were never getting close to taking anything.

Villa 1-2 Liverpool

Spirited performance, pleasing to see on top of an atmosphere to rival the Everton one. Lapses at the death cost us again, there is a pattern. Hard to criticise on the whole after what went before. This side had lost 1 game in 2 season aswell as reaching back to back CL finals. Never likely we'd get something, but we nearly did.

SUMMARY AFTER 11 GAMES

This new side we have is full of potential. We've seen glimpses of how we want to play, an identity. Plenty of naievity aswell, lost a lot of points from winning positions but at least we're showing enterprise and enthusiasm to get infront in plenty of games in the first place. We do seem very easy to play through. As some have said we have given up more chances to opposition than anyone else and we always talk so highly of our defenders as they always seem to be getting a last ditch block or tackle in or clearing off the line. The more they play together hopefully things will tighten up a bit. Im happy with our start but it does seem we have passed up a lot of good opportunities already. Crucial period coming up now. I fully expect we'll be in the relegation mix up, but a good January window will see us safe with the addition of a forward and winger. The way ive seen things through untinted eyes, we've played 11 games and have looked the better side in 3 (Bournemouth, Burnley, Norwich).

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Having seen every minute of every game this season this is how ive seen things being as fair as I can:

Spurs 3-1 Villa

Good showing first half, full of newly-promoted optimism and bounce. Getting an early goal and to be leading at HT was better than we could have expected. However Tottenham dominated for long periods and deserved to win. We looked like a championship side holding on for long periods in that second half and eventually their superiority shone through. Encouraging, but a chance to win as they had key players missing and their form this season proves they could have been beaten.

Villa 1-2 Bournemouth

First home game, full house, loads of optimism quickly deflated with 2 errors leading to a 2-0 deficit. We then grew into the game and gave a good account of ourselves; unlucky not to grab a point but were still giving up a fair few opportunities.

Villa 2-0 Everton

Fantastic evening, first points back in the PL, electric atmosphere which the players fed off and was a major factor in helping the side into the game. Everton were probably the better side in fairness though, had most of the ball and created a lot of chances just couldnt finish all night. Things very much went our way that night, Andre Gomes with possibly the most Sunday league performance ever given by a player that good.

Palace 1-0 Villa

Awful performance, worst all season id say. They fully deserved the win as we created the square root of nothing. Of course the decision at the  end was truly shocking but we still wouldnt have deserved it.

Villa 0-0 West Ham

Dull encounter, and a missed opportunity. This was our last clean sheet in the league which is a concern. Created little all night and had the chance to capitalise on having the extra man but ultimately West Ham were still slighlty the better side I thought even with 10 men. Fair result in the end.

Arsenal 3-2 Villa

This was when I first thought we looked very good. First half we were attacking at will and looked as dangerous as we had all season. Took a deserved lead into the break and again was given a man advantage. As soon as we went 2-1 up we inexplicably shit the bed and invited them to come and beat us, which they duly did. Naieve performance for 30 mins absolutely cost us. Bad decision not to get a penalty at the end but we had to look at ourselves for even getting into a losing position.

Villa 2-2 Burnley

Absolutely dominated first half. Showed a good mentality and determination to go and score a goal straight after being denied by VAR. Second half they make changes and the dynamic of the game shifts as we procede to lose the equaliser, regain a late lead only to instantly lose equaliser again. At this point we're finding our baptism back into the league very frustrating. Not picking up points we should have but thats the Premier League.

Norwich 1-5 Villa

This became a lot easier than we imagined. Very end to end in the opening exchanges but we scored the goals and ended up picking them off. A fellow promoted side who were under strength is not much of a barometer but a much needed win and confidence gained nonetheless

Villa 2-1 Brighton

Riding the crest of the previous game we all expected the win but started awfully. Brighton had us worked out and Potter's tactics nullified us to the point we couldnt get out our own half. 1-0 down and things looking bleak we finally used a man advantage to getourselves back in the game. It took a Grealish masterclass and a last minute winner to seal the deal but we again showed good determination ala Burnley to score straight after the disappointment of being on the wrong side of a disallowed VAR goal. We still conceded plenty of chances which again was a worry but back to back wins were achieved.

Man City 3-0 Villa

Fantastic first half defensively, but mistakes ultimately cost us in a game we had to be almost perfect. Accepted defeat as fully expected, City are light years away from us and we were never getting close to taking anything.

Villa 1-2 Liverpool

Spirited performance, pleasing to see on top of an atmosphere to rival the Everton one. Lapses at the death cost us again, there is a pattern. Hard to criticise on the whole after what went before. This side had lost 1 game in 2 season aswell as reaching back to back CL finals. Never likely we'd get something, but we nearly did.

SUMMARY AFTER 11 GAMES

This new side we have is full of potential. We've seen glimpses of how we want to play, an identity. Plenty of naievity aswell, lost a lot of points from winning positions but at least we're showing enterprise and enthusiasm to get infront in plenty of games in the first place. We do seem very easy to play through. As some have said we have given up more chances to opposition than anyone else and we always talk so highly of our defenders as they always seem to be getting a last ditch block or tackle in or clearing off the line. The more they play together hopefully things will tighten up a bit. Im happy with our start but it does seem we have passed up a lot of good opportunities already. Crucial period coming up now. I fully expect we'll be in the relegation mix up, but a good January window will see us safe with the addition of a forward and winger. The way ive seen things through untinted eyes, we've played 11 games and have looked the better side in 3 (Bournemouth, Burnley, Norwich).

Agree with most of this. Disagree with relegation mix. Think we will be clear in a good position come March, signings or not. As I see it we are steadily improving and I expect this to continue. For me much of our problems are down to us trying to press high up the pitch but not doing it very well. Meaning our midfield ends up being too easy to play though, thus more sights of our goal.  This is a team cohesion issue that will improve with practise and experience.

The pressing and winning the ball back will be key to this teams style of play. As it is with Liverpool and city. 

Edited by Philosopher

No one is criticising Smith, talking about something that might be perceived as a negative isn't a criticism. Just because things are going well overall doesn't mean to say 1 can't be concerned with matches or aspects of matches in isolation, and people should be allowed to express those concerns without being vilified.

16 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What i've seen so far from fans is there seem to be a fear of being critical of the team. Everyone is massively positive, all the time, every day of the week

Not fear surely, just deep appreciation for the moment the club is in. The worries of today pale in comparison to the worries of the last decade, and you see that reflected in the positivity of the posting. 

We're all dreaming of a Sir Deano coronation following a decade of trophies, but even that team will be riddled with mistakes that need criticising. Then one day it'll all be over and we'll be back sitting in a relegation battle with geriatric Steve Bruce at the helm playing a 35 year old Grealish at left back, and you'll be wondering why you didn't enjoy the renaissance more at the time!

Edited by IrishVillain

22 hours ago, useless said:

This thing of calling anyone who has something slightly negative to say a troll is getting kind of disturbing to read, it's like a bunch of scientologists who won't hear a bad word said against L. Ron Hubbard. Yes things overall are going well, but there are also things that need improving, I'm sure Smith himself would like us to concede less shots at goal, and to play better in games, he'll also be disappointed at all the late goals we've been conceding, and won't be just dismissing it as something that happens against the top teams, he'll feel that there are things we can do to prevent if from happening. The ironic thing is I think some of these posts sticking up for Smith are more negative in their way than those that are critical of him.

So you have a problem with Ron now? 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Spurs 3-1 Villa

Villa 1-2 Bournemouth

Villa 2-0 Everton

Palace 1-0 Villa

Villa 0-0 West Ham

Arsenal 3-2 Villa

Villa 2-2 Burnley

Norwich 1-5 Villa

Villa 2-1 Brighton

Man City 3-0 Villa

Villa 1-2 Liverpool

Just shortened this a bit, but methinks it's not too bad. I have no problems with us losing against spurs as a I thought they were so much better than us it was totally expected. The underlined matches we could probably have gotten more, whether it's due to our own collapse, refereeing or just poor finishing. But it's easy to see we have a lot of potential here. Obviously Arsenal and Liverpool were two shitty results since we did really well, but personally I think Palace were the one where I felt completely robbed. 

Either way, we are just a few good results from an incredibly good start, and with a bit more luck we would have been there.

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

"Anything other than a thrashing against City or Liverpool is a success"

*Narrowly lose 2-1 in stoppage time after an excellent performance*

"We can't keep dropping points from winning positions like this!"

Both can be true though. 

It is a success that we didn't get thrashed by Liverpool, but we also can't keep dropping points from winning positions like that. 

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 07:18, villalad21 said:

When another collapse takes place and other points are lost in March, will it still be "The learning curve"?

The glossing over of elementary mistakes that NO team new or old, veteran or inexperienced should be making is shocking.

People are overjoyed at a gutsy performance in defeat, while Norwich actually beat Man City and good old cabbage beat Spurs as an example.

You see the pattern here? Other teams capitalize on the big teams having off days whereas we are bottlejobs and time and time again fail to do the basics at crucial parts of the game.

But we didn't collapse....that is too strong a word Imo.....we were fatigued, sure.

your reference to errors is valid imo.....but that is different.We have to work on it.

Its not an isolated reaction to a gutsy performance, its just a reference to the positives from a team that has just had 11 games in the top flight and is improving.However, i think it is foolish not to identify, some of our shortfalls in fear of being ungrateful for the progress to date.

I accept you view towards the errors, I am with you.....but the manager has a job to try and curtail the trend of 44% of goals against in the last 10 minutes.....He has to find a way to end that.

Personally, I think some teams like Sheff Utd are ahead of us in some aspects of the game, but in other aspects, we are the better than them.

I would urge all our fans to be positive, its what is required......but equally there is still much work to do and that needs to be appreciated.

On 06/11/2019 at 10:05, useless said:

I think you make a significant point.

surely, we are all adult enough to be pleased with the progress so far, without being in fear of mentioning the short falls.

This is a forum....to do this.

The ground is the place for unadulterated praise and partisan support and no one can accuse us of negativety in the stadium.

I am with you.....we ALL want to improve and increase our points tally.

Isn't it a POSITIVE to respectfully point out areas where experienced fans can suggest improvements.....whether they are right or wrong.

I guess the majority of us will determine that in all our views.

On 06/11/2019 at 10:13, villalad21 said:

I think that is one of you best posts.....fair and balanced imv.

you make some valid points worthy of consideration.

• Like 1

Â