Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I agree with that, in the context of the whole season the result wasn't the end of the world, before the game I would have taken that and other results going our way which thankfully they pretty much did. But I think it's fine for people to discuss where we went wrong and what we can do to improve, that's exactly what Smith and his team will have been doing before focusing on the Wolves game.

Edited by useless

38 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

There's two separate things here: the disappointment and the criticism. We're all disappointed when we're beating Liverpool on 85 mins and come away with no points. Nobody's telling you you're not allowed to feel disappointed.

What I think is misguided is the way this turns into personal criticism of the manager and players, their abilities, their attitudes... calling for people to be sacked / dropped, several new signings in January, and so on.

It feels like the players would have been better off going 2-0 down in the first half and then pulling back a consolation in the second. Yet it's exactly the same result.

Early in the season we supposedly had a problem playing against 10 men, then we spanked Brighton. Now the new problem is giving away late winners against Big 6 clubs. No doubt we'll beat one of them at some point this season after scoring early.

Funnily enough, being positive about Dean Smith's Villa isn't an effort for me. I'm not "trying so hard". Maybe just better at putting things in perspective. I don't know.

• When we failed to drive home the advantage of facing 10 men, its was a legitimate claim, no harm in that.
  • We spanked Brighton?.....we came from behind where we conceded in a similar position to Liverpool in the air....and proceeded to turn the game around ( great) and scored in injury time, you call that spanked?.....would you think Brighton fans was inquest free after the game....not on your nelly.
  • Its not a new problem....its been with us all season.....we are just identifying area's to improve on.
  • I think identifying shortfalls is being positive, we are all looking to eliminate them.....It has no bearing on how grateful we are for the season so far, 2 entirely different subjects in my eyes.

Do you think Dean Smith attempts to address some of the things (we so called critics mention )at Bodymoor Heath (and perhaps more that we haven't spotted).......and the players all shout "oh thanks you ungrateful so and so"......"look where we was this time last season"...."we can't do enough for you"...........and Dean responds "oh ok as you were"......sorry for speaking.

1 minute ago, TRO said:
  • I think identifying shortfalls is being positive, we are all looking to eliminate them.....It has no bearing on how grateful we are for the season so far, 2 entirely different subjects in my eyes.

Do you think Dean Smith attempts to address some of the things (we so called critics mention )at Bodymoor Heath (and perhaps more that we haven't spotted).......and the players all shout "oh thanks you ungrateful so and so"......"look where we was this time last season"...."we can't do enough for you"...........and Dean responds "oh ok as you were"......sorry for speaking.

The problem is so many of the "shortfalls" are overly specific scenarios that have very little useful meaning from a coaching perspective, and are triggering kneejerk reactions from fans. What I think Dean Smith focuses on is the mental, technical and tactical stuff that improves players game on game, and that's why he gets good results from them.

When I hear people say stuff like "we need to learn how to play against 10 men" I wonder what they think DS should be doing in the week? Running 11 v 10 training sessions every day until the players work out what to do?

People are also totally misrepresenting what the "positive" voices on here are actually saying. A lot of us were very anti Steve Bruce. I'm not bothered by people saying negative things, but more by the fact that a lot of it is just moronic and repetitive.

I come here to read interesting opinions on the team, not stuff like "FFS WEZLEY IZ SIHT". I can find all of that on Twitter and Facebook. I'm not being a snowflake, I just want to read actual insightful stuff about the team. In fairness, most posters (you included) are great at explaining why they have an opinion, and even when I disagree I respect that, but there are a few who seem to enjoy being cartoonishly angry about a player having one or two mediocre games.

34 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The problem is so many of the "shortfalls" are overly specific scenarios that have very little useful meaning from a coaching perspective, and are triggering kneejerk reactions from fans. What I think Dean Smith focuses on is the mental, technical and tactical stuff that improves players game on game, and that's why he gets good results from them.

When I hear people say stuff like "we need to learn how to play against 10 men" I wonder what they think DS should be doing in the week? Running 11 v 10 training sessions every day until the players work out what to do?

People are also totally misrepresenting what the "positive" voices on here are actually saying. A lot of us were very anti Steve Bruce. I'm not bothered by people saying negative things, but more by the fact that a lot of it is just moronic and repetitive.

I come here to read interesting opinions on the team, not stuff like "FFS WEZLEY IZ SIHT". I can find all of that on Twitter and Facebook. I'm not being a snowflake, I just want to read actual insightful stuff about the team. In fairness, most posters (you included) are great at explaining why they have an opinion, and even when I disagree I respect that, but there are a few who seem to enjoy being cartoonishly angry about a player having one or two mediocre games.

Your last paragraph will never go away, I understand your frustration and agree with you FWIW.....We all have varying levels of intelligence and subsequently tolerance and that manifests itself in what we say or do, not just on here, life in general.

I agree with your sentiment of dealing with generalisations and yes, Dean and the coaching lads could not just deal with that, but they have to deal with the components that lead up to struggling with 10 men.....10 men usually up their workrate to compensate, that's what we have to compete with and overcome and use our extra man to good use, not just a rest post.

I have no idea, what Dean works On....I just trust him.....but then while I prefer him.....I was not anti Bruce either FWIW.

Overall, I really enjoy Deans offerings and I don't think its by chance we have a full house every game at home.....Everone knows we are incrementally improving.

back to the specifics.....I saw the face of John Terry at the End of Saturdays game and I would be amazed if that expression didn't turn in to inner thoughts and those same thoughts were aired at BMH on Monday morning.

Those 87 minutes will not go unnoticed by the coaching staff,I was proud of them......but I would bet my house that a fair bit of time would have been focussed on the last 8.

Those last 8 Minutes will be the ones that made John Terry one of the best centre Backs in our Country....those last 8 minutes is what will turn Dean Smith in to great Manager, as opposed to Good Manager.....Those same minutes will turn our Great club in to a great team....when we fix it.

We will get there, I have no doubt.....but if we just nonchantly accept it and not strive for perfection, we never will......This club has seen the last 10-15 years of complacency and accept defeat too easily as a group....I think those days are over and that was in evidence when we all stayed behind to appalud the team.....but them players knew the 8 minutes has to be sorted to fulfil all our dreams ....them and us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Not sure there is much he could have done today. When you have to bring Neil Taylor on, it just emphasises the complete lack of quality beneath the first eleven. It’s the infrastructure around him that need to address that. 

We have to accept that we are not going to win away against decent teams with this injury crisis. The players that make up the rest of the squad are just not good enough 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa

4 out of 10 for first half. 6/10 for second half. Not good.

Obviously not helped by the injuries before and then during the game but we were below acceptable in the first half. At least we have a manager that won’t hide from the issues.

I thought we were better in the second half, so whatever Smith said at half time, it helped. Trying to find a positive here!

Edited by brommy

This one is on Smith.

Played straight into their hands.

Probably the best counter attacking team in the league but hey let's bomb forward with our fullbacks and leave Nakamba and the Centre backs alone to do all the defending on their own!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This one is on Smith.

Probably the best counter attacking team in the league but hey let's bomb forward with our fullbacks and leave Nakamba and the Centre backs alone to do all the defending on their own!

Have to agree, good managers will adopt the game to suit the opponents and we could have played a game to stifle their game and try and nick a goal, sometimes just trying to win every game is nieve.

I very rarely criticise Smith but he got that so wrong today. Literally everybody knows the way to play Wolves is keep it tight, sit back and counter, a bit like we done against Liverpool. Having ourselves so wide open and allowing them to do what they're good at and counter with pace was quite frankly shambolic. 

2nd half was slightly better but still the scoreline flattered us today. Not good at all. 

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This one is on Smith.

If his instructions were for our wingers not to track them I agree it’s on him. I just can’t believe he would have asked them to do that.

edit: guaranteed had he set us up to defend and we lost everyone would be complaining he was too negative 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pretty worried, I'm hardly confident that we will stay up. It's concerning how bad we are at keeping the ball and actually creating anything, movement is very poor and the execution is pass is very poor throughout the side.

Like some of our players, he arguably might not be good enough at this level.

Something still annoys me, putting Taylor instead of Hause. Other than that I guess it wasn’t our day, we weren’t lucky at all. Two keepers out+our best player+a defender and our full back who improved the team since coming.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

We are starting to look like a poorly coached team.

Turgid, unable to find passes, no movement, rushed, panic stations on the ball, no options for anybody, no out balls for defenders.

Spot on. We look so uncomfortable on the ball and very one paced. 

Â