Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Wouldn't really point too many fingers at his tactics although Grealish is doing too much work deep and needs to be further up the pitch more often. Again, not against starting Grealish on the left in a free role and putting Luiz in Grealish's place with Marvelous holding.  

I'm also dismayed at Taylor continuing to start, he is such a limiting factor going forward and was abysmal at the back today. This has to change. 

But overall this squad is limited in quality in attacking areas. Clearly given our structure that's not all on Smith. He's doing IMO a decent job so far this season but it could be that a tactical change needs to happen at some point soon...

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

For me, he's earned the right to manager us next season barring an absolute disaster during this one. After saying that, I am a little frustrated with the talk of having an attacking approach that isn't going to change and then seeing us playing on the counter attack in every game bar Bournemouth so far this season. The fact that we are wedded to a 4-3-3 even though our best players don't suit that formation is also irritating. I've seen us trying and hang on to draws for way too many of my years supporting Villa, I'll be very disappointed if that's how we end up playing this season as well.

Personally I think the left side is a real problem along with the wide right role. If we don't address these issues quickly we are going to get dragged into trouble. We lack too much forward penetration to create effective space for the midfield to drive into and for CF movement. Everything of quality is far to central and congested to allow us to stretch and hurt teams. Looking at the options I don't know what the answer is. IMO at the moment, after 5 games Freddie is the only wide player in the team who should be a banker to start. The rest have been average at best. Centrally we look very capable throughout the team but our flanks are dreadful. 

• Like 3

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Personally I think the left side is a real problem along with the wide right role. If we don't address these issues quickly we are going to get dragged into trouble. We lack too much forward penetration to create effective space for the midfield to drive into and for CF movement. Everything of quality is far to central and congested to allow us to stretch and hurt teams. Looking at the options I don't know what the answer is. IMO at the moment, after 5 games Freddie is the only wide player in the team who should be a banker to start. The rest have been average at best. Centrally we look very capable throughout the team but our flanks are dreadful. 

Smith not doing himself any favours by persisting with Taylor.

Time to ditch the midfield three not working.

Our wide options are woeful and Wesley can't play up top on his own.

Give Grealish and McGinn license to roam forward with Nakamba and Luiz as a solid base.

Drop Taylor on his face and go with Targett and Guilbert for the width instead.

We actually have the strength in depth to play this way also.

lineup (2).png

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

We'd be better off going more direct more quicker. We just don't have the players right now to play cute passes or create chances in the quantity required.

Not even quality, not enough players willing to take a chance, it is all sideways and in front and too easy.

Mowbray continued with this at West Brom when it was clear it wasn't working. Lambert also. 

When we get a higher calibre of wide players then fair enough but until january we need to get points on the board.

• Like 1

I fear It’s going to be grim reading for the whole season.  It seems easy to forget we’re a team that finished 5th in the championship and needed a massive rebuild. 

I think there’s concerns in terms of goals but we’ve generally held our own in every game.   We also should be on 5 points. 

Maybe it’s time I had a break.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

It feels like we've just abandoned our possession game. What's happened to us playing out from the back and the lovely football of last season? We look completely void of any ideas right now.

Something needs to change but I don't know what, when Elmo and Davis are subbed on to try and change the game that's a worry. 

We've replaced a 26 goal forward with someone who looks a mile away from being as smart in the penalty box.

Our left back has proven to be not quite up to scratch but, hopefully, he will come good.

McGinn and Grealish need to adjust to the PL quickly as we really need them. 

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

It feels like we've just abandoned our possession game. What's happened to us playing out from the back and the lovely football of last season? We look completely void of any ideas right now.

Something needs to change but I don't know what, when Elmo and Davis are subbed on to try and change the game that's a worry. 

Yes, that last paragraph is a worry! 

Jack and McGinn especially, they looked dead on their feet by the time they were down to 10. If our centre mids can be gassed, and Lanabury and Hourihane can't even get any time at home to 10 man West ham, when are they ever going to get any minutes? It was crying out for more energy and creativity in the middle of the park. 

This was a "winnable" game, but not a "must win". I'd still like to see how we get on vs. Newcastle, Sheffield Utd, Brighton, Norwich, Watford, etc. before piling in, because this West Ham team may end up fighting for a Europa League place.

The big positive is that defensively we looked solid. We don't look like a team who will roll over for anyone.

And based on the personnel available to him, I still think Dean Smith mostly makes the right calls tactically. We have a very young, naive, inexperienced front 6, and f***ing around with the formation isn't going to fix that.

My only quibble with DS tonight was that 11 v 10 against tired legs, that was surely the ideal scenario for Conor Hourihane?

• Like 3

Â