Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, screwdriver said:

I think smith has got it wrong so far this season. his decisions have left me totally baffled and display an unnerving tactical nativity beyond comprehension. We should have ten points by now.

1) the subs against spurs changed the game....for the worse. Jota did nada, apart from give it away cheap.....The solution to spurs bringing on erikson was to bring on lansbury to do a paul birch style man to man job. get right up his chuff plugged in balls deep.

2)the team that started against spurs should of started against bournmouth. luiz was fasttracked in (probably a nudge from pep) and promptly gifted bournmouth a goal. the solution was to start exactly the same team give luiz some game time at 60mins

3)smith was indecisive and waited too long to make the changes against everton. we were getting deeper and deeper. looked like a paul lambert half time team talk....certain players looked like the tanks were running on fume.  if he had reacted sooner we would have been more comfortable

e) bringing kenian davis on when down to ten men was suicide. pushing up the pitch was just what palace wanted so they could play their favorite counter attacking football. the goal came from a villa corner. Woy was wicking his wips when the subs were made. the solution was to bring on lansbury and shove grealish in the hole supporting the isolated wesley.

after big money has been spent in the summer top 10 is a minimum requirement. O'Neill would be getting pelters right about now with this start.

Heindsight is a wonderful thing isnt it.

point 1. spurs was the first game of the season. Jota had looked fantastic in preseason so bringing him on made total sense, the fact tottenham had one of the best cams in the prem to bring off the bench is out of smiths and the players hands.

Point 2. Everybody and there nan wanted luiz in and yes he made a mistake but so did half the team it was only highlighted because his cost a goal. 

Point 3. We beat everton 2 -0 how can you point out negatives and say he done anything wrong.

Point 4. The idea of bringing on another striker was to push the team higher up the pitch so we wasnt with our backs against the wall for the rest of the game and only the ref prevented us getting a point from that game. I think more than anything it was a poor performance from the players rather than anything smith did wrong tactically.

How you think we should be aiming at top 10 is beyond me, yes we spent alot of money but it was on a lot of players. 17th and above this season is a great season i dont think you grasp how big of a step up it is to premier league football

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, screwdriver said:

I think smith has got it wrong so far this season. his decisions have left me totally baffled and display an unnerving tactical nativity beyond comprehension. We should have ten points by now.

1) the subs against spurs changed the game....for the worse. Jota did nada, apart from give it away cheap.....The solution to spurs bringing on erikson was to bring on lansbury to do a paul birch style man to man job. get right up his chuff plugged in balls deep.

2)the team that started against spurs should of started against bournmouth. luiz was fasttracked in (probably a nudge from pep) and promptly gifted bournmouth a goal. the solution was to start exactly the same team give luiz some game time at 60mins

3)smith was indecisive and waited too long to make the changes against everton. we were getting deeper and deeper. looked like a paul lambert half time team talk....certain players looked like the tanks were running on fume.  if he had reacted sooner we would have been more comfortable

e) bringing kenian davis on when down to ten men was suicide. pushing up the pitch was just what palace wanted so they could play their favorite counter attacking football. the goal came from a villa corner. Woy was wicking his wips when the subs were made. the solution was to bring on lansbury and shove grealish in the hole supporting the isolated wesley.

after big money has been spent in the summer top 10 is a minimum requirement. O'Neill would be getting pelters right about now with this start.

We would have 6+ points if the refs were better I.e a pen at spurs that may have meant they gave up or gave us a larger cushion.

A red card for Bournemouth would have meant we could apply more pressure whilst creating larger gaps. We should have got a draw there. Maybe a win if they were on 10.

Against CP we should have drawn everyone knows it.

Everton we got fewer 50/50 decisions. 

• Haha 1

On 7 September 2019 at 11:11, screwdriver said:

e) bringing kenian davis on when down to ten men was suicide. pushing up the pitch was just what palace wanted so they could play their favorite counter attacking football.

That's not your, or anyone else's, honest held opinion, mate. "Screwdriver"? A thing that's good at "winding up". We get it.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2019 at 11:11, screwdriver said:

Yawn

• Like 1

as i was reading through, the 'confused' reaction was going to be the one i was going to use...when i got to the last line, 'haha' is the only one that's remotely appropriate, and even that doesnt do how ridiculous that statement is justice

edit: actually, i'm going to bite. 1) we were up against champions league finalists and put up a fight...what did you realistically expect? 2) actually agree but hindsight is a wonderful thing. but remember we were already 1-0 down from heaton's **** up before luiz gave it away. 3) we won 2-0 and i dont care how or what could have been done better. everton are a good team, they were always going to have chances e?!) we looked far better when davis came on. and grealish and lansbury combined to score an equaliser that should have counted

final point, i sincerely hope our owners' expectations of smith are lower than yours, cause smith wont last till xmas if top 10 is the target

Edited by tomav84

On 07/09/2019 at 12:11, screwdriver said:

Stop twisting things.

Apologies but just can’t agree with this.  

If it wasn’t so long, I thought you might be trolling us.  

Each to their own opinion but I’d be surprised if many people had this view.

Speaks sense as usual in the YouTube clip the club posted. We've yet to play well and he knows. His measured manner will be a positive throughout his time here.

Hopeful of some decent performances in the coming games, we really need something from West Ham. In all likelihood we'll probably be following it with a loss at Arsenal, and I don't like thought of going in to Burnley at home with 3 points from 6 games. Heavy pressure for early in the season.

Midfield needs to get on the ball and move it with authority. Our only spells of sustained possession have come when Bournemouth were sitting back on their 2-0 lead. We're too spread out everywhere and the wide men need to come in closer to Wes at times. It's too much of a flat front 3 unless Jota is there floating off his wing.

Taylor still an enormous issue for me, he's not allowing us to build anything down that side of the pitch. I'd be looking at every possible alternative including Guilbert moving over and Elmo back in at RB.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

We are playing very much like we did in the run in January/February. When we went on our winning run, we were more on the front foot. Pressing further forward, taking the game to the opposition. Not once this season have we dominated possession and play. Yes it’s a step up in quality, but this team isn’t built to sit back. The players we have are better on the front foot. If we are going to lose, let’s lose attacking rather than sitting back meekly. Against spurs, it was expected, everyone else it’s not.

Edited by mikeyp102

33 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

We are playing very much like we did in the run in January/February. When we went on our winning run, we were more on the front foot. Pressing further forward, taking the game to the opposition. Not once this season have we dominated possession and play. Yes it’s a step up in quality, but this team isn’t built to sit back. The players we have are better on the front foot. If we are going to lose, let’s lose attacking rather than sitting back meekly. Against spurs, it was expected, everyone else it’s not.

Bournemouth?

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Bournemouth?

Just checked and yes we did have more possession in that game, thought I’d read previously that the stats were more in their favour. Even so, the point stands that we need to be taking the game more to the opposition. Get players higher up the pitch closer to Wes

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just checked and yes we did have more possession in that game, thought I’d read previously that the stats were more in their favour. Even so, the point stands that we need to be taking the game more to the opposition. Get players higher up the pitch closer to Wes

We dominated Bournemouth from the 10th minute onward. Those are the types of games you'd want us to take the game to. But in the other games, Dean's been quite clever and flexible in that regard. Had it right for the first 60 or so minutes against Spurs. Against Everton, we didn't need to be on them all game and picked and chose our moments very effectively as we knew they were a bit toothless in attack. Away from home it can go either way, and 1 game against rivals so far isn't much of a sample size to go by so I'll reserve judgement there. I expect us to adopt the Everton approach on Monday.

• Like 1

Â