Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The Smith critics message day in and day out about how he can not achieve anything other than midtable. Which is fine, I respect their opinion even though it’s the same thing repeated over and over again.

Yet not one of you will accept my bet that if he remains in charge in the summer we will be challenging for top 2 next season. 

£10 to VT. Whos game? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

So you didn't watch the games where our style and attacking play was as good as anything I have seen in the last 10 years?

Is that not potential to you??

yeah great, we played well for 5 games out of 23, all of them at the beginning of his tenure where the "new manager bounce" is in full effect for nearly every club that changes manager anyway

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

So you didn't watch the games where our style and attacking play was as good as anything I have seen in the last 10 years?

Is that not potential to you??

Dean Smith is full of potential. Its if he can bring it to the pitch. 

Adam Johnson, Jack Rodwell and the Moore brothers had potential...

Just playing Devil's Advocate as we can't all heap praise on Dean Smith without questions until he gives enough of a reason to do it. That's why the fan base are so split on him, all want a successful Villa, different ways of expressing it.  

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The Smith critics message day in and day out about how he can not achieve anything other than midtable. Which is fine, I respect their opinion even though it’s the same thing repeated over and over again.

Yet not one of you will accept my bet that if he remains in charge in the summer we will be challenging for top 2 next season. 

£10 to VT. Whos game? 

Every day of the week, I would take this bet. Even on a % base it will hugely favour me. 

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The irony of how you've countered your own and other doubters point.

So bar the 5th finish which was an anomaly, where would you honestly have expected Brentford to finish while he was there?

Again, I love how certain rules only apply when they suit a narrative.

I haven't countered my own point at all. No i wouldn't expect brentford to be finishing much above 10th, I have never used this as any sort of argument at all.

There is also quite a difference in expectations between someone managing Hull, Wigan,Sunderland, Birmingham in the premier league with the huge amounts of money involved in simply surviving compared to someone managing a team with no real pressure or expectations in this league

I do not give a shit how well/badly he did at brentford. I would expect us to be finishing above 10th in this league though and his results here do not indicate that this is going to happen. We have not even averaged 1 point per game over the past 10 and have played some truly crap teams in this time

Edited by LakotaDakota

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

£10 to VT. Whos game? 

Even though I'm pro Smith and think he could do very well next season I'd take that bet, although I'd prefer it to go to charity rather than VT (no offence Limpz)

You'd have to define "challenging for Top 2" though. That's way too vague to bet on.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

£10 to VT. Whos game? 

define challenging?

I will quite happily have a £100 bet with you that if he is in charge for the full season we will not finish top 2

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Even though I'm pro Smith and think he could do very well next season I'd take that bet, although I'd prefer it to go to charity rather than VT (no offence Limpz)

You'd have to define "challenging for Top 2" though. That's way too vague to bet on.

Happy for £10 to go to a charity instead. 

Within 9 points of top 2 by 01/01/2020. I’d say that’s challenging. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok. Let’s say if Smith stays in charge for next season by 01/01/20 villa will be within 9 points of top 2? Loser pays £10 to VT.

deal?

9 points is quite a bit off challenging. Boro are currently 9 off the top and there's no way they've been considered to have been challenging for the title. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Happy for £10 to go to a charity instead. 

Within 9 points of top 2 by 01/01/2020. I’d say that’s challenging. 

I wouldn't. Not even close.
On the 1st Jan this year everyone down to 9th place were within 9 points of 2nd.

I'm out

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Birmingham City were 10 points of second place on 1st of January and they were in 8th. 9 points is a massive gap. 

Yeah sorry I said above that the teams down to 9th were within 9 points. It's actually 10 points.

Still, the point remains. 9 points off 2nd place in January is not challenging for the top 2. Not even close.

This season has been a weird season, all teams beating each other and no one standing out completely.

Next season, Stoke will likely to start coming good, plus one of WBA, Leeds or Sheffield United still here competing. The 3 relegated teams. Plus Villa now signing young players in the hope they come good, even though are own young players aren't good enough to step up. I think 9 points off at January is likely to happen with Smith in charge. 

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok. Let’s say if Smith stays in charge for next season by 01/01/20 villa will be within 9 points of top 2? Loser pays £10 to VT.

deal?

9 points?? That's not exactly challenging top2. 4 is mor ereasonable and logical to the term "challenging" 

50 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

This season has been a weird season, all teams beating each other and no one standing out completely.

Next season, Stoke will likely to start coming good, plus one of WBA, Leeds or Sheffield United still here competing. The 3 relegated teams. Plus Villa now signing young players in the hope they come good, even though are own young players aren't good enough to step up. I think 9 points off at January is likely to happen with Smith in charge. 

Impossible. Jones has never finished higher than League Two. :trollface:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Â