Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We just played a team who started the day 7 points behind us. A team that Smith knows intimately. He will have the unusual insight of knowing all of their strengths and weaknesses. He could not have had any more advantages in preparing for this game. Anybody who says that they have better players did not see Bruce’s team play them off the park earlier in the season (I know we only drew but we were so unlucky!)

They just thoroughly battered us. Our team and manager never played a shot. It was embarrassing. This guy will not improve us. Of course we are stuck with him now and must give him more time to prove that he is not good enough but I have no faith in him!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I agree there are too many players who, at best, have their futures up in the air. That can’t be beneficial for the atmosphere around the squad.

I wonder, once it’s a dead cert that play offs are gone (mathematically) that we’ll see a few of the younger faces, players who may well be here and feature for us next season. The experienced players failed, so their time has gone and now we look to the younger prospects.

If that did happen maybe that would be indicative as to what the club are thinking.

I'd also just play all the young kids now.

Adomah, Jedinak, Whelan, Hutton, Taylor e.t.c just pay up whats left of their contracts or banish them to the reserves.

At least Hutton is a trier but it's time to give someone else a go.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Seems that way, but why does it keep happening?

It’s crazy isn’t it, Aston Villa is a graveyard for managers and even players. We’ve tried experiences to this league, we’ve tried up and coming. We’ve tried defensive, we’ve tried attacking. All seem to come undone by Aston Villa.

1 minute ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Absolutely ridiculous statement. If you think they performed as they did solely because Of Maupay, then I’m lost. You think if we swapped Maupay for Abraham tonight, then we’d have dominated the possession and play in the final 3rd tonight?  Honestly? If anything Brentford were wasteful with there half chances, perhaps Abraham would have won it clearer from them.

This thinking frustrates me no end. These idiotic buys (see Kodija, McCormack and Hogan) have to and will stop. Wake up, we ain’t got the parachute payments to be spunking 15-20 million on one player and funding Brentford’s move to their nice new stadium. No individual player is going to come in and sort this out. We need to buy mutliple players with energy and tenacity, who can actually pass and move. Not the leading scorer, overhyped championship flavour of the season every transfer window. Jesus wept. 

I didn't say any of that, don't go putting words into my mouth.

Just for you though, who scored Maupay or Abraham, the lad from brentford or the lad from chelsea. I'd of sent Abraham back and brought Maupay in the summer, wages would of decreased and we'd of had a decent replacemet to work off. Buying a decent striker  needs to happen anyway because our other strikers are useless. 

Just now, AshVilla said:

I'd also just play all the young kids now.

Adomah, Jedinak, Whelan, Hutton, Taylor e.t.c just pay up whats left of their contracts or banish them to the reserves.

At least Hutton is a trier but it's time to give someone else a go.

I don’t think he will play the kids while there’s still a chance of the play offs (however small or laughable). I think he’ll think that as he has managed to get a tune out of them a few times, they’re not yet without hope.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Dean Smith said at his first press conference that he earned his right to be here.

Fair enough, and now he need to earn his right to keep his job in the summer.

I kinda actually agree with you for once.

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

In his interview he seems to be getting very defensive. Clinging on to "positives" and going on about how Brentford's style was 2-3 years in the making (so all his work). Not a good sign IMO.

Takes time to make a style, takes time to see one take place. It will happen, we need to put promotion out of our minds and focus on just playing football, winning the game.

To be fair brentford have been  at it long enough like that, it's easy to see why they did us in the end. They have the young swuad to play that football we don't, hopefully that changes when we have the summer to see a different villa.

You just knew it. You knew we wouldn’t hold on. You knew we were never scoring. You knew it was going to be another shit performance. Smith has been a cosmic failure. How many wins in the last thirteen league games?? 

Atricous

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

You just knew it. You knew we wouldn’t hold on. You knew we were never scoring. You knew it was going to be another shit performance. Smith has been a cosmic failure. How many wins in the last thirteen league games?? 

Atricous

‘Cosmic’

lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

Wrong man for the job, just going say it. Villa is bigger than him. 

Cant afford to throw next season away as well by giving until oct or november.

So is this another bad appointment by the club then or just a case of the fans being on the new managers back after a run of poor results.

Who would you have gone for instead? The managerial merry go round is almost exhausted of candidates... 

I suppose we could gamble on Fat Sam next as he's been at some "big clubs" but if he doesn't deliver straight away no doubt he will be outed sharpish because of the dire football and then the cycle begins again.

Anyone who takes this job currently is on a hiding to nothing, if anything i take my hat off to the size of Smith's balls for taking it on in the first place.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 4

If we all consider what the one Brentford fan said on here, Smith likes to build a team of full-time players that are young enough to learn. Out of that starting eleven tonight we had, Kalinic (28 but ours), McGinn, Hourihane and Elphick that will probably be here next season. Consider that, just 4 out of a starting eleven that will possibly be here next season! 

The loanees have parent clubs to go home to. The older players have pundit jobs to go home to. We had four players that probably care about the club. Although, I'm not saying that some of the others didn't care - we know four of them that should! 

Hourihane is playing a position he is clearly not built for nor probably wants to play. He's just filling in. McGinn is McGinn and doing his best. Elphick looks OK and I don't agree with the match commentator that he was at fault for the goal - he at least try to intercept the ball unlike Mings who was easily wrong-footed. The keeper won't be a problem when he gets a team in front of him. 

I made a comment about Smith maybe getting fired in the summer if the season tails off. I believe it will tail off and hope that doesn't cost him his job because he does deserve a crack at building his type of squad. I believe he came in and got his point across to the players and that's why we saw that early style of his. But, reality's kicked in and the loanees and older (future leavers) players can't cope with that intensity hence, we've reverted back to type. 

I read people on here saying that Smith is part of a long term plan. If that's the case, why did we let so many youngsters go out on loan in January? Surely, if Smith is part of a long term plan, he could have talked openly to the owners and told them that once promotion looked realistically out of reach he would throw all the youngsters in for the last 10? games to see what they are made of at this level? Once promotion is out of reach, I'd have loved to have seen McKirdy up front with O'Hare in the Grealish role with Ramsey thrown in and the U23 back four just to see how they coped between now and the end of the season. What would we have to lose by doing that? We'd have learnt more about them that way than sending them out to all four corners of the country! 

I'm not giving up on Smith until he gets his players in and has time to make them gel. I personally can't wait to see that happen. 

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Atricous

cosmic failure 

not think you are being a bit dramatic

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s crazy isn’t it, Aston Villa is a graveyard for managers and even players. We’ve tried experiences to this league, we’ve tried up and coming. We’ve tried defensive, we’ve tried attacking. All seem to come undone by Aston Villa.

Overall though we have made some shite managerial appts,  Garde, RDM, Sherwood,  - Thats why we are a graveyard we appoint shite managers. 

Â