Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Honestly we all rip into Bruce but I will say I think we would be on same points if we stuck with him. 

When Bruce first came in he stopped the rot, got us winning an away game, season after a promotion chasing run. He stepped us up.

Smith comes in the least we should expect is a step above. Minimum requirement. We stepped back to Di Matteo with the draws.

Bruce was toss but we are now where we were under Xia and RDM.

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What if West Brom destroy us this weekend. I think he'll lose a few supporters. He might have some skills, but i've always said Villa is so difficult to manage, we needed a Benitez type, who can demand the respect of the players!

West Brom will beat us and so will many others between now and the end of the season. When they do, look at the pitch and see who is to blame - not the bench! Concede the season and it'll get easier mate! 

• Like 1

Last 12 games under smith

brentdord lost

sheffield United draw

Reading draw

ipswich  win (just)

hull draw

wigan lost

Qpr draw

preston draw

swansea win

leeds lost

stoke draw

west brom draw

two wins in twelve. Utterly pathetic. 

@Zatman that’s his record from last 12, look at that and tell me that’s I said not a cosmic failure points return??

Edited by Demitri_C

Smith to stay!

im excited for the summer, total rebuild, old players out and new players in.

The comments here are embarrassing, thankfully beyond the keyboard warriors the villains know the journey that we are about to embark on.

Instead of pulling your hair out and turning different colours let’s just patiently see what happens.

Its only football.

• Haha 1

Wasn't the owners first choice, mind you their first choice was no better.

Compare his after match interviews to those before Christmas and he is a different person.

I like him but have this nagging doubt he can't and won't be successful

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

So is this another bad appointment by the club then or just a case of the fans being on the new managers back after a run of poor results.

Who would you have gone for instead? The managerial merry go round is almost exhausted of candidates... 

I suppose we could gamble on Fat Sam next as he's been at some "big clubs" but if he doesn't deliver straight away no doubt he will be outed sharpish because of the dire football and then the cycle begins again.

Anyone who takes this job currently is on a hiding to nothing, if anything i take my hat off to the size of Smith's balls for taking it on in the first place.

Managing Villa and being a fan of Villa is a pinnacle of ya career. Not big balls for taking the job on. 

Were Villa. Not a piss pot team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Wasn't the owners first choice, mind you their first choice was no better.

Compare his after match interviews to those before Christmas and he is a different person.

I like him but have this nagging doubt he can't and won't be successful

He might not be, but judge him on next season when he’s had a summer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Thing is he lost Grealish and then hasn’t changed the system to reflect this

personally I don’t want to see us lining up with a DM , I’d rather we replaced it with a second striker , Abraham is so isolated 

the season is over ( it kinda was weeks ago ) so let’s bin the  Kodjia , Adomah , Whelan type players who won’t be here next season ... and play people who will fight for the ball and each other 

I don’t think Green is gonna make it here , but equally 12 or so starts might at least confirm one way or another 

I just don't think we have the luxury of being able to change the system currently.

Sure we can try and change and maybe we will have to gamble at some point, but were already conceding 2 - 3 goals a game on average due to the gaping hole in our midfield and terrible defence so i don't see how sacrificing the protection of a DM for another striker is going to help imo.

McGinn can do the running for 90 mins in a two man midfield sure and cover the ground, but who would you partner him up with lets look at the candidates.

Whelan - Not dynamic enough, too slow, will be knackered after 60 mins and will be targeted and pressed because of it.

Jedinak - Not dynamic enough, too slow, will be knackered after 60 mins and will be targeted and pressed because of it.

Lansbury - Gets injured whenever he plays, don't think he could do 90 mins in a three man midfield let alone two man.

Bjarnason - Meh never seen him in a 2 man midfield for us, just seems terrible in any position other than DM where he has been substandard at best.

Grealish - Would be too much of a change for him, would need to do a lot more defensive work.

Hourihane - He's ineffectual in most games in a three man midfield and the game passes him by already.

Dem, we all enjoyed your earlier Bolasie/wasteman stuff. That was classic, that will hold up for years.

This new “cosmic” stuff smacks of second album syndrome. I’d leave it now while it’s still in it’s demo phase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ll do you a deal, we get Allardyde but if he doesn’t win his first ten games, then we get Dunga. No need to rush Dunga. 

And when that fails, we can always rehire Bruce. He'll probably have a few more promotions to his name by then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I won't judge Smith until he has brought his own players in over the summer, but you can't help but feel terribly disappointed in how little he is getting out of this team. I agree that it is a little strange to let so much of the young talent go out on loan, given that it was highly likely we would end up in this scenario where our season is already over and all we have is to try and build something for next season.

The commentator said that Smith signed ten of the starting team for Brentford, so I'm hopeful that given the summer to rebuild we will see much improvement.

To be fair to Allardyce he did get West Ham promoted at his first attempt.

Like him or not, but he usually stabilizes clubs.

I'd take Rodgers over him though, but wouldn't mind Allardyce at this point. I wouldn't compare Bruce to him. Bruce teams are usually relegated in th prem, Allardyce teams finish mid table.

Edited by villalad21

Â