Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TRO said:

My most ironic turn around Terry is based on what i see.

and this team presently is now resembling the one SB took over.....not quite as bad granted, but not to far off .....such is the deterioration in our performances this season.

Hence his going.

We do not resemble the resillience of last season....different players granted, but just saying why my opinion changed.

I’d suggest our late goals point to a resilience that wasn’t there when Bruce came.

Our poor play this season has been the direct result of a whole barrowload of potty selections by Bruce, who was clearly becoming more and more confused.

Correct me if I’ve misunderstood but you seem to be saying no, it’s the players, not Bruce ? I’m not clear to be fair.

It really shouldn’t be a long job to pick a sensible line up and play with a positive mind set.

In fact I’m convinced we will see both in our next game.

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Fair enough. Our consensus didn’t last long Mate !

We are 1 CB and 1 GK down on last year. And UP in many other positions, including Manager.

Just under 2 Points per game really isn’t asking too much in my view.

I will be looking at League placings from the Off !

I don't think our consensus is in question, just think we are pointing out two different things.

I don't think you have aligned with my point.

I am saying look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.

Attention to detail and hard work at BMH will make a big difference.

of course anyone can look at the league placings, i will.....but i will not expect much until the details are fixed.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I don't think our consensus is in question, just think we are pointing out two different things.

I don't think you have aligned with my point.

I am saying look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.

Attention to detail and hard work at BMH will make a big difference.

of course anyone can look at the league placings, i will.....but i will not expect much until the details are fixed.

So you agree a place in the Play Offs is a reasonable expectation ? I interpreted your Post as saying not, apologies if so.

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

We should sign Collins to at least remedy the worst issue we face.

FWIW I don’t share the consensus that the defence is a disaster.

Of course there are issues......but there are issues with every defence in this League.

For me the real problem has been that the way we play(ed) simply invited teams to lay into us. Take the decision in his last game to IMMEDIATELY take off Tammy and try and hold out..........can you really blame the defence in those circumstances ? I can’t.

Im 100% certain that a change to a more positive approach ( regardless of the better stuff about pass and move etc, which takes longer) will affect not only our Team, but the psychology of those we meet. We had become known, in my view, NOT for being defensively frail, but for being defensive, That’s what teams have been seizing upon, in my view.

Hence I still expect issues at the back. But I expect them for 23 other teams too.  But I would put money on us immediately conceding less goals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't know how long it will take to get the bad habits removed from this team.....i don't know how long it will take to get the balance right......I don't know how long it will take to get performances from centre backs and the goalkeeper.

Is it really a team riddled with bad habits. I guess our first 11 will contain Nyland, Axel, McGinn, Bolasie and Tammy. All have been here 5 minutes and have hardly had time as a collective to have bad habits drilled into them. I have a feeling under Smith we may well see Bree who has spent much of his time in a winning under 23's side and El Ghazi another who has only been here a handful of weeks.

I don't think this season has to be written off. A midfield and attack containing 6 from Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish, Abraham, Bolasie, El Ghazi, Kodjia, Lansbury, Barny, Hogan, Adomah is better than any in the division. What it has lacked is a manager that could get the best out of them but regardless of what influence Smith can have on the training ground just having a manger who will let the shackles off and approach games with an attacking mentality will do wonders for these players.

I am not forgetting the issues we have defensively but they could be helped by us not inviting pressure which again is something that Smith will instantly encourage.

Let's see how it goes but it is not beyond the realms that with this squad and a transfer window to come that we can find ourselves in the play off places come the end of the season. The fact that we have been in the main diabolical so far this season yet still only find ourselves 4 points from 6th gives me hope that Smith and co can have enough of a positive impact to bridge that gap.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’d suggest our late goals point to a resilience that wasn’t there when Bruce came.

Our poor play this season has been the direct result of a whole barrowload of potty selections by Bruce, who was clearly becoming more and more confused.

Correct me if I’ve misunderstood but you seem to be saying no, it’s the players, not Bruce ? I’m not clear to be fair.

It really shouldn’t be a long job to pick a sensible line up and play with a positive mind set.

In fact I’m convinced we will see both in our next game.

Well of course its the players, they play the game......under the tutelage of SB, so he is at fault overall.

you have already conceded, that i have changed my opinion.....thats why i wanted him gone in the end.

For me ,the resilience of containing games and defending winning positions is not there this season, like it was last.

The same players may well respond to Dean Smiths approach.....but its them that will get us the results we crave...   or we will see if they really are what we think they are.

its difficult to seperate the 2.......managers and players are in it together.....i guess replacing the manager is easier than replacing a squad of players.....no he had to go.

However, I mean ....it was whelan that struck that penalty like a girl ....not the manager.....but the manager, sets the tone of the whole thing and maybe responsible for him taking it.

I am not saying its the players and not the manager......but some of them are not blameless.

I hope that is clear.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's happened at Villa before and the assistant in question was a former player too.

image.png

As referred to by me in the Swansea pre-match thread. 

The Boys Are Back in Town. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Is it really a team riddled with bad habits. I guess our first 11 will contain Nyland, Axel, McGinn, Bolasie and Tammy. All have been here 5 minutes and have hardly had time to have to as a collective have bad habits drilled into them. I have a feeling under Smith we may well see Bree who has spent much of his time in a winning under 23's side and El Ghazi another who has only been here a handful of weeks.

I don't think this season has to be written off. A midfield and attack containing 6 from Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish, Abraham, Bolasie, El Ghazi, Kodjia, Lansbury, Barny, Hogan, Adomah is better than any in the division. What it has lacked is a manager that could get the best out of them but regardless of what influence Smith can have on the training ground just having a manger who will let the shackles off and approach games with an attacking mentality will do wonders for these players.

I am not forgetting the issues we have defensively but they could be helped by us not inviting pressure which again is something that Smith will instantly encourage.

Let's see how it goes but it is not beyond the realms that with this squad and a transfer window to come that we can find ourselves in the play off places come the end of the season. The fact that we have been in the main diabolical so far this season yet still only find ourselves 4 points from 6th gives me hope that Smith and co can have enough of a positive impact to bridge that gap.

riddled may be bit a bit profound, but certainly, I have seen enough to make me concerned and enough to cease supporting the manager on the basis that game in game out they are still there......I have wondered if any work had been done at BMH

as for Adomah, in current form which has been with him for some time now, he is a shadow of last season and he is anything but, better than anything in this division.

We have changed manager now, and I welcome Dean Smith.....We will just see, who he can get functioning and who he can't.....I hope he gets them all playing to a good standard.

I am not ruling anything in or out in terms of final placings in the league.....I simply don't know what the outcome will be ......but here's hoping for best.

UTV

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If we don't go up this season we'll almost certainly have to sell anyone with any kind of value, we'll be left with kids, mediocre loan signings and Micah Richards. 

I think we will sooner see league 1 than the PL if we do not go up this season. 

I agree that we wont go up if we do have to sell the shirt off out backs, but i still think we would be left with enough quality to stay up, even with a points deduction.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

as for Adomah, in current form which has been with him for some time now, he is a shadow of last season and he is anything but, better than anything in this division.

I am not sure why you have singled out one name from the 11 midfielders/attackers I listed but I wasn't suggesting Adomah is as good as anything in this division I was stating that our attacking and midfield options as a collective are as good as any in the division. If anyone can tell me a club that has within it a better group of midfielders and attackers than us I'd be interested to see it.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Of course there are issues......but there are issues with every defence in this League.

For me the real problem has been that the way we play(ed) simply invited teams to lay into us. Take the decision in his last game to IMMEDIATELY take off Tammy and try and hold out..........can you really blame the defence in those circumstances ? I can’t.

Im 100% certain that a change to a more positive approach ( regardless of the better stuff about pass and move etc, which takes longer) will affect not only our Team, but the psychology of those we meet. We had become known, in my view, NOT for being defensively frail, but for being defensive, That’s what teams have been seizing upon, in my view.

Hence I still expect issues at the back. But I expect them for 23 other teams too.  But I would put money on us immediately conceding less goals.

Fair Comment.

We will now see.

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not sure why you have singled out one name from the 11 midfielders/attackers I listed but I wasn't suggesting Adomah is as good as anything in this division I was stating that our attacking and midfield options as a collective are as good as any in the division. If anyone can tell me a club that has within it a better group of midfielders and attackers than us I'd be interested to see it.

misread your point,in context, sorry Mark.

yes I agree, it is a formidable line up.

Now the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

My suspicion is.....The new manager will be busy at some stage,( Jan) having read some of his feelings towards recruitment.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, terrytini said:

All true, but equally all Managers have targets, set by their bosses, by themselves, and by the fans.

I see no reason to give him a free pass any more than anyone else....so, whilst I’m as much in the dark as anyone as to what he’s been told by the owners, I’ve formed my own view on what I think it is reasonable to expect....and I’d be amazed if most didn’t.

And I doubt very much the Owners have left things open......(although his Appointment suggests an acceptance it may not happen this year).

For me, two things.

From a performance side, a slow but steady improvement in how we play football, because currently it’s poor. But I’d expect a discernible change in approach sooner, if not immediately. By which I mean, we set out to Win, rather than to Not Lose.

From a Results side, I think it’s reasonable to expect a finish in the Play Off positions ( I mean , wasn’t one of the commonest complaints about Bruce that ‘anybody’ could achieve that with this squad ?..........not that ‘anybody’ could of course, but the point is still valid)"......such a finish requires 7 points every 4 games, (2 Wins and a Draw, and 1 Defeat). That’s perfectly reasonable as a target and an expectation, in my view.

except Bruce started with the same number of points as everyone else.  AND Bruce signed (or kept) the players presumably because he thought they were capable of meeting his needs and plan.  AND Bruce had some money to spend on a few...  with FFP we don't know yet what Smith will have.

My expectations, (1) improved movement with and without the ball (and of the ball).  (2) A line up that is a coherent fit with the tactics.  (most recent example of one that does not is one man alone up top an the plan to whip in crosses)  (3) During the window, I expect whatever moves we make to address clear holes in player availability and any players that appear to be unable to make the adjustments the rest of the team is making.  (4) I expect to see continued incremental improvements in play and then in results through the spring.

I HOPE the players en masse respond well and show the ability to play a more fluid, attacking, positive approach to the game.  (partly so there's less cash needed in January) I HOPE the players responses have been good enough and they have the untapped ability I THINK they have.  I HOPE that there are enough funds to address at least a few "holes" in the roster whether those are current, like CB, or they develop because current players cannot meet the new expectations.  I HOPE all of those things come together and we get to the playoffs.   (or thereabouts)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, terrytini said:

One thing that will help the defence is the focus on Retention (as one of the 4 magic R's), if we've got the ball then they aren't putting pressure on our defence. Simples. 

As we were, we couldn't manage a game and when Bruce decided to try and hold on to a lead the method wasn't to control possession and make the other team chase shadows, it was to defend the 18 yard line for dear life, we had no way of getting out with the ball or passing it through a side so it just kept coming back at us. That's a recipe for disaster even if you've got a great back line, ours might be good enough (if no-one gets injured) but it aint great and it will only be better off being more protected by us keeping the ball better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If we don't go up this season we'll almost certainly have to sell anyone with any kind of value, we'll be left with kids, mediocre loan signings and Micah Richards. 

I think we will sooner see league 1 than the PL if we do not go up this season. 

Unless circumstances change, we’ll have to make do without Micah as his contract is up next summer.

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

Aren't we four points from the playoffs? I still have hope. We just need to make the most of the talent we have and to go from there. One step at a time of course. 

It is not something that I expect to happen, but it may be possible for us to go up through the playoffs by achieving 6th place, which, as you say, is only 4 points away.

It does not have to be automatic.

Â