Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

For me, Smith is showing a worrying trend that was prevalent under Bruce: identify exactly what went wrong in the post-match interview, but then do absolutely nothing about it. So antagonising to see.

Worried we are being duped by him as for all his talk results, style and performance have been terrible, not to mention League positioning. 

Really beginning to question whether he is all gloss and no substance. 

Also he is trying to get meat and 2 veg players brought by the previous manager to play the beautiful game.  Give him the chance to sign footballers and things will improve.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, MaVilla said:

what is everyone's obsession with O'Hare?

it's been a long time since he played for the 1st team and everyone has forgotten whether he's any good or not (see: jordan veretout).

now that results and performances have dipped we want someone to fill jack's shoes and he's the only other young player that is close-ish to the 1st team that plays in that position so he's getting calls to start purely by default, when people dont seem to accept that if he was anywhere near good enough he'd at least have come off the bench recently. i expect him to be loaned out this window.

mcginn to move into a more advanced role please dean and lansbury to play CM

6 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Worried we are being duped by him as for all his talk results, style and performance have been terrible, not to mention League positioning. 

Style, performance and league positioning are terrible? Wow. You must be troll. 

Go and have a look at the form table since Smith took over, applying context regarding the teams we have faced in that time. 

6 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

For me, Smith is showing a worrying trend that was prevalent under Bruce: identify exactly what went wrong in the post-match interview, but then do absolutely nothing about it. So antagonising to see.

Well that took long...

8 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣…………You've made me do a little wee in my pants!  

10 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I know that the modern football fan is an impatient being but this post is something else. Smith has been here for a couple of months. In that time he has lost his best defender and his most creative player.  He hasn't been able to bring in any of his own players and the squad is unbalanced .  Despite this results and performances have improved.  Think back to the away game at Sheffield United to prove that progress has been made. I think the time to start judging Smith is in a year's time when he has been able to bring in some of his own players and had a pre-season to work with them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Also he is trying to get meat and 2 veg players brought by the previous manager to play the beautiful game.  Give him the chance to sign footballers and things will improve.  

I've seen posts like this constantly, and I'd like to say firstly that I fully agree, the squad desperately needs signings (although I have doubts Smith will be the man actually making them) and we really do have to reserve too much judgement until its more "his" team...however I really need someone to explain how this is any different to when people said "Bruce needs a pre season/summer transfer window" and were absolutely ridiculed for it

Its absolutely the same thing, they both rock up with a vastly different style to the man they replaced, and both seem to have suffered similar problems getting the players to play their way (in Bruce's case this was "solid and unspectacular", and in Smith's it is "open and exciting") yet it seems to be a readily accepted consensus that Smith needs time to bring in his own players, but anyone suggesting the same for Bruce was mocked

I really don't want to compare the 2, because Bruce was terrible this season and Smith has brought a lot more to the table and I'm not here arguing against Smith or for Bruce, but it really irks me and I really hope the same people that used the expression "mythical pre season" are not the same people that are reserving judgment until the end of next season for Dean Smith (even though you really do need to reserve judgement until he's had more time to implement his style and bring in more suitable players, the same was true of Bruce prior to this season where the lack of any summer planning is clearly costing us) 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, New_Hope said:

Why give the attention seeker time if day guys?  I've only read two of his posts in the last 2 days and both were uneducated and poorly thought out drivel.....just ignore him.

Wondered how long it would be before a clown like you came out and tried to hush any opinion to the contrary. Really not surprised at all. Tolerance on here for questioning a Manager is horrific. It’s perfectly legitimate to question a Manager and what he is doing, particularly when our results and League position are what they are; it’s a DISCUSSION forum. 

The points I made are entirely fair: he continues to talk a good game - granted, with much more tactical insight and intelligence than Bruce - but then does not address what he says himself are the problems. 

Performances against Stoke, Leeds, Preston and on Tuesday, in my opinion, were not good enough because of tactical missteps and team selection.

It’s nice to see that we have a Manager that is watching the same game as me, for once. Maybe it’s because we have had to endure so much dross for managers over the years that people are enjoying Smith. I am too, I just think that he needs to start addressing the issues, tactically, otherwise it is just hot air. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Wondered how long it would be before a clown like you came out and tried to hush any opinion to the contrary. Really not surprised at all. Tolerance on here for questioning a Manager is horrific. It’s perfectly legitimate to question a Manager and what he is doing, particularly when our results and League position are what they are; it’s a DISCUSSION forum. 

The points I made are entirely fair: he continues to talk a good game - granted, with much more tactical insight and intelligence than Bruce - but then does not address what he says himself are the problems. 

Performances against Stoke, Leeds, Preston and on Tuesday, in my opinion, were not good enough because of tactical missteps and team selection.

It’s nice to see that we have a Manager that is watching the same game as me, for once. Maybe it’s because we have had to endure so much dross for managers over the years that people are enjoying Smith. I am too, I just think that he needs to start addressing the issues, tactically, otherwise it is just hot air. 

Now that was written with a lot more clarity and insight than what you had posted earlier (apart from the clown calling). I don't expect everyone to agree with you but would be surprised if anyone were overly critical of what you've just written.

I've posted more than a handful of times on why we can be optimistic about the brand of football being implemented by Smith getting us the results we need in order to be in the promotion contest at seasons end.

You speak of hot air, well, don't take this the wrong way, you venting frustration due to results not being adequate, without investigating the process that led to it, doesn't make for a true account of what has transpired or what we can expect, and could just as easily be construed as hot air as what Smith is saying.

• Like 3

I think we're all so used to everything going to shit when it involves the club, that it's only natural for some of us to start to question things that aren't exceeding our expectations.  We're a miserable lot, us Aston Villa supporters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

To be fair you do have a point. He does talk a good game. But I think he’s allowed too until he can get some of his own players in. 

In terms of performances and results you’re being harsh. I only think we have deserved to lose one game since he took over and that was against Leeds. We should have beaten WBA and got 4 points against QPR instead of 1. We should have got a point against Norwich. 

The results will come because the performances haven’t been bad.  We are creating a lot of chances every game. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

8 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Now that was written with a lot more clarity and insight than what you had posted earlier (apart from the clown calling). I don't expect everyone to agree with you but would be surprised if anyone were overly critical of what you've just written.

I've posted more than a handful of times on why we can be optimistic about the brand of football being implemented by Smith getting us the results we need in order to be in the promotion contest at seasons end.

You speak of hot air, well, don't take this the wrong way, you venting frustration due to results not being adequate, without investigating the process that led to it, doesn't make for a true account of what has transpired or what we can expect, and could just as easily be construed as hot air as what Smith is saying.

Thanks.

Although, the frustration I have vented here is not simply down to results; what I find so antagonising is how Smith can evidently identify the problems but then not actually address them! 

Respectively, investigating the process that led to these results - which you advise me to do - likely warrants an entirely different post and would be pure speculation. The point being made is purposely more of a simplistic observation: he can see what is causing us not to win games and he should address it. And it is that which I find antagonising. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weedman said:

however I really need someone to explain how this is any different to when people said "Bruce needs a pre season/summer transfer window" and were absolutely ridiculed for it

For starters.

One was here for 2 years, one has been here for 15 games.

I really don't see how much needs to be explained.

I'm sure someone else will go into all the other obvious details such as style of play, signs, tactical nous etc.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair you do have a point. He does talk a good game. But I think he’s allowed too until he can get some of his own players in. 

In terms of performances and results you’re being harsh. I only think we have deserved to lose one game since he took over and that was against Leeds. We should have beaten WBA and got 4 points against QPR instead of 1. We should have got a point against Norwich. 

The results will come because the performances haven’t been bad.  We are creating a lot of chances every game. 

It’s not like he has rubbish players to work with though is it? He does need his own players, but given his style is very attack- focused (which I like), he should have enough in our current squad to implement his style, particularly if he can coach players. It’s the coaching part, defensively, that he needs to do to truly earn his corn as no Manager save for Pep will ever have their ideal players in every position. 

Maybe I’m taking a more cynical view on our performances and being guided too much by the actual result and league position. I acknowledge that in parts we have been wonderful, but on balance I haven’t been too impressed. At least not as much as everyone else seems to be, anyway. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Thanks.

Although, the frustration I have vented here is not simply down to results; what I find so antagonising is how Smith can evidently identify the problems but then not actually address them! 

Respectively, investigating the process that led to these results - which you advise me to do - likely warrants an entirely different post and would be pure speculation. The point being made is purposely more of a simplistic observation: he can see what is causing us not to win games and he should address it. And it is that which I find antagonising. 

Out of curiosity, which problems has he identified that he hasn't done anything about? And what actions do you believe he should take in order to adress the issues? 

Â