Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has a 36% win ratio in his career spanning 522 games.....he has a modest 40% win ratio at Villa in 119 games.

You make your own mind up Nick.

I will go back to my central point.....In my humble opinion, I think we should foster more controlled aggression in our play and it might help us with our results.....I was rather hoping Dean has it in him to do that.

Well 7th place in the PL last season had a win ratio of 39.5% so 40% doesn’t sound too bad

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

@nick76

Not sure I'm party to this "we over achieved the start of the season". To me that was our level, that is how good we can be. We are now under achieving I've no doubt, Grealish missing, yes, manager struggling, yes.

I looked back to the vote on this site just prior to the season start and most thought we’d be 12-15 in the league.  So maybe your expectations were too high.  Interesting to read Villalad21 thought we’d be fighting around the bottom five teams.

Great you have that opinion, I didn’t think we had the squad to maintain that level. I agree if we are flying or “how good we can be” but as our team and many other teams have shown, you rarely go through a whole season being ‘how good we can be’ in every game.  Teams have good and bad form throughout the season and that’s why it’s a very different game to cup competition.  Our first XI including Jack, are great but a couple off form, tiredness or injuries and we drop off dramatically...

We obviously don’t agree. Anyway I’m off site now for a bit as I’ve some things to do this afternoon.  Enjoy!

Edited by nick76

Just now, nick76 said:

I looked back to the vote on this site just prior to the season start and most thought we’d be 12-15 in the league.  So maybe your expectations were too high.  Interesting to read Villalad21 thought we’d be fighting around the bottom five teams.

Great you have that opinion, I didn’t think we had the squad to maintain that level. I agree if we are flying or “how good we can be” but as our team and many other teams have shown, you rarely go through a whole season being ‘how good we can be’ in every game.  Teams have good and bad form throughout the season and that’s why it’s a very different game to cup competition.  Our first XI including Jack, are great but a couple off form, tiredness or injuries and we drop off dramatically...

More like boring to read. Proven wrong yet again. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

@nick76

Not sure I'm party to this "we over achieved the start of the season". To me that was our level, that is how good we can be. We are now under achieving I've no doubt, Grealish missing, yes, manager struggling, yes.

Smashing the champions 7-2. Not overachieving. Our level.

Ok.

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Smashing the champions 7-2. Not overachieving. Our level.

Ok.

You could also say losing to Sheffield United, our level?

Beating the Champions, although there form is more than debatable this season, is how good we can be.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If anybody thinks the first half of the season champions league form is the level we should be playing at for the whole season then no wonder they are disappointed with Smith!  

yep its pretty much there own fault if thats the expectations

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If anybody thinks the first half of the season champions league form is the level we should be playing at for the whole season then no wonder they are disappointed with Smith!  

I didn't think we would keep up that form no, up and down form defo, but we are dying a slow painful death.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I didn't think we would keep up that form no, up and down form defo, but we are dying a slow painful death.

We arent even the team with the biggest drop in form in the league this season. Liverpool were top of the table at Christmas and have won 6 in 19. Southampton were top in November and have won 3 in 20 and have ended up in a relegation battle and shipped 9 goals a few weeks back

Edited by Zatman

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yep its pretty much there own fault if thats the expectations

100%. Not Smith's fault that people have stupid expectations. They've set themselves up to be disappointed and I think probably on purpose to justify being able to constantly pick faults and complain.

Some of the reaching that goes into finding criticisms is utterly bizarre considering there actually is a good amount of issues to be constructively critical of Smith over. Absolutely dumbfounded by that results/performances quote being debated as to find issue with that is to remove all context from it (shouldn't be surprised given how much of a trend that is...). It goes without saying that the greater the performance the better likelihood of a positive result, thus prioritising it makes all the sense in the world. It's not like Smith isn't capable of having us play more pragmatically anyway, it was a large reason why we stayed up last season post lockdown and was also used in the recent past to beat Arsenal and Leeds (which, incidentally, people were lumping into our poor form at the time as despite the result they weren't pleased by...the performance).

Our form at the moment is poor, and even more worrying is the manner of how we're playing during this run. There's enough to legitimately pick through as being wrong with both the playing and coaching side of things without these weird attempts at fueling narratives.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You could also say losing to Sheffield United, our level?

Beating the Champions, although there form is more than debatable this season, is how good we can be.

But surely that wasn't your point. You referred to our great start to the season and how people were incorrect saying we were overachieving. Now you are saying we weren't? What are you actually saying?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

i think the biggest problem overall, is the first 13 games were way above what we could reasonably expect, and the last 18 or so games have been broadly quite a way below what we could reasonably expect........its been a season of extremes, rather than a season of balanced progression for me.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Would you rather win the first 19 and lose the next 19? 

Smith did an incredible job at the start of the season, unfortunately our squad isn’t up to it and we are just evening out. Regardless of whether we beat better teams before .

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

and the buck stops at the manager. 

Disagree

Luiz no longer being able to play a 10 yard pass is not Dean Smiths fault

He is better than he is currently playing (I think) whether or not he is demotivated or had corona or just generally down as a young foreign guy living abroad corona there are reasons for it but he's definitely struggling right now and has been for a while

But Wednesday night he gave away a ball that lead to a free kick on the edge of our box, it was as lazy a pass and you will see all season, I don't see how you watch that and say "**** hell Smith coach him better" 

Not everything is smiths fault 

Â