Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 23/04/2021 at 03:44, Dave-R said:

I think Mcginn is a bit easy of the situation myself if I were to say something to the lad, it would be Mcginn Villa just didn't go after City at all. Did to much letting City have fun.

I'd also say Mcginn, where is the ruthless Mcginn I came to love, the player who would find that ball somehow and make something out of it after they have kept it for a while.

I'd also say Mcginn don't worry, you are not the only player I feel that about, many of our players recently have forgot how to chase a ball down and make sure they cover there angle, support one and other and retrieve the ball and keep it.

You can certainly see the change in our team TRO. As I said in another post, we have gone from bloodhounds, sniffing out and fetching our prey to Hunters sitting in a tower waiting for our prey to come near us. Were waiting for the easy game and football is no easy game, go get the ball and do something with it. However you look at it were not exciting to watch at the moment and City was a bore to watch because we're not doing what we have done most of the season which is go after the ball, get the ball, keep the ball, do something with the ball.

You are not wrong Dave.

Pep made references 3 times after the game to aggression and how important it is, last night Graeme Souness made several references to Arsenal not having it enough, saying " where has the game gone to"

Its not about kicking lumps out of your opponent, its abot being aggressive with yourself to get the job done.....Arsenal were lack lustre last night, despite their undoubted talent, we are much the same lately.

We lack aggression in our selves and in our play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far we’ve had a decent season, no real relegation threat however it’s just felt like it’s drifted off though.. No coincidence that it’s happened with Jack out too (although the signs were there when he was playing worryingly) We need to do something about it in the summer, far too reliant on him.. which whilst it’s good when he is fit when he isn’t we are certain relegation candidates. We should be able to attract better more consistent players this summer hopefully.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

In the second tier so not really that relevant imo

Winning 4 games in a row at the start of the season was much more impressive.

But you’re a massive fan of Bielsa who is the peak of performance over results.  As Souness said Bielsa doesn’t care if the opposition team score, his team is about scoring about style over results.  Your hero is the ultimate style over result. It’s great for the neutral but for somebody who

Well I am a results man and I can never agree with downplaying the Importance of results. 

you seem to be following the wrong hero.

Also your hero is only 2 points ahead of us and we have a game in hand, so I don’t understand how Smith is not for you but Bielsa you are a massive fan of.  Their ‘results’ are basically the same and they’ve been at their respective clubs about the same time.

So question(s)

So is Smith doing what you expect results wise and Bielsa is failing given he’s doing only on par with Smith?

or is Bielsa doing well results wise and Smith is doing exceptionally well to be close to Bielsa given he’s not as good?

Summary of the question

Given your comment on results and your thoughts on the managers, is Bielsa failing or is Smith doing exceptionally well?

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But you’re a massive fan of Bielsa who is the peak of performance over results.  As Souness said Bielsa doesn’t care if the opposition team score, his team is about scoring about style over results.  Your hero is the ultimate style over result. It’s great for the neutral but for somebody who

you seem to be following the wrong hero.

Also your hero is only 2 points ahead of us and we have a game in hand, so I don’t understand how Smith is not for you but Bielsa you are a massive fan of.  Their ‘results’ are basically the same and they’ve been at their respective clubs about the same time.

So question(s)

So is Smith doing what you expect results wise and Bielsa is failing given he’s doing only on par with Smith?

or is Bielsa doing well results wise and Smith is doing exceptionally well to be close to Bielsa given he’s not as good?

Summary of the question

Given your comment on results and your thoughts on the managers, is Bielsa failing or is Smith doing exceptionally well?

Who told you Bielsa isn't a results man?

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

Difference between fans not happy with current form and fans not being happy overall.  You’ve never liked Smith from day one.

Sure the Thomas Frank was a better manager agenda went quiet quickly from that season moved to Wilder soon after and Hassnhuttl 

Its almost like having a go just to have a go

• Like 2

13 hours ago, useless said:

It was I who first linked to the interview, Smith didn't say he was a results man as such, he said that he focuses on performances rather than results, which isn't the same thing, you can focus on performances with the idea being that that's the best way of getting results, it's kind of logical really, but some tried to twist it to make it as if Smith wasn't bothered about results.

How can someone claim he's more interested in performances and results and openly say he didn't watch a game back where we got dominated?

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Who told you Bielsa isn't a results man?

As usual you avoid answering my question because you know that either you have to praise Smith or say Bielsa is failing.  

In answering your question, as Zatman says his results say so.  His record results wise in Europe is poor given his supposed reputation.  Other managers don’t say about him that they admire him for his results they admire him for brand of football....this is performance over results.

6 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Plenty of times we've got a result this season when performance has been under par

Literally we played Leeds in our poor form period, beat them when Leeds performed and we took the result.  Smith actually played for the result and got it.  So Smith played for the result, Bielsa didn’t (or failed 😉).

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Plenty of times we've got a result this season when performance has been under par

Inadvertently though.  First half of the season we played well every game regardless of result.  Second half it’s been the opposite. Consistent good performances are always more important than the results. With the first you eventually get the second.  

Anyway my post was about somebody having an dig at Smith for once saying performances are more important than results but then also having posters of Bielsa on his bedroom wall who is the most performance orientated manager around!  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Two years ago we were in the Championship play-off final, two years later we're on the fringe of the Top 10 of the PL.

Are there challenges, yes. Has the team continued to improve each season, yes.

A little bit of perspective is needed.

The problem with improvement is it needs to stick. If we were hovering around lower half all season, fair enough. But when you start off on a mission, playing entertaining attractive football and all the fans are hyped, to playing dour, mostly boring football, it tends not to be seen as a improvement, it's seen as digression. Smith has admitted the players are not playing to the best of there ability, so what's saying any new signings won't be the same under Smith. Playing devils advocate a bit.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The problem with improvement is it needs to stick. If we were hovering around lower half all season, fair enough. But when you start off on a mission, playing entertaining attractive football and all the fans are hyped, to playing dour, mostly boring football, it tends not to be seen as a improvement, it's seen as digression. Smith has admitted the players are not playing to the best of there ability, so what's saying any new signings won't be the same under Smith. Playing devils advocate a bit.

I think you are being disingenuous when you are saying playing devils advocate because you are vocal of your views.

Despite that I could argue that Smith has proved he can get the best out of players re first half of the season like you said the opposite about recent performance.  We know we are struggling with quality in attacking areas, so if we get that quality in and Smith doesn’t deliver then you have a case but when Smith doesn’t have all the tools it’s unfair to overly judge him further

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think you are being disingenuous when you are saying playing devils advocate because you are vocal of your views.

Despite that I could argue that Smith has proved he can get the best out of players re first half of the season like you said the opposite about recent performance.  We know we are struggling with quality in attacking areas, so if we get that quality in and Smith doesn’t deliver then you have a case but when Smith doesn’t have all the tools it’s unfair to overly judge him further

Yes the team is better than this. As I said, Smith has admitted he ain't getting the best out of the players, an it shows. You don't have to sign 20-30-40-50 million pound players to see aggression, graft, closing down players, the basics There's no discipline in our team mate, he is doing no better job at the moment than Lampard was doing at Chelsea.

I certainly have my doubts over Deano. It annoys me that each season we have had long spells of terrible form. It annoys me that he is very resistant to change. His subs annoy me. His love of McGinn annoys me. His Pep love fest the other night really annoyed me.......but..

I loved our 10 game winning  run. I loved the play off final. I loved Liverpool. In fact I loved everything up until new year. I love that he is one of us. I love that he is decent. I love his relationship with Jack which is so crucial to us.

It is not black and white. There are shades of grey everywhere. I think the fact that he is one of us just shades it for me at the moment. He deserves the start of next season. I think we will play better and win tomorrow. Hopefully that will start a period of better form. UTV

• Like 2

Â