Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Didn't want to admit we are a 1 man team, but okay.

Lets hope we don't lose Grealish for next season, cause we will be relegated.

3rd best defence in the league, hardly a one man team

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

I do get what you are saying....Its not lost on me.

I don't see the level of aggression in this team, like I would like to and Dean has already stated in the past that a team mirrors the Manager.

Pep and Biesla are winners, so is Tuchel and it shows in their Demeanor....Dean is a thoroughly nice bloke, who in many ways is doing a good job at Villa, particularly in the way of harmony and stability.....but I think these players need driving harder, and they need to develop a harder edge to their game.....(Dean is so grateful for the job, it shows at times.).....We do have some who leave everything on the pitch like the back 5, Ollie and Jack ( when he's playing) we need a few more.

I think you make some worthwhile points in that post....certainly food for thought.

Bielsa is a winner? Nothing in twenty years in Europe apart from a second level trophy.  

So I’ll ask you the same question as I did Villalad21.  

Given Bielsa and Smith have been at their clubs the same time and are currently in the same position, given Bielsa is a winner and I assume from the above Smith isn’t, then because they are currently level after 2.5 years is

Smith a success?
or

Bielsa a failure?

Because by your comments Bielsa should be way ahead of Smith but are currently the same, so it has to be one or the other.

5 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Two years ago we were in the Championship play-off final, two years later we're on the fringe of the Top 10 of the PL.

Are there challenges, yes. Has the team continued to improve each season, yes.

A little bit of perspective is needed.

I think your point is valid....but I think a bit more controlled aggression about the place wouldn't go amiss.

That doesn't have to be waited for, or progressed to, it doesn't have to take seasons to impliment.....it just has to be applied, its a mentality, its an approach.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Still losing games, won 5 in 18 speaks volumes mate.

An I compared Lampard to Smith, not Chelsea to Villa.

So its Chelsea to Villa. Lampard worked woth a superior squad 

Just now, TRO said:

I think your point is valid....but I think a bit more controlled aggression about the place wouldn't go amiss.

That doesn't have to be waited for, or progressed to, it doesn't have to take seasons to impliment.....it just has to be applied, its a mentality, its an approach.

Your right! We could sign 3, 50 million pound players for next season, but if your not installing the mentality to put a shift in every game, things are not going to change.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree, with most of that Nick, and yes managers are subject to form fluctuations, but what I would like to see is more aggression from certain players.....a more determined approach to gaining points, yes and a few flying cups or teddies out of prams, now and again.

One thing, I said one thing Dean could learn from MON, was his ability to let folk know, he was P***** off.

I thought Dean was after a coaching job with Pep, such was the awe.....We have to be more fired up than that.....He looked like a manager learning the job around Pep....when even if he is, it shouldn't be so obvious...too many handshakes, not enough bloody noses.

Maybe he does behind the scenes.  Maybe he’s the type that keeps stuff in house because he’s honest in his interviews but professional but behind the scenes maybe more, maybe not.  I’ve never really taken much from interviews.  As for the thing with Pep, so what I just don’t see how that is big thing, so he gets on with other managers and shakes hands.  It’s just looking for excuses to throw at Smith.. waiting for how he drinks his drink or walks down steps or he missed a handshake with a certain player next.  It’s like this website looks at every non football detail to criticise from Jack apparently being in Rehab, Smith shaking hands with Pep, Luiz dying his hair blah blah blah.

Better form from players? Yes.  More aggression from players? Yes.  More pressure on opposition on players? Yes.  Everything else like handshakes, interviews and hair colour is just BS.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Still losing games, won 5 in 18 speaks volumes mate.

An I compared Lampard to Smith, not Chelsea to Villa.

The one man is out

you are comparing Lampard record to Smiths, that is Chelsea to Villa...same th8ng.

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm with you hear @TRO

You never see Smith really shouting or frustrated at players on the pitch. He rarely pulls McGinn however poor he is, an he has been seriously poor in some games. He's doesn't come across a great motivator, I may be wrong, although he is really struggling to get the best out these players for a while now, you can see, they are just not working hard enough and this has nothing to do with their quality.

Quality, is what everyone clings to.....we can't all have the worlds best players.

Quality can be an issue, not denying that, but teams like Burnley or Brighton add to what they have in terms of aggression and desire.

Dean has never been one for that, but for me, if you have been drumming in to players in training to do this that or the other, its hard to not get frustarted, if they are not.....Pep certainly does it.....otherwise it comes across, like you are condoning it.

I am not asking Dean to become a Barry Fry, but a bit of animation, here of there may just show, he doesn't condone stuff.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe he does behind the scenes.  Maybe he’s the type that keeps stuff in house because he’s honest in his interviews but professional but behind the scenes maybe more, maybe not.  I’ve never really taken much from interviews.  As for the thing with Pep, so what I just don’t see how that is big thing, so he gets on with other managers and shakes hands.  It’s just looking for excuses to throw at Smith.. waiting for how he drinks his drink or walks down steps or he missed a handshake with a certain player next.  It’s like this website looks at every non football detail to criticise from Jack apparently being in Rehab, Smith shaking hands with Pep, Luiz dying his hair blah blah blah.

Better form from players? Yes.  More aggression from players? Yes.  More pressure on opposition on players? Yes.  Everything else like handshakes, interviews and hair colour is just BS.

If he does, it ain't working.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Quality, is what everyone clings to.....we can't all have the worlds best players.

Quality can be an issue, not denying that, but teams like Burnley or Brighton add to what they have in terms of aggression and desire.

Dean has never been one for that, but for me, if you have been drumming in to players in training to do this that or the other, its hard to not get frustarted, if they are not.....Pep certainly does it.....otherwise it comes across, like you are condoning it.

I am not asking Dean to become a Barry Fry, but a bit of animation, here of there may just show, he doesn't condone stuff.

So you want a show? Right, got it!

Oh and Bielsa is a winner and we need to be like Burnley and Brighton the teams just above the relegation zone. Mate, you are smoking something today!

So just because Smith doesn't act like a clearing in the woods on the sidelines during games people think this is how Smith and his team handle training behind closed doors?

Best London Silly Nannies GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Bielsa is a winner? Nothing in twenty years in Europe apart from a second level trophy.  

So I’ll ask you the same question as I did Villalad21.  

Given Bielsa and Smith have been at their clubs the same time and are currently in the same position, given Bielsa is a winner and I assume from the above Smith isn’t, then because they are currently level after 2.5 years is

Smith a success?
or

Bielsa a failure?

Because by your comments Bielsa should be way ahead of Smith but are currently the same, so it has to be one or the other.

Write to all the managers in the PL Nick and quote that and see what the response is.

Don't turn this in to a me slagging Dean Smith off, because that would be wide of the mark.....I have merely been picking up of one thing that has been missing and he is the manager, its his responsibility.

Dean has had far more money to spend than him and they have done better than us in their first season up.....we are both kinda equal now, but we have had a season more to do so.

Dean has a way to go, Marcelo is further in years, but if you are trying to compare quality of manager, here.....I think you will be disappointed.

Would I swap......No, and Emphatic No.....but lets get some perspective here, he is ahead of Dean Technically.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If he does, it ain't working.

So, what do you want?  Honestly do you think he should leave and be replaced?  He is going to continue to grow as a manager as he keeps doing but he’s not going to change personalities is he.  Is growth enough?

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Write to all the managers in the PL Nick and quote that and see what the response is.

Don't turn this in to a me slagging Dean Smith off, because that would be wide of the mark.....I have merely been picking up of one thing that has been missing and he is the manager, its his responsibility.

Dean has had far more money to spend than him and they have done better than us in their first season up.....we are both kinda equal now, but we have had a season more to do so.

Dean has a way to go, Marcelo is further in years, but if you are trying to compare quality of manager, here.....I think you will be disappointed.

Would I swap......No, and Emphatic No.....but lets get some perspective here, he is ahead of Dean Technically.

Ranieri, McLeish, Martinez, Harry Redknapp, Di Matteo have all won more than Bielsa in the last 25 years 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

So, what do you want?  Honestly do you think he should leave and be replaced?  He is going to continue to grow as a manager as he keeps doing but he’s not going to change personalities is he.  Is growth enough?

The second half of the season under Smith has been very disappointing, most expected more from the start we had. Grealish missing has played a big part in this, but this is where managers earn there money, making the rest of the team step up, Smith has not managed this.

Do I think he should be replaced, probably see how he does the start of next season with a few new signings, but I don't think he will be our future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â