Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yes the team is better than this. As I said, Smith has admitted he ain't getting the best out of the players, an it shows. You don't have to sign 20-30-40-50 million pound players to see aggression, graft, closing down players, the basics There's no discipline in our team mate, he is doing no better job at the moment than Lampard was doing at Chelsea.

Chelsea? You mean the team with a packed squad full of stars....that’s your comparison.  You’re not being serious now at all

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

What if we lose to West Brom? 

You still can’t compare Chelsea packed squad of stars to the Villa squad and getting results from them...it’s a nonsense argument.

Just now, nick76 said:

You still can’t compare Chelsea packed squad of stars to the Villa squad and getting results from them...it’s a nonsense argument.

So could any other manager get better from this team, or is Smith doing as good as anyone could without new signings.

Ohh, and you didn't answer "what if we lose to West Brom".

26 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I certainly have my doubts over Deano. It annoys me that each season we have had long spells of terrible form. It annoys me that he is very resistant to change. His subs annoy me. His love of McGinn annoys me. His Pep love fest the other night really annoyed me.......but..

I loved our 10 game winning  run. I loved the play off final. I loved Liverpool. In fact I loved everything up until new year. I love that he is one of us. I love that he is decent. I love his relationship with Jack which is so crucial to us.

It is not black and white. There are shades of grey everywhere. I think the fact that he is one of us just shades it for me at the moment. He deserves the start of next season. I think we will play better and win tomorrow. Hopefully that will start a period of better form. UTV

We will sign a few more quality players for the squad in the summer and we will be able to love next season for longer than we have this one, I'm sure.

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So could any other manager get better from this team, or is Smith doing as good as anyone could without new signings.

Ohh, and you didn't answer "what if we lose to West Brom".

Yeah another manager could do better from this team, just as another manager could do worse.  Smith has done really well to get us where we are in his 2.5 years, so deserves and has earned credit to continue.  If another manager came in, some might be more successful, some the same and a lot will do worse.  Mourinho did no better with Spurs, Lampard did no better with Chelsea, Carlo given his squad isn’t doing that much better but looks better after that lucky goal last night.  Nobody would’ve thought Moyes would’ve been so successful.  Wilder was lauded last season but he’s gone now and they have been relegated. Hasenhuttl was lauded on this forum but look where they are now.

So reputation and experience isn’t always an indicator of what they will do, current managers doesn’t always mean that they will be great in the coming period.  We have a manager whose team has improved season after season results wise.  That alone should give him more time.  Bringing in a new manager is no guarantee of success and could result in upheaval and failure.  Plus we’d have to start a new rebuild because they’ll want their own squad so we’ll be transition again for the next couple of seasons which’ll frustrate most on here.

As for West Brom.  If we lose I’ll be bitterly disappointed but won’t change my view because the problems we have before the game will be the same after the game.  We need to get to the summer and get more quality in, that is the same whether we win, draw or lose.  I’m sorry, my emotions aren’t impacted by each individual game but my overall thoughts are about overall growth season over season and taking into account all the factors.  

I’m sorry I’m not part of the modern TikTok generation that my views don’t change every second and my attention span isnt shorter than the immediate moment.  Yes losing to West Brom would be bad but won’t change my overall view.  In the same vein will you be positive about Smith if we beat West Brom? I assume not?

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

The problem with improvement is it needs to stick. If we were hovering around lower half all season, fair enough. But when you start off on a mission, playing entertaining attractive football and all the fans are hyped, to playing dour, mostly boring football, it tends not to be seen as a improvement, it's seen as digression. Smith has admitted the players are not playing to the best of there ability, so what's saying any new signings won't be the same under Smith. Playing devils advocate a bit.

If you continue to look at outcomes, you generally find the evidence to support your theory.

Our form has been ok, it has been a lack of scoring goals that has cost us points and the reasons for that are well known.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, striker said:

I felt totally sick for Villa fans after watching Smith give Pep an admiring glance and hug at the end of the game.

Smith then followed that one up by stating in the post match interview that Citeh had far better technical players!

If that had been Saunders, Clough, Ferguson, Moyes, or any other hardline manager they would have barely shaken Pep’s hand before going into the dressing room and given Villa’s players the hairdryer treatment. Then that type of manager would have faced the media and informed them that he had words with the players as that second half performance was totally unacceptable.

He certainly would not have implied the Citeh players were better players. Think of how that statement is going to affect the Villa players when they face Man City next season. Villa already have a long history of inferiority complex against the top six teams, in particular, Man U. Due to that statement by Smith, that inferiority complex, will be exacerbated next season again. In fact the players could react to defeat as acceptable before going onto the pitch ‘because the boss said they are better than us.’

I’m afraid Smith has now lost me due to his approach. Probably offered to clean Foden’s boots as well as shining Pep’s head.

No manager should accept defeat with a smile then run his players down in the media. Your either going to enhance that inferiority complex or give the players an excuse for defeat.

Smith has done well with Villa to get you promoted and then survival in the Premiership. However, If Villa are to challenge the top six next season you will need a winning mentality manager who will instil those qualities into the players.

Smith isn’t it!

I do get what you are saying....Its not lost on me.

I don't see the level of aggression in this team, like I would like to and Dean has already stated in the past that a team mirrors the Manager.

Pep and Biesla are winners, so is Tuchel and it shows in their Demeanor....Dean is a thoroughly nice bloke, who in many ways is doing a good job at Villa, particularly in the way of harmony and stability.....but I think these players need driving harder, and they need to develop a harder edge to their game.....(Dean is so grateful for the job, it shows at times.).....We do have some who leave everything on the pitch like the back 5, Ollie and Jack ( when he's playing) we need a few more.

I think you make some worthwhile points in that post....certainly food for thought.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

If you continue to look at outcomes, you generally find the evidence to support your theory.

Our form has been ok, it has been a lack of scoring goals that has cost us points and the reasons for that are well known.

No it hasn't it's been dour and slow, misplacing passes not being able to do the basics. You need to watch more games mate?

I don't expect to win every game and my expectations really aren't that high.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't see the level of aggression in this team, like I would like to and Dean has already stated in the past that a team mirrors the Manager.

Pep and Biesla are winners, so is Tuchel and it shows in their Demeanor....Dean is a thoroughly nice bloke, who in many ways is doing a good job at Villa, particularly in the way of harmony and stability.....but I think these players need driving harder, and they need to develop a harder edge to their game.....(Dean is so grateful for the job, it shows at times.).....We do have some who leave everything on the pitch like the back 5, Ollie and Jack ( when he's playing) we need a few more.

I think you make some worthwhile points in that post....certainly food for thought.

I'm with you hear @TRO

You never see Smith really shouting or frustrated at players on the pitch. He rarely pulls McGinn however poor he is, an he has been seriously poor in some games. He's doesn't come across a great motivator, I may be wrong, although he is really struggling to get the best out these players for a while now, you can see, they are just not working hard enough and this has nothing to do with their quality.

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah another manager could do better from this team, just as another manager could do worse.  Smith has done really well to get us where we are in his 2.5 years, so deserves and has earned credit to continue.  If another manager came in, some might be more successful, some the same and a lot will do worse.  Mourinho did no better with Spurs, Lampard did no better with Chelsea, Carlo given his squad isn’t doing that much better but looks better after that lucky goal last night.  Nobody would’ve thought Moyes would’ve been so successful.  Wilder was lauded last season but he’s gone now and they have been relegated. Hasenhuttl was lauded on this forum but look where they are now.

So reputation and experience isn’t always an indicator of what they will do, current managers doesn’t always mean that they will be great in the coming period.  We have a manager whose team has improved season after season results wise.  That alone should give him more time.  Bringing in a new manager is no guarantee of success and could result in upheaval and failure.  Plus we’d have to start a new rebuild because they’ll want their own squad so we’ll be transition again for the next couple of seasons which’ll frustrate most on here.

As for West Brom.  If we lose I’ll be bitterly disappointed but won’t change my view because the problems we have before the game will be the same after the game.  We need to get to the summer and get more quality in, that is the same whether we win, draw or lose.  I’m sorry, my emotions aren’t impacted by each individual game but my overall thoughts are about overall growth season over season and taking into account all the factors.  

I’m sorry I’m not part of the modern TikTok generation that my views don’t change every second and my attention span isnt shorter than the immediate moment.  Yes losing to West Brom would be bad but won’t change my overall view.  In the same vein will you be positive about Smith if we beat West Brom? I assume not?

There are many facets to judging a manager, Dean is ok, I like him and I like the stability and harmony he has brought....Dean is a hugely, likeable guy.

However, I would like to see a harder edge to him at times and see this animated....This team mirrors him, in my view, I would like to see him a bit miffed a bit more when we lose....not so passive.

I know managers have there own personality and way, but I suspect upsetting Dean would be no big deal, for some of them.....Thats the impression, I get.

I don't see a situation right now, that we should be thinking of replacing him, I see it more of tweaking his persona on the team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm not really sure what your point is here to be honest. You say your expectations aren't that high, but lets look at what this season for a moment. 

1) We started really well. Went on a 4-5-6 match winning streak or something. Up until December people said we looked nailed on for Europe and could probably fight it out for a CL spot.

2) Then our form fell off a cliff and we're looking as shite as we did impressive in the start of the season. Thus the league table reflects it. We're dead in the middle more or less.

Are there any reasons as to why our performances have dropped? Well there are. 

3) Our entire squad struggled with covid prior to the colossal downturn in form. 

4) Our captain and best player got injured in February and we've struggled massively without him. 

So what's the complaint here?

Assuming you think the manager is responsible of the performances, he is responsible for the good and the bad. The great start and the awful finish. It leads me to suggest he will have us fighting for Europe with a slightly better squad when key players are injured and when covid is gone. You disagree with this? 

I am really trying to understand what it is you have an issue with tbh. 

Didn't want to admit we are a 1 man team, but okay.

Lets hope we don't lose Grealish for next season, cause we will be relegated.

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

Bielsa winner 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

1 trophy in 25 years a 2nd division title

• Haha 1

On 22/04/2021 at 12:58, nick76 said:

And so he should.  

Clubs that continually change managers generally don’t advance and are mostly in turmoil.  

Managers are getting viewed over shorter and shorter periods, it used to be every two years managers got replaced now we are viewing 3.5 months since our covid training ground shutdown.

We have come a long way in 2.5 years under Smith.  Yes we are in an incredibly poor period but we’ve been through similar period only a year ago and turned it around.  The guy should have a lot of credit in the bank for what he’s done and not a reactionary action when he and the team are going through a tough time.  It’s not as if big names are doing any better...Ancelotti, Mourinho etc...jeez Moyes is currently above them and none of you would’ve took him over those two before he got the West Ham job.

Smith tends to take one big step back after two steps forward but he does eventually take two steps forward.  Nobody should want upheaval of everything we’ve done now.  We know constant change has issues and we know getting a bigger manager doesn’t always get any better results.  On a season by season basis we are advancing, I hope we have a bit more patience......

I agree, with most of that Nick, and yes managers are subject to form fluctuations, but what I would like to see is more aggression from certain players.....a more determined approach to gaining points, yes and a few flying cups or teddies out of prams, now and again.

One thing, I said one thing Dean could learn from MON, was his ability to let folk know, he was P***** off.

I thought Dean was after a coaching job with Pep, such was the awe.....We have to be more fired up than that.....He looked like a manager learning the job around Pep....when even if he is, it shouldn't be so obvious...too many handshakes, not enough bloody noses.

Edited by TRO

Â