Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I don’t understand his changes yesterday.  Maybe Barkley has looked good in training and Smith thought he could change the game?  On the pitch he looks so devoid of any confidence it’s just pointless him getting minutes at the moment. 

Im suprised he didn’t bring Davis on and push Ollie out wide. What formation were we playing once all subs had been made? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Even if we lose all our remaining 8 games (which we won’t) we’ll still have improved on last season.

I don’t buy into the idea of sacking managers who have delivered on the target that was set for them at the start of the season.

What’s happened is he’s overachieved early in the season and given some people unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved with this squad once injuries, fatigue and suspensions start kicking in.

He’s had a big Covid outbreak and a lengthy injury to his star player to deal with.

Give him another summer to build and another season to show improvement. If we haven’t kicked on then we can start saying he isn’t delivering.

But at the moment any claim that he’s “hit a ceiling” or “the project has stalled” is just factually wrong, since we’re ahead of where we were last season.

All teams have runs of bad form. Our last two games are a 3-1 win and a narrow last minute loss against one of the best sides in the world. That’s not even particularly bad form is it?

On paper it doesn't seem bad, but both performances were dire. It needed our subs to turn it around against Fulham where we had been truly abject for 75 minutes and Liverpool were there for the taking yesterday but we failed to capitalise on this despite 6 other teams previously going to Anfield and winning. We had luck on our side with VAR but we gifted them so many opportunities with poor passing/control, basically the basics, which is why it's disappointing at the moment. 

I am a big Smith fan though and he's done a cracking job and loving the fact that we are safe as houses this season, just hope he can push us on to the next level 🤞

• Like 2

£200m spend to go from mid table Chapmionship to mid table Prem is probably par for the course in this day in age. We were all buzzing with the performances of the starting XI up until the covid break. The improvement was vast. I think the job done is remarkable by all at the club. Patience is hard for a lot of people to accept, but im pleased with the job Deano has been doing. He’s a good manager and is going to get better I believe. Inconsistencies and crap performances will happen. Losing games in the last minute hadnt happened all season until yesterday, which is unheard of for this club. Next season will be the sink or swim moment for Smith. Its been a hard job to rebuild a squad like he had to coming into the PL as a rookie, think he’s performed admirably considering the factors.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, supermon said:

I'd agree, can't see him going to any of the top half teams in premier League. 

Just my opinion, I think the owners will let Smith go in the summer and go for a more well known manager. I just think they want us to push to the next level and Smith probably isn't that guy.

No chance.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

You’re all **** insane. We are mid table having nearly been relegated last year, having miraculously come up the year before. Give it a **** rest. Smith has caused us to massively over achieve and this is the happiest we should all be as villa fans since MON left. 

Money helps too, remember, he has been very lucky with finances looking at previous manages with NWSE coming in, some fans seem to forget this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t understand his changes yesterday.

Barkley being an Evertonian and Smith thinking he would be up for it would be my guess.

Nothing tactical about it though. Just blind hope and see what happens.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, supermon said:

I'd agree, can't see him going to any of the top half teams in premier League. 

Just my opinion, I think the owners will let Smith go in the summer and go for a more well known manager. I just think they want us to push to the next level and Smith probably isn't that guy.

No chance.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

5 possibly 6.

You could say the same for West ham and look where they are. It's about getting the best out of what you have, an at the moment seeing how a few players performed at the beginning of the season, I don't think we are getting the best, far from it.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

You could say the same for West ham and look where they are.

The drop off in quality behind those players is worse for us thou (imo)

But West Ham are having a remarkable season no doubt about it.

Don't get me wrong, i love Dean Smith. The job he has done has been fantastic and we can clearly see major progress.

Of course I did not expect Europe however the fact is we were in a very strong position and lost a few games we really shouldn't have. Hopefully we will learn from games against Sheff. Utd, Burnley, Newcastle etc. Because if we win them we'd be comfortably in with a shout Europe, this is the frustration as we are so close.

The reason I mentioned if we aren't comfortably top ten next season and in Europe is because I'd imagine the owners will want continued progress for their investment. Presumably they will again give Smith another £100 million or so (at least). 

Dean Smith needs to step-up or he'll be gone. It doesn't matter that we all (mostly) love him, he's a Villan and a Brummie the owners WILL want Europe next season. They would probably have wanted it this season too considering how close we are/were.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The man has worked wonders for our club, to be where we are in such a short space of time is testament to the mans management/coaching ability.

He has got every variation of the squads at his disposal since joining us in the Championship  to over perform, imagine what he can achieve with the continuation of high calibre players being recruited.

Talk of replacing Smith is bordering on disrespectful. 

We have the best manager for the job in its current capacity, he does not need replacing, we will continue to improve with this man at the helm for a good while yet and at a rapid rate as we are currently experiencing.

We are not even two seasons out of scrapping into the play offs, we are doing PHENOMENALLY well. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

The man has worked wonders for our club, to be where we are in such a short space of time is testament to the mans management/coaching ability.

He has got every variation of the squads at his disposal since joining us in the Championship  to over perform, imagine what he can achieve with the continuation of high calibre players being recruited.

Talk of replacing Smith is bordering on disrespectful. 

We have the best manager for the job in its current capacity, he does not need replacing, we will continue to improve with this man at the helm for a good while yet and at a rapid rate as we are currently experiencing.

We are not even two seasons out of scrapping into the play offs, we are doing PHENOMENALLY well. 

Indeed. Anyone pretending they aren't happy with the current league position is lying to themselves.

It will be a 'what if' season given how close we came to Europe. We will be stronger for the experience next year, with a more integrated squad and financial power to boot.

Smith will be here for a good while yet. At least when he gets it wrong, he does try to learn, and that is always encouraging. Once the squad has improvements in quality, we will see the improvements more and more, especially when it comes to game management and how subs are used, with more confidence on who can come on to influence and change matches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

I doubt it, but wouldn’t say there is no chance. 

18pts from 16 games in 2021 with hard games remaining is relegation form. 

Be careful what u wish for. You look at Stevie G or Graham Potter as replacements - and that's probably the good end of the spectrum.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Be careful what u wish for. You look at Stevie G or Graham Potter as replacements - and that's probably the good end of the spectrum.

Neither of those would get near being Villa manager nor would I want them.

Â