Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Pepe cost Arsenal 72 mill.

money spent, does not Guarantee success.....it just lowers the odds of getting it wrong.

its all about knowing what position you want filling and getting a player to bring the attributes to fill it.

The Danger, comes when too many poor signings and owners can lose interest.

We have to make sure our money, is spent wisely......we have become better at it, but we must get the right players to make a difference to us, this summer.

I know. I’m not sure how many “poor” signings there have been across the 18 to 20 brought in. Especially taking into account the fees spent.

You should probably point this out to those who have forgotten that Villa had a starting position of having one, maybe two top half premier league standard players throughout their ENTIRE squad when promotion was achieved and take that into consideration instead of just pointing out (yet again) the total expenditure with zero context.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I know. I’m not sure how many “poor” signings there have been across the 18 to 20 brought in. Especially taking into account the fees spent.

You should probably point this out to those who have forgotten that Villa had a starting position of having one, maybe two top half premier league standard players throughout their ENTIRE squad when promotion was achieved and take that into consideration instead of just pointing out (yet again) the total expenditure with zero context.

I was merely pointing out how careful, we must be to make sure Money is well spent.....sure we have improved.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

11th now.

Looking at our fixture list i'd be absolutely amazed if we managed to finish in the top half

It would be a great achievement. It can be done, but probably not without Grealish. 

Edited by vreitti

5 hours ago, Tayls said:

The reality of this is, if we played the entire season like we have done across the past four months, I reckon we’d be in another relation scrap... (if anyone has the math to confirm based on current form since Jan that would be awesome).  

Im still not convinced by what has gone on at the club since late December/early Jan has lead to this horrendous turn around in form. We have been pretty garbage since. Not a great footballing side at all, which is troubling. 

We have 18 points in 15 games since return from COVID, over the whole season it would still have us comfortably out of the relegation battle

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

11th now.

Looking at our fixture list i'd be absolutely amazed if we managed to finish in the top half

Agree. There’s still an outside chance that Wolves could catch us too. That would be very very disappointing 

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

11th now.

I think you're right that odds are we don't get top 10, but it's definitely still doable (and I wouldn't be amazed if it happened). All it needs is Grealish coming back firing, and we all know we can beat anyone in this league.

West Brom, Everton and Palace are the must wins I guess. But I fancy our chances in all the other games, even if we aren't favourites.

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Luckily you’re very rarely accurate on anything!

• Haha 3

You can say we have over achieved up till a few weeks ago, an Smith has met his goals. But every place we drop from now on, is money lost for the owners, an I doubt they will see that as a successful season like we do. We need to start winning a few or else we will finish in amongst the crap bottom half.

I'm just curious what people think a "world class" manager would have done with the current situation of Grealish being injured and Barkley being basically wrecked.

It's an interesting thought experiment. What would Klopp be doing with this squad? What would Guardiola be doing with it? Or Ancelotti? Or Bielsa if you're that way inclined...

I guess the mark of a great manager is they spot things that other people don't spot, but I'm just intrigued by what this counterfactual is where someone is doing noticeably better than Smith. What does it look like?

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I'm just curious what people think a "world class" manager would have done with the current situation of Grealish being injured and Barkley being basically wrecked.

It's an interesting thought experiment. What would Klopp be doing with this squad? What would Guardiola be doing with it? Or Ancelotti? Or Bielsa if you're that way inclined...

I guess the mark of a great manager is they spot things that other people don't spot, but I'm just intrigued by what this counterfactual is where someone is doing noticeably better than Smith. What does it look like?

We can barely win a game without Grealish. Where else is that replicated.?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

We can barely win a game without Grealish. Where else is that replicated.?

Leicester with Vardy, United with Bruno. Spurs didnt win the 2 league games that Kane missed and Bayern are struggling a bit now without LEwandowski

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have 18 points in 15 games since return from COVID, over the whole season it would still have us comfortably out of the relegation battle

Or 18 points from 16 games in 2021.  Which wouldn’t leave us comfortably out of relegation.  Especially with our remaining fixtures, which would most likely see us relegated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Or 18 points from 16 games in 2021.  Which wouldn’t leave us comfortably out of relegation.  Especially with our remaining fixtures, which would most likely see us relegated.

It was said it would replicate it over the season it would have us on around 36 points after 32 games. Fulham have played 32 games and have 26 points currently

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Leicester with Vardy, United with Bruno. Spurs didnt win the 2 league games that Kane missed and Bayern are struggling a bit now without LEwandowski

Don't think Vardy is so key to Leicester this season. They seem to miss Barnes and Maddison just as much. Not sure any team miss a player as much as we miss Grealish

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would say it's the manner of the loses without Grealish. A few games have looked like we ain't even trying and we're close to Bruce ball as some were saying. The entertainment has gone.

• Like 1

Â