Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Chap, Smith has had Billionaire owners with investment, Bruce had a chinese guy with a couple of quid. 

Look, I am neither biggin up Bruce or disrespecting what Smith has done here, but it's a little easier to progress when you have owners who are investing 100+ million each season.

But Bruce spent more during his time with Xia than Smith did with NWSE in securing promotion. And Bruce was here when they took over. So the Bruce the pauper card doesn’t fly.

Given their spend where do you think Villa should be in the league? By the same reasoning, where should Arsenal be? Sheffield United, they spent more this season than last season, where should they be compared to last season? Spurs, have spent similar to us in the past couple of summers, their league position should be what?

You seem to think we’re not aware of the amount spent. We are. We’re also aware that the squad was practically non existent when Villa came up. I asked this a couple of weeks ago (not to you specifically), what would your first xi be with the players that were at our disposal at the end of the 2018/19 season? Tell me, did you go with Bree or Elmo as centre half with Chester? Or did you extend Elphick’s contract?

That summer transfer window, Man Utd spent £50m on a right back with ONE season under his belt. That’s the market Villa were entering. Could some of the money have been spent better? Yes, I suspect it could, there’s always going to be a bargain that you look at elsewhere and think “ahhh, why didn’t we look into him?”.

But overall I think the return for the spend is probably about right. A few of these players are better than what they’ve been showing in recent weeks/months, but I also suspect another manager couldn’t get much more out of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

But Bruce spent more during his time with Xia than Smith did with NWSE in securing promotion. And Bruce was here when they took over. So the Bruce the pauper card doesn’t fly.

Given their spend where do you think Villa should be in the league? By the same reasoning, where should Arsenal be? Sheffield United, they spent more this season than last season, where should they be compared to last season? Spurs, have spent similar to us in the past couple of summers, their league position should be what?

You seem to think we’re not aware of the amount spent. We are. We’re also aware that the squad was practically non existent when Villa came up. I asked this a couple of weeks ago (not to you specifically), what would your first xi be with the players that were at our disposal at the end of the 2018/19 season? Tell me, did you go with Bree or Elmo as centre half with Chester? Or did you extend Elphick’s contract?

That summer transfer window, Man Utd spent £50m on a right back with ONE season under his belt. That’s the market Villa were entering. Could some of the money have been spent better? Yes, I suspect it could, there’s always going to be a bargain that you look at elsewhere and think “ahhh, why didn’t we look into him?”.

But overall I think the return for the spend is probably about right. A few of these players are better than what they’ve been showing in recent weeks/months, but I also suspect another manager couldn’t get much more out of them.

According to Transfermarkt, our squad is placed 10th in terms of value.

I am also not saying TM is correct, but its interesting to look at as a guide.

For reference, our squad value according to TM for 19/20, we were place 18th.

2021 PL squad value:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1

image.thumb.png.9aa7a5615d810b83673a8823520c00cd.png

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

2021 PL squad value:

image.thumb.png.9aa7a5615d810b83673a8823520c00cd.png

there is no **** way we have spent more than West Ham

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Im not necessarily against Smith leaving, im just pointing out he isn’t the Messiah some Villa fans think he is.  Its a case of rose tinted glasses with some and they just cant see any faults he has.

Not really though. Just that some focus a little more on his strengths rather than his weaknesses. Considering that we have consistently improved each season I think a lot of us are pretty damn happy with his tenure so far and for good reasons.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

there is no **** way we have spent more than West Ham

yeah, but that not about transfer spend over X years, which ofc WHam have spunked loads on, its current squad market value, a X year(s) spend would ofc look totally different.

edit: transfer spend between 16/17 and 20/21 (5 years), we are 11th!!

image.thumb.png.c86ea7d9e3f22055c346c17371d17b1b.png

in net transfer spend we are 6th (16/17 - 20/21):

image.png.7aa4b5e40ff88e5c82e9bd3bbfef900e.png

since Deano took over in 18/19, we are the 8th biggest spender (and 2nd in terms of net spend, behind only Manure):

image.png.190cc830fb382768ddfbda050cfa8c98.png

Edited by MaVilla

38 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

2021 PL squad value:

No, I’d agree, not bad for reference purposes but a bit off especially the individual estimates. Grealish being worth £54m? 

Also, it’s things like Heaton’s valuation. The world and his dog thought that at £8m, that was a great price. Now according to that site his value currently is £1.6m. 

But I suppose if they’re consistently undervaluing players for all clubs it gives a rough club by club comparison.

53 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m just a positive person, it’s better way to live life 😉

It is Nick and I totally agree.

but identifying flaws or shortfalls...is positive.

I am not suggesting, you do this, but some bury their head in the sand and that to me is negative.

In order to improve, you have to have a process, firstly, identify the flaw and then create a solution to fix it.

I know some may say its obvious, but its all well and good at saying we are signing new players in the summer.....the trick is signing players who fix our shortfalls.

signing players alone, solves nothing, unless they address what we are not very good at.....some bigger versions for me.

• Like 2

Is Dean playing Barkley, to prove to Christian Purslow that a deal in the Summer is pants.

I understand Purslow is keen to sign Barkley.....is Dean, proving him wrong to do so.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not suggesting, you do this, but some bury their head in the sand and that to me is negative.

In order to improve, you have to have a process, firstly, identify the flaw and then create a solution to fix it.

I know some may say its obvious, but its all well and good at saying we are signing new players in the summer.....the trick is signing players who fix our shortfalls.

signing players alone, solves nothing, unless they address what we are not very good at.....some bigger versions for me.

I was being sarcastic to foreveryoung for his comment directly before that, that’s all.  He’s just constantly being negative on this topic that’s all.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you on any of the above, my comment was just a play with another poster.

Plus the excuse of identifying flaws and trying to fix them is all well and good but some use that to be constantly negative and not be genuine with the flaw and fix thing you are saying.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

if we buy Barkley i would lose faith in our recruitment team and anyone who decided it would be a good idea.....

No data driven org, which we are now, would ever purchase this version of Ross Barkley 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I wish some would realise this. I'm not disrespecting what Smith has done at our club far from it, just not going over the top and realise he has a long way to go to be a top Prem manager. I'm disappointed to see the entertainment slip from the first half of the season, if some see it as all down to the players that's fine, but Smith just cannot be devoid of any criticism, it's his job to coach and motivate these players, an at the moment no one can argue we are looking like a man team.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Is Dean playing Barkley, to prove to Christian Purslow that a deal in the Summer is pants.

I understand Purslow is keen to sign Barkley.....is Dean, proving him wrong to do so.

If Purslow, or anyone else for that matter,  wants to sign Barkley they need to be taken away somewhere quiet and given all the psychiatric help they need. Dean is certainly giving him enough rope to hang himself. He has been a terrible loan signing and would be an utterly disastrous permanent signing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I was being sarcastic to foreveryoung for his comment directly before that, that’s all.  He’s just constantly being negative on this topic that’s all.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you on any of the above, my comment was just a play with another poster.

Plus the excuse of identifying flaws and trying to fix them is all well and good but some use that to be constantly negative and not be genuine with the flaw and fix thing you are saying.

Sorry, for putting my nose in the trough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If Purslow, or anyone else for that matter,  wants to sign Barkley they need to be taken away somewhere quiet and given all the psychiatric help they need. Dean is certainly giving him enough rope to hang himself. He has been a terrible loan signing and would be an utterly disastrous permanent signing. 

Hear, Hear!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Pepe cost Arsenal 72 mill.

money spent, does not Guarantee success.....it just lowers the odds of getting it wrong.

its all about knowing what position you want filling and getting a player to bring the attributes to fill it.

The Danger, comes when too many poor signings and owners can lose interest.

We have to make sure our money, is spent wisely......we have become better at it, but we must get the right players to make a difference to us, this summer.

Â