Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No, Leicester winning the league was a miracle.

Getting promoted-->Staying up--->Finishing mid to top half table has been done loads before and is hardly a miracle. Especially considering he's been handed an open wallet.

Open wallet? I missed that part.  Did we sign 40, 50, 60m players like other teams...no we didn’t. Just because we spent a lot of money, we had to because we had quite a few positions to fill and we still do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

And don't forget we had the best player and arguably the best team in the championship. An now we have possibly the best player, if not one of the best in Premier league. 

What happened to a lot of those players at the end of that championship season?🤔😂

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

I probably wouldn't go 3-5-2, although Mings has been having a few brain freezes recently so getting Hause in there as well might not be a bad idea!

I would probably look at 4-3-1-2 with BT or Trez at 10 (in Jack's absence) playing of KD & Ollie. 

I think the three in midfield should then take responsibility for covering Cash and Targett allowing them to get forward more and get the crosses in.

Don't want to be overly harsh on Trez but the idea of him playing as a 10 has nearly made me vomit in my own mouth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Just lol at some of the comments now.

Our slump in form is over a quarter of a season. The idea that the project has stalled is **** mental. You judge a manager season to season, and we have improved every season Smith has been here.

I don't get this, cause like a few have asked, will it still be seen as a success if we now can't get a win for the rest of the season.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No, Leicester winning the league was a miracle.

Getting promoted-->Staying up--->Finishing mid to top half table has been done loads before and is hardly a miracle. Especially considering he's been handed an open wallet.

FFP means no open wallet. I don’t think Smith has worked “miracles” either, but I do think he has done an excellent job every season, and that this run of form will resolve itself fairly soon.

I definitely want Smith to have at least one more season. If we’re stuck in mid table next January, then maybe we have a rethink. For now, he’s done more than enough to stay on. Plus he clearly has the backing of his own players.

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Just lol at some of the comments now.

Our slump in form is over a quarter of a season. The idea that the project has stalled is **** mental. You judge a manager season to season, and we have improved every season Smith has been here.

Season isn't over yet

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This Smith rebuilding mantra we keep hearing will only sit for so long with fans, with many already getting tired of 'we're making progress'.

Just out of curiosity, what in your view would constitute as 'progress'? Did you honestly expect CL qualification this season, given we survived the last one, by the skin of our teeth? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Open wallet? I missed that part.  Did we sign 40, 50, 60m players like other teams...no we didn’t. Just because we spent a lot of money, we had to because we had quite a few positions to fill and we still do.

We are among Europe's top spenders for the past 2 seasons.

Fact of the matter is Smith has been extremely fortunate compared to the restraints some of the other managers have to contend with.

Oh and by the way. I don't disagree that he has done a perfectly fine job. I just feel the word "miracle" has been greatly lost in here.

To me a miracle is something extraordinary. Something that is unlikely to be achieved again or very often, like Leicester winning the league or a lesser side winning a cup.

Villa finishing 5th in the Championship and getting promoted through the play offs or surviving on the last day ain't a miracle. Sorry, I am not having that.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

FFP means no open wallet. I don’t think Smith has worked “miracles” either, but I do think he has done an excellent job every season, and that this run of form will resolve itself fairly soon.

I definitely want Smith to have at least one more season. If we’re stuck in mid table next January, then maybe we have a rethink. For now, he’s done more than enough to stay on. Plus he clearly has the backing of his own players.

Don't disagree buddy.

He will get next season for sure but he is still making ton of mistakes and people have every right to ask questions.

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That’s my f**king point

So if we lose every game from now to the end of the season or even the majority of games do you still think the project is a success?

And why all the swearing, it's only discussion and banter, try not to take it all so seriously were all villa fans and United by love for this great club.

I have midland family connections but was born in Kent also.

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We are among Europe's top spenders for the past 2 seasons.

Fact of the matter is Smith has been extremely fortunate compared to the restraints some of the other managers have to contend with.

Oh and by the way. I don't disagree that he has done a perfectly fine job. I just feel the word "miracle" has been greatly lost in here.

To me a miracle is something extraordinary. Something that is unlikely to be achieved again or very often, like Leicester winning the league or a lesser side winning a cup.

Villa finishing 5th in the Championship and getting promoted through the play offs or surviving on the last day ain't a miracle. Sorry, I am not having that.

Your team's boss when they beat us earlier in the season said " today we saw the difference between a group which has been together for 3 years now and another group that have been together for not a long time. Our group understands their roles and this results in the performance which is fluid" or words to that effect.

Even if Dean Smith had a billion to spend like pep guardiola he wouldn't win the league because it takes a season or two for players to gel. Can Dean Smith take us to the title eventually? Who knows but he is improving (although I think he should have bought Davis on today). 

Edit: For the record I wanted Bielsa to manage Aston Villa when MON walked out. Pps - I would love it if we bought in Marcelo Gallardo but for now Dean Smith is doing a good job.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't get this, cause like a few have asked, will it still be seen as a success if we now can't get a win for the rest of the season.

But that’s not a great question to start with because it’s loaded negative question with no basis to results we are currently having.  we won last week, we lost today.  You are trying to start a premise that even during this incredibly poor spell we have picked up wins in durations less than what we have for the rest of the season.

What if we win every game until the end of the season? What if we go undefeated for the rest of the season? How does that change.  These are unfair questions as well.

The likelihood is we’ll win some, lose some and draw some but you are trying to drop in a loaded extreme question.

A season, probably ending up in the top ten, most likely over 50 points is a really decent season of progression compared to last season.  It looks 11th maybe the lowest position but we could end up a number of places higher and many points above 50.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Just out of curiosity, what in your view would constitute as 'progress'? Did you honestly expect CL qualification this season, given we survived the last one, by the skin of our teeth? 

From the way we started I thought we may push for a European place, not die a painful to watch death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, vreitti said:

That's taking it to the extreme Don't you think?

To answer your question. No. I didn't "expect 4th".

I also didn't expect to look like a shit show either once we lost one player to injury.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

From the way we started I thought we may push for a European place, not die a painful to watch death.

Without looking at the table I believe the teams above us have been together for longer or had Premier League football for longer. Before the covid outbreak we were not outplayed for more than 30 minutes in a game. Our momentum and flow has been stopped in its tracks. 

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sorry.

Maybe all posters who want to have a different opinion should have our posts vetted first before we click 'submit reply'..  you know..  just incase we say something wrong that you and others don't agree with.

It's posts like this that are just pathetic.

Can I vet the posts? I’d love that job....although we’d only have about 5% of other posts and 95% of my posts.  

Supreme Leader Nick I would expect to be called.

Bribes would be welcomed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's taking it to the extreme Don't you think?

To answer your question. No. I didn't "expect 4th".

I also didn't expect to look like a shit show either once we lost one player to injury.

To be fair we went down hill before Jack got injured

• Like 2

Â