Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s more important then a couple of youngsters getting some minutes is winning some games and finishing as high in the league as possible. 

I think that much is obvious.

It's still possible to win games whilst giving youth a bit of a chance too.

We should be IMO be blooding  talented youngsters into the first XI rather than play Elmo or Trez for the rest of this season. Especially being a one off in terms in no fans etc less pressure and really the last 10 games are of no importance given we won’t get into your Europe or relegated and will finish mid table whereabouts we should?! This going off topic but I see it differently and believe developing our youngsters and showing them a route forward matters more than a few odd results. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree then.

On the pitch, thats called a draw.

There's a few draws on here, lately....😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

On the pitch, thats called a draw.

There's a few draws on here, lately....😄

To be fair, on here lately between people, it’s more like both sides have walked off the pitch in disgust rather than a draw 😂

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

We should be IMO be blooding  talented youngsters into the first XI rather than play Elmo or Trez for the rest of this season. Especially being a one off in terms in no fans etc less pressure and really the last 10 games are of no importance given we won’t get into your Europe or relegated and will finish mid table whereabouts we should?! This going off topic but I see it differently and believe developing our youngsters and showing them a route forward matters more than a few odd results. 

Your sentiment is good....I too am all for blooding kids, but there is a right time and i think much thought needs to go in to that....I have no idea, when is right...its a development thing.

We have some fine young players in the academy, but they have to be physically ready, fend off the physicality of this league.....its all well and good seeing some fancy play in the under 23's.....but holding your own in the Prem, is a whole different ball game and confidence is precious, and easy to lose....they have show they are ready to cope....However, I do agree, there has to come a time, when we have to know, one way or another, if they can they survive. or can they thrive?

If they are anything like Bellingham, I would say, no worries.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Surely the coaching staff (including the U23's) would know better if players are ready to step up and be blooded in or not? It's not like Dean is averse to playing youngsters, as Ramsey's continued involvement this season shows. You might think they should be blooded in, but maybe that's not what's good for them and/or Aston Villa at the moment?

• Like 3

Don't we literally have the youngest team in the league in terms of average age? It's not as though we're in a rush to blood academy players or that most of the current starters don't have large scope to improve.

Strange thing to get worked up over given that, the competition in their respective positions (would Kesler be expected to play over Cash for example?) and just the fact that Smith sees them in training day in day out and will have a better insight on whether or not they're ready as opposed to those of us who only have U23 games to go off.

It's not something I'd worry about like I would if a Bruce or Allardyce were manager, NSWE haven't put a lot of effort into the academy in terms of both money and personnel for it to not start bearing fruit when the time is right.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Love the fact that for Scotland McGinn actually entered the box let alone scored a goal. Can't remember the last time he did either for Villa.

He had a one vs one vs Sheffield United which he embarrassingly passed to the keeper 

7 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Love the fact that for Scotland McGinn actually entered the box let alone scored a goal. Can't remember the last time he did either for Villa.

We need Mcginn to attack, we don't play him the way Scotland do, we used to but Smith has him show more restraint on the pitch and I'm not sure that's the answer with Mcginn. 

I would in the Summer get Mcginn on the right Wing or as an attacking midfielder and then go buy someone who Smith can sign and show restraint and as I've said in other threads this signing to replace Mcginn in midfield he would be really ace at cutting balls out with Luiz and certainly have amazing pass rate.

13 hours ago, thabucks said:

It’s a fair opinion.   But maybe they are just not ready or good enough?  Ramsey was given his chance in a position we have quite a few players so it’s not like the door is shut.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

14 hours ago, TRO said:

I think that was tongue in cheek.....I would certainly hope so and thats how I see it.

By the way, I don't think our season is over either ( I know you didn't say that) we need to finish as high as possible for 3 reasons.

1. To attempt to get in to Europe.

2. To position ourselves to get a better standard of player in the summer.

3. To create the momentum to finish the season, ready for next.

Hope DCjonah doesnt read this. You will be told to calm down for wanting to finish as high as possible

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hope DCjonah doesnt read this. You will be told to calm down for wanting to finish as high as possible

There is hoping and expecting though, We would all hope we get to European spots. 

Some people have been whining as of they have been expecting us to finish top 6 all along 😂

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

There is hoping and expecting though, We would all hope we get to European spots. 

Some people have been whining as of they have been expecting us to finish top 6 all along 😂

And outside of hoping and expecting, there are those that realise we were in a great position only so many weeks ago and had a great chance of making a claim for those spots you mention.

It's a shame we didn't capitalise on it due to some poor results.

With the players we have outside of our star man, some results should have been better.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

It's bizarre how anybody would not wish the absolute best for their club ie finishing as high as possible. Doubly bizarre why you wouldnt realise the benefits of doing so

I think qualifying for Europa League while great on paper would push us back a season. Is little money in it and teams like Arsenal and Spurs are struggling domestically

Worse still next season will be similar paced to this one so not worth hassle when fans wont be even allowed go in. I bet West Ham will give up on it early doors

I'm on the fence regards Europa League. I can see the obvious benefit of being able to offer European competition to summer recruits, which may or may not impact the level of player we can attract (although i suspect ££££'s is the more interesting factor to most). On the other hand it would clearly be a burden regards fixture congestion.... Unless we did a Martin O'neill and threw it if it got too much as that's surely the only way it would help with signings but not deteriorate our form next season?

Â